Newbie Questions

06MontereyBusa

Registered
Hi everyone. Just got a 06 busa 2 weeks ago. First and foremost I probably don't have to tell you this, but that bike is like sex on wheels.

I have been riding a SV650S for 5 years and I love that bike. No amount of description could prepare me for the Busa experience and my buddy who has one has told me I haven’t even hit the powerband yet.

I have some newbie questions that are probably covered in some manual I failed to read but I thought I would ask the experts first.

1st. I'm breaking in the Engine and the sales person says I shouldn't get it past 6000 RPMs for the first 600 miles. My buddy says its more like 7000. He also told me that if I don't get it to a higher (7000) RPM within the break-in period, the engine wouldn’t get the right amount of horsepower in its life. Is all of this stuff crap or is there some type of truth to this jive? If so, what is the top RPM and why?

2nd After reading various threads I have noticed there are some suggestions to ride at 29PSI on tire pressure and some people say as much as 40psi. On my SV650 I run 33 because that’s what it says on the side of the bike. Since the busa is different kind of monster I thought there would be pros to lower tire pressure than higher. Hell I don't know, that’s why I’m asking.

3rd. Exhaust? I read that complex post by Gunbaby and he doesn't directly come out and say what = what. Does a 4-2-2 H pattern cause "turbulence" Vs a 4-2-2 X pattern? What’s the deal with bolt ons? Just noise and style? I understand that a new complete system would gain me more HP once its been "mapped" correctly. What gives me the most bang for my buck. My target effect is more power between 40mph and 90mph, not so much Top end or start up. Is a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 better for this goal?

4th Alarms, best alarm I can find for the bike is a Scorpio SR-i500. Does it make a difference? I wanted a Lo-jack system but I can't get the company to call me back or email me back of where I can take my bike or buy one. I live in a very nice area but I do like to ride to San Fran once and a while

GSX1300RK6_BlackRed_640009.jpg

Welcome aboard.

First off, don't forget to post some pics of YOUR bike. That's what counts around here. And those reflectors and warning stickers, yeah, they gotta go bye bye.

Now on to your questions

1) It's like religion; everyone has a different opinion. Personally, I broke it in not going over 6K and I'm happy. Others like to break it in hard and like it just fine. Do what you know.

2) Someone else can answer

3) ditto

4) I installed an internatrix alarm and posted a review somewhere around here. Since then about 10 others have too; so far no problems I know of. I love mine for alot less $$$ than the scorpio.

Welcome  
beerchug.gif

1) I break my bikes in like the manufacture say, I just figure they know more than I do
wink.gif
, but others do whatever they believe works for them  
rock.gif

2) I run a 42 psi, what the manual says and have no problems. Of course, I do mainly Long Distance Touring so the performance guys are probably right about lowering the psi. How much, your guess is as good as mine  
alien.gif

3) HAVE NO IDEA , I'll take a coffee break on this one
coffee.gif

4) Same as above, except at home my Doberman works GREAT  
laugh.gif

Welcome and enjoy- hell part of the fun is trying to find the answers you need on H.org. Good group of people here, congrats on the busa.
smile.gif

WELCOME TO THE BEST DAMMMMMMMMMMMMM SITE ON THE NET.. THATS FOR SURE... CONGRATS ON YOU,R NEW BUSA...... ENJOY THE MADDNESS. PIN.
smile.gif
smile.gif

2413_G.gif

smile.gif

Welcome aboard. !!!
RT-1 Jardine bolt-ons love the sound
42psi fr&rr although front skids under heavy breaking(may go lower)
no alarm yet, been stolen once before i got it(was'nt me
biggrin.gif
)

Welcome and congrats on your new BUSA!

1) I believe in breaking in as the manufacturer advises. Have always done it and no problems yet, besides there are plenty of ways to increase HP far above what the BUSA was designed to reach stock!

2) Again, I go with the manual on this one. A little lower pressure is better for stickyness to the road but takes away from your mileage. Just depends on how you ride........

3 and 4) Defer to other org members..

Congrats on the new bike and Welcome to the board . 1 ) Break-in , I have heard from a good bit of people that if you follow what the manual says about break-ins , the bike will not perform to it's maximum capabilities once all the parts are seated like they should .Now they weren't saying , go out see how many times you can hit a rev-limiter in a day . Just don't be afraid to go over 6 or 7 grand for " short " amounts of time . So , not knowing what to do , much like yourself , I just did a little of both . Hope it was for the best ! 2 )I follow the manual on tire pressure . Most people will tell you running lower pressures , equal a bigger contact patch to the ground and in return ....more traction . But , the drawback is , lower pressure also equals less tire life . 3) & 4 ) Don't have much I can help ya with on those .... I can tell you , if you just want better sound with very little cash to fork out , stick with the 4 into 2 and just buy the slip-on cans .

I'm a break it in as you would ride it type of guy. never had problems with this. The biggest thing from what i hear is varry the RPMs alot. don't run at like a constant 3000RPM (as an example)

Now by using factry break in method if something does go wrong you have more recorse than i would. but most of all be carefull, this is NOT an SV! get use to the Busa or it'll kill ya =)

Bolt ons = notihng but noise. get a pipe you like the look and sound of. i went with HMF 4-2 high mounts. but everyone has there own look and style. all the high end pipes are good. BUT they do make a massive performance difference.

<!--EDIT|Cykill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137865347 -->

STEVEN_001a.jpg

The breakin period is all about back pressure.  Ride it to about 9000-10,000 in first and second and then decelerate hard all the way back to zero.  Do it over and over again for the fist 20 miles.  Go to moto-man.com (sorry no link) he knows what he's writing about.  I did mine this way.  Qualcomm stadium parking lot worked great
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

1. Break-in. The only thing you need to know is change the oil after the first 20 miles and again at 600 and you'll be fine. These days, tolerances are so good in the factories that it doesn't really matter how you break it in. Personally, I'd ride it like I stole it but, that's just me.

2. ALWAYS use the tire pressure as recommended by the manufacturer and printed on the sidewall of the tire. Double check when you change tires. This applies to your cars, too. When we had that big Firestone scandal/trial a few years ago, one of the things that came out is that the tire guys are the ones who know tires and they are the ones to be trusted. Not that stupid label on the bike or on the car door.

3. I know NOTHeeeeeng!!

4. Whatever alarm makes you feel good. I use the Scorpio, partly because their customer service can't be beat. But that's just me. Lojack? Waste of money in my opinion. I, too, could never get a call back from these losers and frankly, all you have to do is toss the bike in an enclosed panel truck and boom: Lojack is disabled. Furthermore, I refuse to pay a subscription monthly. Save the money and buy the comp insurance.

Cheers! You're gonna love your Busa.

--Wag--

Break in;
I followed the manufacturer's break-in procedures.  Other guys ride it like they stole it.  Varying the rpm is the biggest point during break-in.  And do the oil changes!!

PSI;
I run 38/40psi for commuting and 34/36psi in the canyons/trackday.  That is front/rear psi.

Exhaust;
Hmmm, everyone will have their own opinions on this.  I went for a 4-2-1 for chain maintenance, looks, and weight savings.  Cleaning/lubing the chain is soo much easier with the pipe/can in your way.  And slip/bolt-ons are for looks and noise only.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137899380 -->

Back