New guy here with a IMPORTANT and TIME SENSITIVE question

Devils Mentor

Registered
Hey there guys!

I'm sorry to be so quick about this, but I am looking for some info like ASAP!

This weekend I am going to picking up a 00 Busa on a trade. The bike has many upgrades, but the "only" issues is that the bike slipped timing by 2 teeth. Per the owner, he did a leak down test and it looks like the valves in cylinder 1 & 2 are shot. The head is still on the bike so not sure if a good assumption can be made of the damage. The owner advice me that it would be easier to just buy a head off ebay and have it installed.

I am trading my brand new $4700 Alineware laptop for this bike so I want to get an idea of the situation. Now I know that you guys can't be 100% on this, but I would think that there is a "norm" of the possible type of damage that can happen.

Below are the detail of the bike... Please let me know your thought ;)

Thanks guys!

DM

Here for your consideration is a non running 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa.
This is the last year of unrestricted engines.
The cam chain tensioner failed and damaged some valves.
The head can easily be replaced if you are a mechanic or have mechanical skills.
The bike in running condition could sell for $4800 easy with all the mods it has.
This bike has a CLEAN FLORIDA TITLE which counts for alot as it can be fixed and resold with ease.
Also it could be parted out but that would be a shame since it does have the CLEAN TITLE.
Would be a great bike for a dedicated track or 1/4 mile project

THIS IS A LIST OF ALL THAT IS INSTALLED:

This Transmission Has the Undercut Second Gear Already done.......
YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A BAD SECOND GEAR ON THIS BIKE.....This happens to Most Busa's Regardless of Year!!!

The plastics are all oem abs and are worth $500 alone

Wave rotors front and rear W/ ALMOST NEW PADS.. 3K ON THEM

Shorty adjustable levers

EK 530 chain and new front rear sprocket done 2k miles ago

REAL Carbon fiber front fender $300 alone

FULL 08 tail conversion , 08 SUB FRAME ASWELL $ 500 alone

Billet black kick stand

AKROPOVIC CARBON / TITANIUM FULL HEADER EXHAUST (NOT JUST A SLIPON!) $1200 alone!!

PC3-USB Mapped all cables and software $350 alone!!

Yoshimora adjustable cams

Real Suzuki gel seat $200 alone !!

Tank pad

Frame Sliders

Aluminum black chain guard

Full BMC Ram Air Induction System including small box....with BMC filter.

DYMAG Forged Magnesium Light Weight front wheel

Upgraded Crush drive and bearings with almost new front pilot power

APE manual Cam Chain Adjuster

Ivan's TRE

Brake and clutch reservoir custom caps

Led Shift light...fully adjustable....

Stainless steel brake lines all 3 and clutch line ...with new fluids

Heavy duty clutch springs and clutch slave support done to correct clutch recall

Driver billet black pegs

Lowering triple clamp, rear lowering kit set at 1/2 lower then stock

HID's with ballast

Gorilla shock Alarm with remote

New NGK IRIDIUM plugs 1000 miles ago

New fuel pump

New starter with second generation starter clutch and drivetrain

Comes with solo cowl and seat.

if the computer is worth almost $5k you are gettin a bum deal. if it has the damage you say it has the motor sounds like it might be toast. it sounds like someone wanting to unload a blown up drag bike. you could have well over $10,000.00 in it before your done. unless you want a heck of a project, you may be better off with a different Busa.

:welcome: to the ORG.:cheerleader:

WOW! $10K because the timing slipped 2 teeth, I don't understand; how much are 00 engines? I see on ebay they 07+ are around $3k and yes, that defeats the Purpose of the trade, lol, but I don't understand the $10K part.

If I get him to take the head off would that help to evaluate the damage? I know about car, I'm building an 800-/+hp Trans Am as my daily driver, lol, but I know nothing about mechanics.

And thank you for the Welcome! :D

DM

DM, this is a really stupid response, but why are you messing with bike with such a major problem, plus springing ~$5000 for a bike with 'issues'. Ntm, this bike is 10 yrs old. :poke:

I just paid $8000 for this 2008 Busa below in near showroom condition with 974 miles on it. Does that bring you back down to earth on what the '00 Busa is worth? $5K? Two shot cylinders? Sheesh. Why bother.

They made over 100,000 Hayabusas and this is the best you can find for $5K of your hard earned money?

displayimage.php

I'd plan on putting another 2k into before you can ride it. May need a whole new motor. Seller says this broke, but he may be playing down the damage. Price out those in your area, or online plus shipping and add that to the cost. If you can sell the computer can find another Busa for 5k. Just my .02

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

2000 Hayabusa

if its not a scam it aint a bad deal.

Yeah seen that, but was looking to trade :(

Are you in Florida? I'm in JAX.

DM

Sounds like a bad deal

Damn, suck to know that 2 teeth really screws up these beauties!

Let me ask... I found a 00 engine on ebay for $1200; I would assume swapping the motor is doable and for $1200 that not too bad.

