new rifle advice

UPDATE-
i went with the savage model 11 in .308 - i love this rifle!
decent groups with hand-loads (168gr sierra match king, tightest with 25 gr of sr-4579)

20140510_171830[1].jpg

That's excellent accuracy! But why a reduced load using SR-4759 - muzzle velocity is only around 2200 fps? The .308 Win. is capable of launching the 168 gr Sierra bullet at around 2800 fps.

I have a Ruger M77 Mk II RSI in .308 Win. I installed a Jard trigger kit and it shoots sub-inch groups at 100 yards. I use 180 gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets and Reloader 15.

m77jard.jpg

Lots of "package" guns come with factory bore sighted scopes. None of which are much use other than a paper weight.

OP- just about any factory rifle will shoot sub moa at a given yardage if the shooter takes the time to find the ammo the rifle likes. The trick is to find the ammo that will shoot sub moa regardless of the range. Good luck!

Sent from my dunce stool

+ 1 - Some rifles will group well with any cartridges; however, some rifles are very finicky about bullet weight.

Also - I agree with the comments about Savage. Best dollar to accuracy rifle on the market. I have a cheap Savage .243 that is spooky accurate. I have shot at least one .33 MOA almost every time out. And shoots .75 all day. I can only assume that if I wear a better marksman the rifle would deliver .33 or better regularly.

Also, check scoop rings - try a know good scope (the internals may be defective), is the trigger pull to heavy or inconsistent? if you can't tighten the groups take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber specs checked.

found it!! - BL-C(2) powder (42gr), 168 gr sierra match king bullet heads at 200 yds- .5" groups! damn i love this rifle... (sorry no pic - got excited and forgot to snap one...), oh, and i upgraded(?) scope to barska 32X vs bushnell 12X that was included... i think i need a better scope - any out there that need a good home?

UPDATE:
200yds, 43gr BL(C)-2, 168gr sierra match king - (just the 5 in the middle- the others are from a different batch[46gr]- obviously no good)

20141004_150858.jpg

Glad you found a good load for it.

BLC-2 happens to also be my go-to powder for my .223 loads too. It consistantly groups tighter than the other 5 powders that I tested with my cheaper plinking projectiles.

Back