Break in problem

repsolz

Registered
got my brand new 06 busa bout 4 days ago,just got 200miles on her, but already took her to 7000rpms twice for a second maybe i didnt hold it long...and as a result i feel guilty of doin this but shes just too damn sweet to ride...im trying to stick to the correct break in process from today...

has my baby suffered any harm
sad.gif

Prolly not, but try to keep to the recommended breakin,TRY being the operative word.:laugh:

I got over the recomended rpm's a time or two and it never hurt mine. There are guys on here who break there bike in hard and still have no problems. Your bike will be okay.

break ins are tough...i had 300 miles on mine when a girl on a 92 ninja 600 blew past me. i said screw it and blew the break in out the door:laugh:

Had the following recommended to me on the subject of break-in. I'd be curious to know which method you utilze and how it turns out.
-----------------------------------------------------------

"...you'll get a different opinion from everybody on that. I followed a routine of heat-cycling and high-rev runs that falls more on the hard break-in side of things without being completely extreme (which is hard to do in populated areas or without a dyno).

what i did, right after getting home from the dealer (This involves some high-speed runs - it goes without saying that you should do the throttle runs on open road away from traffic and cops. You won't be topping out the bike by any means - but it's a Busa - you don't redline this thing without gaining some velocity - that's the point, innit?)

first off, get a new oil filter, new oil (not synthetic) and a oil filter wrench - you'll change out the oil + filter after this routine.

1/ Start the engine, put her in neutral, and vary the rpms between 1500 - 3000. Once the bike is at operating temp, shut down and let cool completely.

2/ Repeat # 1.

3/ Warm up the bike and go out to ride. Vary your engine speeds (DO NOT cruise the highway + lug along at a steady RPM for an extended period of time). When you get some open road, do a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle run, getting the RPMs up to 4500 - 6000, then back off the throttle letting the engine de-accelerate in about the same amount of time that it took to accelerate.

4/ Ride around normally a while, again - varying the rpms as you go.

5/ Do another throttle run, taking the bike up to 8000rpm, and again de-accellerating the engine as gradually as you took it up. Note that you can do these runs in 2nd or 3rd gear if you want so you don't achieve terminal velocity...

6/ Repeat #4 + #5.

7/ Repeat #4 + 5 again about 3 or 4 times, but start your accelleration runs at about 4000 and run the bike up to about 9500rpm.

8/ Repeat #4 + #5 again about 3 - 4 more times, starting acceleration at about 4000 and taking the bike completely to redline. Cool-close the throttle and let engine braking gradually slow the bike down. Ride the bike normally and let it cool down a bit between runs.

9/ Once you get home, dump + replace the engine oil (don't go synthetic yet) and change the filter. You're broken in.

This worked out well for me - I've got about 10K miles on my 05, and my mechanic says the engine is running just about as perfectly as he could expect. This routine sounds a bit intimidating - I wasn't sure about redlining the thing so soon, but it wasn't really that hard to do - just be safe about it. Good luck!"

Had 2 miles on mine turned the corner and snaped full throttle. I was gonna back off at 5000 but the rear tire broke lose at 4500. I was off before she made it to 6500. I am sure all will be fine.

I gota say I never broke mine in at 4,000rpm

just got it up to run,n temp & let all hell break out....

So i guess i never ran mine in.......

but thats just me.

not sayin for you to do the same....

anyway mine 04 & have had no probs with her at all..

ok i get under 2k outa my rear....
tounge.gif
but thats it.....
super.gif

thanx over easy, its difficult to choose as there are quite a few methods..including the "ride it like u stole it" method
tounge.gif

I pretty much stayed with the break in procedure up to about 500 miles...after that, all bets were off!!
tounge.gif

She's got about 4K on her now...runs like a champ!

I know it's hard to resist, but I can't imagine that your (out)bursts would do anything to that bullet of a motor.

Had 2 miles on mine turned the corner and snaped full throttle. I was gonna back off at 5000 but the rear tire broke lose at 4500. I was off before she made it to 6500. I am sure all will be fine.
2 miles!!! You're tires weren't scrubbed in at that point. New tires have a slick exterior rubber. It was recommended to me nose it against a wall and spin the tire.

Last week a guy on a new 06' LE was leaving the dealership and had spun the back out with a new tire and crashed it ($4500.00 worth of damage w/ .10 miles on it). Left it at the dealership to hide it from the wife!

bullet proof? ive read in bike mags that suzukis have 100,000mile engines after which they r pretty much done

ive heard theyre bulletproof as well.....whats the truth?

Back