I've always wanted a Busa, but been more into cars and racing to afford one. Hell... the price of my crank for my 450 stroker cost almost as much as what a early model Busa goes for, lol...

DM

once you start getting all the little parts together, the money adds up. and while you have it apart why not go big bore, rebuild it bigger better faster stronger maybe turbo or supercharger for $6k, and another $2800 in labor....:whistle: see where im goin here. it can be really easy to get some big money tied up in just a "simple rebuild".

I would sell the computer and look for another bike, one of my friend is selling his 01 for 5K and is having no luck, you might find bikes lower in price, good luck

DM, this is a really stupid response, but why are you messing with bike with such a major problem, plus springing ~$5000 for a bike with 'issues'. Ntm, this bike is 10 yrs old. :poke:

I just paid $8000 for this 2008 Busa below in near showroom condition with 974 miles on it. Does that bring you back down to earth on what the '00 Busa is worth? $5K? Two shot cylinders? Sheesh. Why bother.

They made over 100,000 Hayabusas and this is the best you can find for $5K of your hard earned money?

displayimage.php

Damn that's pure SEX!

The thing is that most will never think about spending $4700 for a laptop, lol, so trying to sell it is next to impossible. Hell, Dell dropped it off a week and a half ago and I still haven't opend the box so it is NEW NEW, lol, and I can't get a bite.

I just don't have the cash to spend and I was hoping to make a trade with the LT. Like i said above, I am more into Street car, but I've always wanted a Busa. I won't mod it or anything, I like it just the way they are.

It'd be tits if I could find someone with a cherry and be willing to trade, but like I said, a $4700 laptop is a niche that is hard to find a buyer for... those who want it can't afford it and those who can already have it, lol...

DM

I'd plan on putting another 2k into before you can ride it. May need a whole new motor. Seller says this broke, but he may be playing down the damage. Price out those in your area, or online plus shipping and add that to the cost. If you can sell the computer can find another Busa for 5k. Just my .02

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Yeah he could very well be doing just that, especially since the head is still on, but since I don't know jack about these motors, I want's sure about the kind of damage that could occur from jumped timing.

I found an 00 for $1200, which doesn't seem too bad, but again, really defeats the purpose of the trade.

DM

if your handy, and can score a cheep engine; you could put together a busa on the cheep.
:poke: you do have access to a amazing world of advise here on the ORG. :thumbsup:

once you start getting all the little parts together, the money adds up. and while you have it apart why not go big bore, rebuild it bigger better faster stronger maybe turbo or supercharger for $6k, and another $2800 in labor....:whistle: see where im goin here. it can be really easy to get some big money tied up in just a "simple rebuild".

Yeah Bro believe me... I know!!!

My Trans Am went from a 415ci with 600hp to a 450ci with 800hp, lol... Where does it end indeed, lol... But I'm not looking to mod the bike, it is plenty for me since it's be about 10 years last I had a bike.

I was in love with the XX Black Bird, but then the Busa came out and it was like an affair..... I felt like a dirty ***** cheating on the XX but I couldn't help it, lol...

DM

I would sell the computer and look for another bike, one of my friend is selling his 01 for 5K and is having no luck, you might find bikes lower in price, good luck

Yeah it's hard to sell a $4700 laptop when no one need anything like it, lol, and when all you really need is the $400 Dell ElcheapO, lol...

Hey does your boy like Alienware laptops :please:

DM

if your handy, and can score a cheep engine; you could put together a busa on the cheep.
:poke: you do have access to a amazing world of advise here on the ORG. :thumbsup:

Well I am assuming that it can't be any harder that digging into my 99 T/A with half the damn motor under the dash, lol...

DM

Dont do it!:poke:

Well that seems the conscious... :(

Man I was like a kid on Xmass morning... Oh well...

Well maybe there's a computer nerd lurking in here that wants the Top of the Line Alienware LT :please:

DM

Well thanks guys! I guess I will be passing on the bike :(

I'll stick around here none the less... seems like good people ;)

DM

Sounds like the only thing that bike is good for is PARTING OUT!:laugh:

Yeah seems like a lot of nice parts, a real shame. It's just crazy that it jumping timing like that for only 2 teeth screws them up so badly.

Let me ask... Is a motor swap difficult? I don't see why it would be, but again, I don't know the mechanics of the bike. I'm not talking anything crazy or Mod type, just a used motor install and go, or is there more to it? Do you have to use a 00 with a 00 ecu?

DM

Hey guys...

There is a guy here in JAX that has an 05 Busa with less than 5300 miles. He is parting it out because his Ex won't sign the title, lol... He is selling the motor for $1500 obo. basically parting out the bike. Sad because the bike it tits!

3k63p93l05V45Y55Z5b2o029ce9379913198f.jpg

3m43pd3lc5T35W55U4b2ob5af7ccbb57719fe.jpg

Again, would it be a PITA to swap motor? ???

Edit: Hmmm... Picy no worky?

DM

motor swap shouldn't be that tough. i've never done one on my Busa, but on other bikes i've done, it's pretty straight forward.

Back