Break-in period

ibified

Registered
Okay, now I have this BEAUTIFUL new Hayabusa sitting in my garage with ZERO miles on it. I'm looking out the window with a cup of cofee, watching the snow fall, and getting pi$$ed off that I can't go ride, and probably wont get to (welcome to northern Indiana - don't like the weather? wait an hour...)until April or so.

Anyway, my question is this: I know that the owners manual says to keep the bike below 5000 RPM for the first 600 miles and below 8000 RPM for the first 1000 miles, but, has anyone in the history of the bike actually been able to do this? If so, I'd love to get some suggestions on how.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone has any additional break-in procedures they'd recommend, then please let me know.

beerchug.gif

i did a combnation of both, rode hard sometimes to load the rings and kept it below probly 8000 tull around 600 miles, variying the rpm and the speed.
most imp[ortant let it completly warm up before rideing
now where the pics and what color
post-52-02162-rulez8bn.gif

It's blue and silver. I'll post pics as soon as I get my frame sliders and undertail done - things are kinda taken apart right now.
beerchug.gif

Actually, now's the time to break it in just like they say...if you go over 5000 RPM now, you'll freeze...
tounge.gif

Mine stayed under 8K till I rolled on to my first onramp!! Still runs like a raped ape 19K miles later.

I followed the break in by the book.

He11 I still have not got it above 9500 rpm..less than 1400 miles on it.

I hit the rev limiter with 30 miles on it (I found neutral) and I have never had a problem. I just rode it normally from day one. I would say that I was easier on it then beause I was scared too death of it, but I still get scared sometimes.

I sortof took it easy for the first few hundred-- I'm under the impression that if a motor is going to "break" or fail-- it will be in this bk-in period IF you aren't super easy--- Which is why I think they want you to go easy-- they dont want even the weak parts failing. I say-- push it harder than they recommend. WHILE ITS UNDER WARRANTY-- If its gonna fail-- let it--if it dosen't-- you have a well put together machine that should run strong a long time.

Break in is not to find a weak part in the drive line. It is to help the parts seat. By riding the he11 out of it you may end up with a leaky bike later down the road.

IMO

Thanks for the input, all. I'd love to go take it out and ride right now, and I would freeze way before i hit 5k on the tach. however, until someone makes some snow tires for it, I think I'm out of luck.

I have broken in 4 new Busa's in my life.

Best way is warm it up, ride it home hard.( 50 miles or so.)

Drop oil and refill properly with Dino oil ( No synthetic yet)

Take it out again and ride it like you stole it till 600 miles.

Repeat oil change.

You now are done.
super.gif

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
to the Site. And yes you can go over the recommended rev limits, BUT basicly only for short burst (as in passing cars or just punching it). But I would only go a couple of 1000 above during this short burst period. The reason for the breakend is to let the moving parts ware in with each other (I just figure the guy who designed the engine knows alot more about it than me). You'll get a lot of other ideas, but that's all they are; IDEAS. Kinda like, you pays your money, you's takes your chances. If you do, "RIDE LIKE YOU STOLE IT", all the time. Well, if you break something surly your NOT planning on claiming, "GEEE SIR, I WAS JUST RIDING AT 2500 RPM AND IT WENT BOOM"
laugh.gif

Alternated easy & hard but always let it warm up well before riding and changed the oil at 600 miles. You need to do some hard accelerations to 'load' up the rings to get them to seat. You can feel when you start reving up to max torque, that is when I would shift or back off. After all was said and done, did my mod's and with a stock engine dyno'd at 178 HP. These bikes are strong!

Motoman method here...full twist to 8000+ in 3rd and/or 4th then let the bike slow itself down via engine breaking. Only periodically however.

(TIMMYDUCK @ Jan. 17 2007,16:40) I have broken in 4 new Busa's in my life.

Best way is warm it up, ride it home hard.( 50 miles or so.)

Drop oil and refill properly with Dino oil ( No synthetic yet)

Take it out again and ride it like you stole it till 600 miles.

Repeat oil change.

You now are done.  
super.gif
+1

It's important to change the oil early!  I changed mine at 90 miles and it had a ton of crap in it.   You'll be amazed at how much break in material develops in the first 50 miles.    
crazy.gif

After 1000 miles or so, go to fll synthetic.

It perplexes me how Suzuki is so stringent in the RPM limits during the first 1000 miles , yet don't recommend changing the oil until 600 miles.
rock.gif

Back