New 'Busa owner soon... Hopefully

moloko

Banned
Well, a little introduction...

I'm a KS resident, been riding for 10 years or so, cruisers mostly. I'm looking into a sport bike and decided I love the looks of the Hayabusa, and it's reputation of performance.

I own 2 custom motorcycles, a soft tail and a hard tail. I'm hopefully selling the Hard Tail this week to fund my Hayabusa search. I have a few VERY interested parties anyway and I should hear from them this week.

I've been rabidly scanning the craigslist and I've done some searches on site here the past few days... before I make a purchase I thought I'd ask the pros here for opinions on price, offers etc since I'm sure you have a far better idea of what these things are worth than I do.

Found a:

'99, 22k miles, one owner, babied and touring accessorized: Windshield, heli bar risers, corbin beetle bags, otherwise bone stock. Guys some 60+ years old so I tend to believe the 'not abused' bit they're selling. asking $5500.

I may go look at it this weekend if things go well. Is there anything I should look for specifically, did these things have problems? nada value says almost 3k and kelly BB says just over 5k... is an 11 year old bike worth what he's asking? I've read (here) about people picking up new ones for 9-10k? and it seems I see ALOT of used ones for 7-15k asking price.

I'm trying to stay around 6k give or take and I've come across several for that price in my area ~4hr drive range that are a few years newer and anywhere from 1/2 to equal mileage, this one is really close by and I know those bags are pretty pricey and would be nice to have around I suppose.

So many bikes for sale!!! Hard to decide!

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?

Thanks for looking,
-Steven

Last edited:
Welcome to the .org! An acceptable price is whatever amount you are willing to pay for the bike in question. Adding mods to a bike is all about customization and doesn't/shouldn't add much to the value because the buyer may not want them. However, a good service history may help with the sale. Things to look for would include the tires, chain and rotors. Check out the electronics and ensure you get 2 seats, a rear cowl cover and a grab bar.

The '99 was the beginning and if its the copper color would make you the idol of many a Busa rider.

Let us know how it goes when you look at it and/or post up pics so we can provide more for you.

:welcome: and take your time....finding your new best freind should be taken slowly. together you grow...so look forward to the mods.

I'm also gonna be a busa owner in the near future. Been looking at the used bike on craigslist.com and have found some decent deals on used bikes. I've decided to wait until the 2011 comes out then make my purchase. I have seen 2002-2006 for 6,000 just to give you an idea of what they are going for in the surrounding Houston area. I've called a lot of dealerships also. Found a new 2009 for 10,500 + TTL ride out. Just saying...make sure its the one you want. Take your time.:thumbsup:

Lawrence.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I'm pretty excited. Hayabusa has been pretty much the only thing on my brain the past 2 or 3 weeks.

I know the feeling! In case you have not yet seen these clips, might help whet your appetitte a bit :)

- HAYABUSA TV AD AMERICAN[/url]

- HAYABUSA TV AD AUSTRALIAN[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Craigslist is where I found mine... Searched for awhile but found a great deal. 5,500 is decent, but you may be able to do better... Best of luck to you!

And :welcome: to the .org!

Well, I sold my custom chobber (chopper + bobber) today.

Found one that sounds REALLY nice in my budget. Gonna check it out this weekend. Wish me luck!

Well, I picked up my new to me 1999 'Busa today. Man is this thing perfect.
Not a scratch on it, it seriously looks and rides like it's brand new. Has been wired with 2 aux electric ports, a heated jacket plug, and heated grips. Got all the stock parts + Beetle Bags, zero grav touring windscreen and other bits that were purchased and never installed.

Stacks and stacks of service records, receipts, a complete service manual, dyno charts and I'm pretty sure every magazine from '99 that had an article about the 'Busa in it.

Has some fire stickers on the fairing I could do without. Have to figure out something that will get rid of the goo they are gonna leave when I peel 'em off.

Guy who sold it to me was INCREDIBLY nice, helpful and took the offer I made knowing it was all I could do and far less than the asking price.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!

wooo hooo, congrats! Post pics soon! P.S. Blow dryer & GOO GONE for the glue residue.

Back