'08 Break in

You don't have to wait to use syn. oil. there are veh. that come from the factory with syn. oil in them.

i waited till 2 miles to spank my 08 to 7k
firedevil.gif
and now at 215 my chain is way loose. spank it good
cool.gif

When you say "heat cycles" do you mean get it hot by running it, leave it to cool down then start again...?

Sorry to resurrect an older thread but after reading this I'll probably not follow the manual's recommendations exactly, but I also won't "ride it like I stole it" either. At only 200 miles on the bike now, it should be fine to hit 8kish, ensuring to vary the rpm's as often as possible. After my first oil change (which I plan on doing at 500 miles), I'll start to spank it.

i drove 250 miles by the book..no more than 4500 rpms...then i got next to a 1397 Gen Busa and um....i couldnt help it...we ripped into it froma 3rd gear punch...then a 6th gear one later on...bikes runs amazing...no problems...at 502 miles now and have been punhcing it in different gears up to 8-9 and 10K rpms...

i really dont think it matters

I guess few are thinking about the asperities on the seemingly smooth transmission gears , cam lobes , cam gears and the likes that finally become run-in from the parts mating process . Suzuki is though but I'll not argue a point .
ThumbsUp.gif

BTW , the rings don't fully seat for a good while on the 1st Gens and the 2008 is said to use a Dykes style top ring thats not going to seat any quicker , if even as soon as the 1st Gens, IMO . That one should be a lighter tension ring for the 2008 .

When you know the metalurgy of the engine components and send an oil sample in at 250 total miles and no chromium from the upper ring faces shows up , nor from the cam buckets for that matter along with lack of elemental nickel from the Nikasil bore then , while knowing that the second ring face thats made of cast iron will show elemental Fe " iron " like the transmission gears , cam chain ,ect, yet you have the actual piston out of that engine in hand and the white oxide paint on the second ring face is not worn away yet , we get the idea the the following amounts of Fe " Iron " came from parts in the engine other than the ring set .

Wear metals in parts per million @ 250 miles from new .

Iron 14
Chromium 0
Lead 3
Copper 5
Aluminum 10
Nickel 0
Silver 0

Click to see a 250 mile OEM Busa piston and look at the white oxide on the second ring

I have 3k miles on my '08; broke it in (pretty much) by the book.

It runs and performs perfectly. I easily ride 600 miles in any given weekend, so it didn't take long to get to the first service/inspection point.

My experience.

lurk.gif

IF I was selling you a bike like the busa, do you think for one minute I am going to tell you to go out there and "Ride it like you stole it"  

Not to offend any of the above posters but that is just about the dumbest a$$ thing I have ever read...

Hey dopey, jump on this 200Mph bike and go kill yourself.... (much better wording IMO)  

Can you even imagine the lawsuits that would fly now days if a bike maker told you to go out and hammer your new bike and you stack it up?  yea right....

Let the thing warm up a bit before you ride it, ride it normally and do oil changes at 600 and 1500 miles.. (make sure you replace the oil filter) As you get comfy with the bike, ride it harder..  But please keep in shiny side up...
Not all buyers are first time riders and have the ability and skill to ride it hard straight away. I'll likely be riding a friend's new 08' Hayabusa from the dealer to break it in for him since he doesn't have experience on the Busa.

Some good advice here, I plan on getting an 08 Busa in the next 2 months. I'm going to break it in hard. I've always broken in by the book in the past, but that link posted previously is pretty convincing. I want it to create the most power possible, and be as reliable as possible. Gonna beat it like a red-headed stepchild for the first 100 miles then change the oil, then beat it some more.

Back