Break-in

steatki4

Registered
Just bought a brand new '09 white Busa.

I've had H-2's, KZ's, RD's, RZ's, XS's, RG's, etc. and I've always have just broken them in without following break in instructions. Granted, I've taken it easy not beating the snot out of these bikes, varying the rpm's, riding to warm up and then running through the gears and going above rpm recommendations for just short bursts.

In the 60's and 70's, the guys that always had the best running muscle cars were the ones that just went out and ran 'em the way they normally would.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

I have 47 miles on the bike and have taken it to redline twice just for a second and just running it the way i normally would not keeping the same rpm for any length of time.

I am interested in everyone's response as I now have 160 miles on my 09. I have been varying RPMs and not holding it longer then 10-15 minutes at one RPM. Also been keeping it under 5000 until 600 miles is reached then under 8000 until 1000 miles is reached. At 600 miles planning on dropping the oil and servicing the chain and checking all the fluids...
They say (whoever they is :laugh:) that city driving is better when breaking the bike in then highway due to the constant variation of RPMs.

Ride it like you stole it....then change the oil and filter.

Back