Air Rifle

Sir T Rex

Registered
Here is my situation. We have a few chickens in my yard...as "pets" that pay rent. We started with 6, a hawk got one. From the 5 that we had, wifey went and got 2 more chicks...now we are at 7.

Here is my blood starts boiling. A raccoon got into my coop in the past 2 nights and got 2 of my Batam chickens. I caught it trying to go back for seconds, but with my quick thinking, I did not make it "holy" with my trusty 10mm.

So, now I need an air rifle. Cant use a handgun, AR-15, or the 7mm Mag. Can anyone give a good recommendation on an air rifle? Money is no object.

I am making this purchase today...I want this SOB dead or at least not coming back around here no more, no more, no more, no more.... That raccoon has cost me about a half dozen eggs a week...

Beeman or Ruger got good reviews from Amazon. Have a store nearby (walmart, big 5, etc.) that sells air rifles? OK to use a .22 LR in your area?

RUGER

21KLyj-X4wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BEEMAN

21IvlMDJ-6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am within the city limits and I think a .22 would be a touch too much. I am thinking of the .22 air rifle but at the minimum the .177. I was about to hit it with a Glock 10mm last night, but decided against it because I am trying to get a job with the very guys that would have been coming to the "shots fired" call...lol. That wouldnt be good at the oral board...lol

A coon is a bit big for an air rifle, but how about this? Mostly silent, completely lethal, not nearly as risky with regard to ricochet, ammo is reusable.

1.png

Or a live trap with cat food in it. Put the trap against a wall, and put the food against the far wall, and poke holes in it with a screwdriver.

Then you can do what you want, at your leisure

Gamo whisper in 177 is what I used to use. Shot placement is key. Use a heavy hunting pellet.

Then I upgraded to an RWS 34 in 22.

Then i upgraded to M&P 15-22 with a liberty suppressor and subsonic ammo. One shot, one kill.

The Gamo will do the job, but you need to practice. A springer air rifle is difficult to shoot accurately and consistently. A different animal indeed.

The best advice so far as airguns go is the RWS 34. Finding a .22, good luck. WalMart sells junk. If you want quality, may sugguest a
Beeman RX-2, in .22 cal. Get Crosman 14.3gr Premiers, and JSB 15.9 gr pellets. Your chicks will be safe.
Here is a link, Beeman Precision Airguns
Call Steve @ Pomona AIG. Good guy. YOU said price is no limit. Pass it on down to the kids or grand kids in 30 years.

Im not sure an air rifle will do the trick against a raccoon, i agree with SKnight. Use a compound bow or if your not proficient use a crossbow:thumbsup: No noise and less risk. You said money wasnt an option so you could get a really sweet crossbow with sights, lasers, bells, and whistles:laugh: That ole raccoon wont know what hit him literally.....

As a teen I had access to an old beat up .22 long riffle (my buddies dad didn’t lock the safe) so we would take it out in the small patch of woods between our two neighborhoods. Shove a potato on the end of it and you have a home grown silencer. If you get an sir riffle it better be a damn good one…you won’t kill a koon with a Wal-Mart air riffle. I had one that was 1200 feet per second (.22) and only a perfectly placed shot would drop a Jack Rabbit. Otherwise it would take 3 or 4 shots to take it out.

My .22 must be quieter than yours. No pillows, bottles, or potatoes needed!
226wCan.JPG

Links,

rifle coon hunting 3 - YouTube[/url]

control around the bird feeders - YouTube[/url]

?????? Say what?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Remington, .177....makes a messs out of the squirrels that keep throwing stuff on my roof...It was a bobos purchase, it is the Vantage series. Cher it out!!:thumbsup:

Back