Break-in Dos and Don\'ts

OB_Arcticman

Registered
I am allways interested to hear the different theories on breaking in a new motor. I have gone by the "book" for the first 500 miles ie rpms below 5500 and no heavy loading in the taller gears. I want to let it run past 8000 now, but the book says stay below that number.
What does everyone think about breakin ??

The mech. at the dealership told me ,just don"t give it full throttle for the first 600 vary your speed alot . THEN HE LEFT MY SEAT BOLTS OUT!!!

The mechanic at my dealership along with the michanic I trust both told me to keep it under 5,000 rpm for the first 600 miles and to very the speeds as well as the rpm range. It worked for the last two bikes.
Ya got to love the Blue.

Just my 2 cents but do you know how we break-in dragbike motors? It's called a 8 second pass. Ask any racer out there if they build their motors up and go ride them 1000 miles before they let it rip, shi** ask them if they even let it run for 10 minutes first. When I picked up my new 97' RR I did a burnout in the parking lot to scuff up the tire and rode a three gear wheelie down Michigan Avenue. Had the bike two years, rode it over 9,000 miles and it was never back to the dealer since the day I bought it. My Hayabusa is basically the same way although don't have to many miles on it. I did get it up to about 170mph on the highway when I left the dealership!

Just my 2 cents!

I followed the book on my black/silver '99. Those first 1000 miles go by pretty fast. Blue-- you'll be amazed the kind of power that lurks in the higher RPMs of your new machine--6000 to 11,000 RPM. I'd say varying the speed and load is the single most important action to take. Get that bad oil and filter out at 600. Good luck-- Bob.
:cool:

IMHO... the "recommended" break-in for engines, tires etc... is to "break-in" the rider more so than the bike...

Could you imagine a rookie hoping on the busa for the first time and the dealer said.."LET HER RIP!!!" ..OH YEAH! Death.....

From all the info I have gathered from respected wrenches etc.. this bike is a state of the art 4-stroke. Ride it hard, maybe not to the max untill the breakin miles have been reached...but load it up on accelleration AND deceleration... Maybe stay under 9000 (like I do) for the first 1000 miles or so.. After you dump the oil, and it looks ok, then ride it like you stole it!

My grandpa bought a Ford Tempo brand new in 1988, he has NEVER had that car over 60kph.... I used it to go on the highway once.. I almost killed it!! It was hell...
Note to self: NEVER LET GRANDPA BREAK IN MY VEHICLE!!

[This message has been edited by BullDog (edited 02 April 2000).]

GSXRboy,
Your right on drag motors.My friend just rebuilt his motor.Last week we took it to the track to test.We added oil started the bike and timed it,gave it a small shot of nitrous(100 hp jets),brought it to the line,did the burnout,and left the line with a slider clutch.After that pass,the motor is now broken in.He is now in Georgia racing with a 300 hp nitrous shot looking for sevens.He is racing in the small slick tire class.

We always put drag motors together clean & dry,no oiling down cylinders, and by the time we got from garage to street figured they were broke in. Motors were a little looser and didn't build them to last 50,000+ miles, just a summer. Busa is to be my daily driver that I intend to keep and I'm breaking it in by the book. There is more opinions than there are people(some have more than one) but figure if you follow Suzuki recommendation they have a harder case to refuse warranty if ever needed. Just another of those opinions, like oil & filters being cheap insurance. Jack.

Rick, great post. A lesson for us all there.

The schools of thought on break-in range from doing it in a couple of hours on a dyno to doing it by the book.

Do it the first way and you'll have a strong motor that won't last. Do it the second way and you'll have a weaker motor that will last forever.

The choice is yours. There is a middle ground and that's where I go. Break it in firmly, revving it up higher than the factory wants you to but never using full throttle until the factory says you can is a nice compromise that's not likely to cause you problems.

In theory at least you'll have a strong motor that will last. Not the strongest and not the longest lasting, but a good compromise.

I had about 45 miles on my new Busa and was cruising at around 60 mph in 6th and I gradually cracked the throttle wide open up to 5000 rpm from around 3000 rpm and let off just to feel the rush a bit. Is this alright for the engine? This is my first bike ever...It's MENTAL!!!! I can't even comprehend bringing this thing up to redline with the throttle floored! I guess it would feel like being strapped to the outside of the space shuttle.

i also for the most part followed the manual..i figured they knew what they were talkin about...hell they built and designed the damn thing...ive heard that u should break it in as you will ride it IE if u ride hard break it in hard....but your right who the hell knows

Back