My new long range build

Plan for me is to finally hit a range this Thurs. and shoot my new rifle(got it just before Christmas:laugh:).

I'm looking at my schedule to pick my next range day. Going with my brother who is a sharpshooter and also taking my lady friend with shot competition in high school.

As for the scope level, I looked into that ball level but havent heard enough about it to really decide on it. I see his point of view with being able to see everything without having to move your head.

Also, what I didnt mention was i wrapped my cheek rest in foam padding. Feels so much better.

That'll be a couple of my next purchases. Front and rear bags to rest on. The range I go to has sand bags but they're left out to the elements. I also need a good range bag.

I picked up 2 of the BullsBags for the bench,a 10" and a 15".Slightly pricey(fill them yourself with cat litter to whatever firmness you like)but seem like the best around.Cradles the rifle so well you may not even need to use a rear bag on the bench.
15" Black with Suede Top Gun Rest | Rifle Shooting Bag | Bulls Bag

I'm looking at my schedule to pick my next range day. Going with my brother who is a sharpshooter and also taking my lady friend with shot competition in high school.

As for the scope level, I looked into that ball level but havent heard enough about it to really decide on it. I see his point of view with being able to see everything without having to move your head.

Also, what I didnt mention was i wrapped my cheek rest in foam padding. Feels so much better.

I fooled around with mine too(added a piece of neoprene)but ended up taking it off and also going with foam pad setup,much better.:super:

I use a thick bright colored string with a weight at the bottom and hang it from somewhere. Use it to serve as a plumb line to focus on.

Did that on my wall with a plumb bob/aimed the rear of my scope towards it from about 2' away and with the lights off put a flashlight up to the objective end which showed the reticule along side of the plumb line.Pretty sure everything is about 99% close(even timed the muzzle brake with a level to be the same as the reticule/anti-cant level),but I'm as anal as you are and have to triple check everything or it bugs me 'til I do.:laugh:

Well,just blew another $300.Ordered one of those ceramic ball levels,a couple of those roll up rear rest bags,and a chamber cleaning kit from Brownells.:DMy scope leveling kit(3 levels)showed up this morning so gonna go play around with it now.

Well,just blew another $300.Ordered one of those ceramic ball levels,a couple of those roll up rear rest bags,and a chamber cleaning kit from Brownells.:DMy scope leveling kit(3 levels)showed up this morning so gonna go play around with it now.

Brownells is awesome. I stop by the store every couple of weeks to fondle the merchandise.

I'm getting into long range shooting and wanted a good platform to start with. Quality is everything so I knew I wanted something from a reputable company. After doing research on rifles and calibers, I knew I wanted to shoot 6.5 Creedmoor and now to find the suitable rifle.

After reading reviews and watching videos, I decided on Ruger. Found this one for a great price and nicely equipped with a low round count owned by a guy who works for Daniel Defense.

It's a Ruger Precision Rifle. Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. From the factory, it comes with a 24" free floating barrel with a 1:8 twist rate and 5/8-24 threaded tip for your choice muzzle break or suppressor. Free floating hand guard with key mod accessory rail. Folding stock with adjustability for cheek rest height and total length. Double action trigger with pull adjustments ranging from 2-6 lb draw. The rifle is very loosely based on an AR platform, in that it accepts any AR magazine, AR hand grip, and AR stock.

The extras on this one include a Harris bipod, Burris XTR II scope in 5-25x50 optics with Burris MOA adjustable scope rings, DPMS hand grip with palm shelf, picatinny anti-cant bubble level, Atlas monopod, and CTK extended magazine release.

Next gun mods will be a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel and Lancer Systems carbon fiber hand guard.

In due time, I'll be hitting targets at 1500m with ease.

In case anyone is interested in doing this, here are the financials of this build:

Rifle - 1500
Scope - 1200
Bipod - 80
Scope rings - 100
DPMS hand grip - 40
Atlas monopod - 90
Mag release - 40
CF barrel ( coming soon ) - 920
CF hand guard ( coming soon ) - 300

View attachment 1591354
Exotic Rifle and powerful as hell!!!

The game plan is to hit a range tomorrow morning,mama should get a few pics on her phone.Almost 40 years since I've fired a rifle bro,I may not be able to sleep tonight.:laugh::super:

Rookie.....lol

Lead therapy behind a pistol is good. Lead therapy behind a high powered rifle is glorious.

I hear ya brother,I feel like I used to when a bunch of us would plan a ride for the next morning.:laugh:Called the range earlier today and the guy I spoke to was cool,told him I'd never been to a real range before and if I missed a rule or something to just yell at the old bastard(me).He said no problem,they have another old bastard who would keep an eye on me.:laugh:I think this particular range only goes out to about 200 yds. but that's fine,I just want to get it on paper at 25 and then sight in at 100.Gonna start out with some Hornady 180 gr.(have 140 rounds to burn up but will probably only shoot 20 or so),then maybe a few of the Hornady 178 gr. Tap(have a 100 of those)and maybe a few each of the Berger 185 gr. Juggernaut,215 gr. Hybrids,and 230 gr. Hybrids.Have already stripped of the Atlas bipod,pic rail,etc. so there won't be anything to interfere with the 15" BullsBag during recoil,will put it back on for next time and probably start shooting pretty exclusively with it from there on out,etc.Gonna go load up my range bag right now,fun playin' around with all that stuff.:laugh:

@GAmedic if you were a little closer to my house I would recommend joining fort Stewart where I hunt. Besides being loaded with hogs and coyotes, there are fields there that are massive that you can shoot on. They aren’t designated ranges but some of them are at least a mile of unobstructed space that you can shoot in. They have long range shoots on the base as well.

Back