New bike break in

New bike break in - How did you break in your new bike?

• Old ladies with walkers would lap me during my break in.

Votes: 122 100.0%
  • I broke my bike in soft.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I followed the manufacturers suggestions.

• I broke my bike in hard.

• I broke my bike in with a nice mixture of hard and soft rides.

• I red-lined back in time to relive purchasing my new bike!!

• Total voters
Devious is the closest to mine!
I followed MOTOMAN.com procedure(sorry no link)!
He says to run it up to 80 or so nice and hard and then decelerate hard.  Deceleate all the way to 5 miles an hour or so.  I took mine to Qualcomm  stadium and did this for 20 miles.  I have just rode it normally ever since!  The first 20 miles are the most important.  Motoman.com......a good read!

compression is what seats the rings, so higher rpms is good on a new motor it also ensures more oil pressure to keep everything lubed. It only takes about 20 min to break in a motor, and you can do that with out riding it at all. Just start it up and keep the rpm's above 3-5K so the cam and rockers get lots of oil, and there is plenty of compression to seat the rings. Now go ride however you want.

For the first 400 I rode it to Suzuki specs.. reving up and down the tach, with a few 7-8k blasts (passing).

Now that it's over 400, I'm basically riding it like I normally would. Not looking at the tach, just shifting when needed. Tomorrow he gets the 600 mile service.

Took it easy from dealership to home, did get up to approx 6K rpm's a couple of times on the way home(just couldn't help it). First 600 miles varied rpm's from start up to 9K now after warm up and then changed oil and filter at 158 miles(was planning on 100 miles, but couldn't stop riding). Had 3 new bikes, broke in same way and so far no problems
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I broke in my girlfriend Suzuki Intruder this way by accident.
tounge.gif
I drove it home from the dealer because she was to nervous to drive and wanted to take it out in a parking lot before she went on the streets. So of corse I had to see what it had. And for a 800 cc V_Twin it was not bad. She was really mad at me when she seen me goin 80 down the street as I passed her. I felt kinda bad then.. Now I don't.. Thanks:D

Race engines are broke in on a dyno wide open power pulls. So I rode the sheit out of myn!!!.Thats the way it should be always. No if-ands-or-buts

I got it from out of state, and 1st day I put 300 mi on it, anywhere from 4k~6k to 80~100 MPH...
guess I was doing normal breakin
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145659941 -->

Lol for me I rode my bike around for about 30 miles on streets kept it under 5000 RPM...but then decided to get on the interstate. And you know what.....the ramp that merges onto the interstate reminded me of a barrel of a gun and i was the bullet...I couldnt resist...I unleashed.......talk about a SMILE!!!!...oh yeah...I now know what the cowl is for....its to stop you from sliding off the back of the bike with the throttle pinned..cause i sure felt my butt hit it hard acceling....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Deaglemaster
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146011003 -->

laugh.gif

compression is what seats the rings, so higher rpms is good on a new motor it also ensures more oil pressure to keep everything lubed. It only takes about 20 min to break in a motor, and you can do that with out riding it at all. Just start it up and keep the rpm's above 3-5K so the cam and rockers get lots of oil, and there is plenty of compression to seat the rings. Now go ride however you want.
I read (Motoman I think) that this is not the same as actually running it to seat the rings. Something to do with compression and load on the pistons while actually accelerating/decelerating?

ddi all mods before it had any miles, and rode it like i stole it from the start...OK a little exageration, rode it like i plan to ride it everyday.

pulled out of the dealers parking lot, got around the corner, hit the throttle, smoked the tire (new tires are slick) and hit the rev limiter....
super.gif

Back