New guy here with a IMPORTANT and TIME SENSITIVE question

motor swap shouldn't be that tough. i've never done one on my Busa, but on other bikes i've done, it's pretty straight forward.

Any compatibility issues between years if only swapping the motor? From what I understand, the 99 & 00 ecu is pre-restricted so not sure if that is an issue with anything.

Also are the trans & motor one piece? The guy I'm looking to buy the 00 from said something about having the 2nd gear undercut.

ANYONE in JAX what to help out a new Bro do a motor swap :thumbsup:

DM

Welcome to the org. :welcome: It really doesn't sound like that good of a deal for you. If you haven't even opened the laptop could you send it back?

run.....this bike is trouble.

Even if I swapped the motor with an 05 motor / 5300 miles?

Are you guys thinking it has more issues than just a bad motor?

I don't mean to keep questioning you guys, I'm just trying to understand....

When I bought my 99 Trans Am vert, it had a blown LS1, but I'm building a 450ci stroker for it... this is the way I'm looking at the situation here... If I can get an 05 motor for $1500 obo it's not SO bad.

I mean if these bike are truly that much of a throw away, when the motor goes, then that sucks. What I am trying to say is, and please don't think me rude or being an asshat, but when we are talking about Camaros or T/As with a blown motor, we look at it as an opportunity ;)

Now if you guys are thinking there is more to the situation with this bike, like a bent frame, then I COMPLETELY understand, lol... but again, I am just trying to understand why these bike are a total loss if the motor goes. ;)

Edit: See I was more expecting that you guys say something on the lines of.... the motor is more than likely shot. Pick up a good used motor if you want and install it, if not, then stay away... or something like that... not that it is a total loss.

DM

:welcome:aboard, I'd look at another bike, plenty of bikes out there that you won't need to work on to ride. Good luck in my (Taken) voice. :thumbsup:

Even if I swapped the motor with an 05 motor / 5300 miles?

Are you guys thinking it has more issues than just a bad motor?

I don't mean to keep questioning you guys, I'm just trying to understand....

When I bought my 99 Trans Am vert, it had a blown LS1, but I'm building a 450ci stroker for it... this is the way I'm looking at the situation here... If I can get an 05 motor for $1500 obo it's not SO bad.

I mean if these bike are truly that much of a throw away, when the motor goes, then that sucks. What I am trying to say is, and please don't think me rude or being an asshat, but when we are talking about Camaros or T/As with a blown motor, we look at it as an opportunity ;)

Now if you guys are thinking there is more to the situation with this bike, like a bent frame, then I COMPLETELY understand, lol... but again, I am just trying to understand why these bike are a total loss if the motor goes. ;)

DM

I understand that you might be looking at a "steal". the bike sound like it has lots of extras and with a motor swap you will be getting a great deal. I worry when people blow up bullet proof motors.

my concern is...can you trust this guy? is he a friend?

have you seen the bike?

my worry is that it is somebody POS racer, that was beat to hell and now they are trying to get something for it. having built cars you know, between something that was modded by some joker compared to someone that knows what they are doing.

you say your laptop will be hard to sell, which means this guy will have a hard time selling it too. make me think think three things are going to happen:

after the trade he will
1. sell it for almost nothing, to make some quick cash.....IF he wants to sell it, offer him the $1500 you plan to use to get the bike running and do the work yourself.

2. use it. If he wants to use the computer....go to Best Buy, get him a $600 computer and work the trade. saving your cash, and the expensive computer to sell and finance the repairs.

I understand that you might be looking at a "steal". the bike sound like it has lots of extras and with a motor swap you will be getting a great deal. I worry when people blow up bullet proof motors.

my concern is...can you trust this guy? is he a friend?

have you seen the bike?

my worry is that it is somebody POS racer, that was beat to hell and now they are trying to get something for it. having built cars you know, between something that was modded by some joker compared to someone that knows what they are doing.

you say your laptop will be hard to sell, which means this guy will have a hard time selling it too. make me think think three things are going to happen:

after the trade he will
1. sell it for almost nothing, to make some quick cash.....IF he wants to sell it, offer him the $1500 you plan to use to get the bike running and do the work yourself.

2. use it. If he wants to use the computer....go to Best Buy, get him a $600 computer and work the trade. saving your cash, and the expensive computer to sell and finance the repairs.

I see where you're coming from Bro and all good points; I just wish this thing was easier to sell, lol... like I said, no one needs a $4700 laptop when a $400 LT will do just find, lol...

Well... I guess I will just pass on it then. Plus my pistons for my 450 are going to run me almost $1500 so better to get those than the motor, lol...

I doubt anyone will bite, but do you think the mods would mind if I put my LT up for trade here?

Well... one day I'll have my busa, lol...ehhh...

DM

Why would u want to swap motors and go through all that before u can ride it. I say since the computer isn't opened take it back get a refund and buy a decent bike. Anyone willing to part with their beloved bike for a computer says to me the bike is well beyond fixable. IMO

if it was just the motor that needed replaced then it wouldn't be too bad, but the description you gave about the bike says to me it was a drag strip bike, undercut gears, shift light, light front wheel, manual cam tension... sux you don't just have the cash , trades are always harder to find.

Bottom line is that the bike isn't worth half of what he's asking. If your computer was worth around 2K or had skipped teeth on the hard drive, go for it and plan to swap the motor. It might be just a head........ or pistons, cylinders, crank who knows what until it's torn down. The other thing is all those so called upgrades are listed at new retail prices, not used prices and sounds like it has mismatched wheels. Why? ebay replacement because of crash damage? New plugs, chain, sprockets, cush drives add no value.

AND who knows what your going to get when you buy a motor off ebay. If you don't have the cash to buy a bike you can't afford to trade for this one!

if it was just the motor that needed replaced then it wouldn't be too bad, but the description you gave about the bike says to me it was a drag strip bike, undercut gears, shift light, light front wheel, manual cam tension... sux you don't just have the cash , trades are always harder to find.

Ahhh... I see now... From the way it is equipped, you guys think it was setup to race instead of a street bike.

But if I can get a 05 motor with 5300 in it for $1500 or less then it wouldn't be so bad was the way I was thinking. Hell, I'm sure I could even sell the blown motor in the 00 for a few to get a little back from the $1500.

Yeah I wish I could just sell the damn LT and buy what I want, but trades are never 100% perfect for either party.

DM

IMO if the bike was in good running condition it might be a decent trade. As it sits with what you have told us with the blown motor it is probably worth MAYBE $2k and that's if you part it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A TRE retards the timing, it also de-restrists the 186mph top speed by tricking the ecu into thinking it's in 5th all the time. so on that 2000 it wouldn't make a difference talking top speed.

Ahhh... I see now... From the way it is equipped, you guys think it was setup to race instead of a street bike.

But if I can get a 05 motor with 5300 in it for $1500 or less then it wouldn't be so bad was the way I was thinking. Hell, I'm sure I could even sell the blown motor in the 00 for a few to get a little back from the $1500.

Yeah I wish I could just sell the damn LT and buy what I want, but trades are never 100% perfect for either party.

DM

05 engine is not a direct replacement for an 00. You are going to have more money tied up in the wiring harnesses to run the 05 EMU, or sensors to run the 00 EMU.

Back