New Pipe just Arrived!! EXCITING!!!

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Just had a new FMF muffler arrive by post today from ProCycle USA, Springfield Oregon.
Only took 12 days from the day I ordered it and paid for it online, and I also ordered a jet kit for the carbie too.
Pipe was US$385 and the jet kit was US$79.95.
This is for a job on a customer's bike I'm doing at home in my shop.
It's a 2013 Honda XR650L, a great bike and worthy of some great upgrades . . ya gotta love made in the USA products, these FMF pipes are awesome.
Gonna fit it all up this weekend and I'll post up a pic when it's done.

IMG_2058.JPG

Just had a new FMF muffler arrive by post today from ProCycle USA, Springfield Oregon.
Only took 12 days from the day I ordered it and paid for it online, and I also ordered a jet kit for the carbie too.
Pipe was US$385 and the jet kit was US$79.95.
This is for a job on a customer's bike I'm doing at home in my shop.
It's a 2013 Honda XR650L, a great bike and worthy of some great upgrades . . ya gotta love made in the USA products, these FMF pipes are awesome.
Gonna fit it all up this weekend and I'll post up a pic when it's done.

View attachment 1632948
I thought u finally got an fmf for your dr when I seen the title.

I thought u finally got an fmf for your dr when I seen the title.
Lol, yeah, that was the click bait title huh.
I will order one very soon for my DRZ, but I'm doing some paid jobs on bikes here at home to be able to pay for it. . . and the XR650L is one of those jobs, I also have a Kawa EX250 Ninja race bike Im setting up and maintaining for a friend, also a GasGas 450 enduro bike that I'm Adventure-ising for another guy, and then there's my other mate that has 4 DR650's that I'm contracted to maintain for his adventure tourism business, so I'm very busy at present and will have enough $$$ for my pipe, a stroker crank (extra 2mm stroke), a big bore kit taking it out to 470cc . . . and then racetech gold valves and uprded springs for front and rear suspension!
Can't wait!!!

Had a couple of fitment issues . . . dang!
The rear luggage rack/pack rack 'L' bracket no longer fits, the FMF mount is right in the way and takes up the little space there was with the stock muffler.
Also the muffler now contacts the rear guard and is starting to melt the plastic.
Gonna have to think up some solutions to these problems . . .
I'll space the muffler out a few millimeters using washers between the muffler mount and the chassis mount hole to give some clearance to the plastic guard, as for the 'L' bracket . . . hmmmmm . . . will have to make something up to sort that problem.
She's a nice tidy low miles XR, 2013 model, the guy paid NZD$8995 (USD$6444) last year for it.
28ADFB11-F56A-45B0-8FBD-1F8299B67958.jpeg

Below . . a really nice precision slip joint, eliminating the need for a clamp system to the header pipe. A bit of HT silicone and she ain't leaking at all!
30AED0E3-1ED0-4F47-8B7D-6F1CA4083629.jpeg

2CDF163D-A8CD-421C-8667-2651B6BEAF91.jpeg

B6D672F9-A1D4-40E4-AB70-88DBAB3374FA.jpeg

53481370-BCBC-435F-85F0-93681304C00F.jpeg

If you're wondering about the 'Zambezi' graphics . . the bike was imported from South Africa, surprise, surprise!! Lol.

Last edited:
Ok, so I fitted the Dynojet jet kit as per instructions, replaced the OEM 152 main jet with a 165, replaced OEM needle and set it to middle circlip position as per instructions, also fitted new diaphragm/slide spring supplied.. . . . started the bike and the idle and pilot jet (OEM) circuit ran spot-on, rode the bike and it would not take full throttle . . AT ALL!! Just fell flat on it's face when given full throttle. Very disappointing.
Checked plug color, black and sooty, way rich.
Cleaned the plug and started going down in main jet sizes, 160, 155, 150, still not taking WOT, so I thought "It's gotta be the needle and spring I replaced", . . . . so for the 5th time I took the carb off and refitted the old OEM needle and spring, refitted carb and whaddya know? Yup. . .she's back to running on all throttle positions, but a tad lean with the 150 jet . . soooooo . .
I've fitted a 155 jet. out for a test ride and I think I've nailed it!
Running well, good plug color, and sounds great!
So the next job was to remove the smog apparatus, looks so much better and cleaner too.
Pics (mandatory) posted up for your perusal and pleasure lol.

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

Ok, so I fitted the Dynojet jet kit as per instructions, replaced the OEM 152 main jet with a 165, replaced OEM needle and set it to middle circlip position as per instructions, also fitted new diaphragm/slide spring supplied.. . . . started the bike and the idle and pilot jet (OEM) circuit ran spot-on, rode the bike and it would not take full throttle . . AT ALL!! Just fell flat on it's face when given full throttle. Very disappointing.
Checked plug color, black and sooty, way rich.
Cleaned the plug and started going down in main jet sizes, 160, 155, 150, still not taking WOT, so I thought "It's gotta be the needle and spring I replaced", . . . . so for the 5th time I took the carb off and refitted the old OEM needle and spring, refitted carb and whaddya know? Yup. . .she's back to running on all throttle positions, but a tad lean with the 150 jet . . soooooo . .
I've fitted a 155 jet. out for a test ride and I think I've nailed it!
Running well, good plug color, and sounds great!
So the next job was to remove the smog apparatus, looks so much better and cleaner too.
Pics (mandatory) posted up for your perusal and pleasure lol.

View attachment 1633018

View attachment 1633019

View attachment 1633020

View attachment 1633021

View attachment 1633022

View attachment 1633023

View attachment 1633024

View attachment 1633025

View attachment 1633026

View attachment 1633027

View attachment 1633028

View attachment 1633029
Yea, ain't carbs fun....I sure don't miss them. Although I have lots of small engines which have them, I always run them dry so they don't gum up on me.

It wouldn't have taken much more fuel with only a slip on....have to have a full system and intake mods for it to want more fuel.

Glad you've got it running proper though....the owner will appreciate your work

Back