New bike break in

New bike break in - How did you break in your new bike?

• Old ladies with walkers would lap me during my break in.

Votes: 122 100.0%
  • I broke my bike in soft.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I followed the manufacturers suggestions.

• I broke my bike in hard.

• I broke my bike in with a nice mixture of hard and soft rides.

• I red-lined back in time to relive purchasing my new bike!!

• Total voters

BiG-T

Donating Member
Registered
I did a search for "break in" but didn't turn up anything so I was wondering how everyone broke in (or plan to break in) their brand new scoot. (this is branched from moeluv's post so thanks moeluv for provoking the thought)

Prior to joining the .org, (when I owned a Gixxer 750) I've heard various opinions about breaking in my bike. Being a new owner of a Busa I'm curious how everyone here handled their new toy. A Busa owner in my neighborhood suggested a mixture of hard and soft riding. While I'm out riding he suggested I take her through her paces (almost red-lining) for a bit and then ease up for a while to let her "cool down".

Of course riding "hard" and riding "soft" are relative terms so if you decide to reply please be as descriptive as possible.

Example:
"I didn't go beyond 80 mph and didn't rev beyond 5k rpms before my 600 mile service."

stayed somewhat in guidlines but did several 9k rpm hits here and there. you'll get dif opinions on this some go by Suzuki, and some Ride it like you are gonna Ride it (Like you stole It)
wink.gif
I kinda mixed it up a little.
wink.gif

wink.gif

My bike had 2060 miles on it when i bought it--She was a showroom queen-- so it had a few to many little scratches to sell as NEW. So they [the dealer] Put a one tooth smaller sprocket on the front--k&n filter-- and prolly took to the drag strip---appears to have gone through one and a half rear tires-- now 22000k and runs like a dream.

went above 5k a couple of times in a blast. but never above 7 k first 600 miles
riding it a little harder now don't think i will ever red line it.

The day I picked mine up from the dealership........ new.............. set it outside let heat up to running temperature........ kept it under 3000rpm for about 2 mile...

got out on to what you lads call the interstate........ we call it motorway........ and ran it hard for about 10 miles......... after that, I just drove the bike as normal... gave it an oil and filter change at 100 miles........... and again at 600 miles.. from then on, just normal service.. as indicated in manual........

Never had any issues with the bike........

This technique was recommended to me from a guy, who has worked on engines over 20 years.......

Now I know everybody has their own opinion and there own method of doing it. But this was mine...........
smile.gif

I smoked a corvette in the first 50 miles of my new Busa. It was not intentional, but I got to about 10500 in first and second gear when we drag raced. Just once... My mechanic will forgive me. He understands.
wink.gif

He started it...

Just don't run it at a steady rpm very long, with some runs up to 7,000 (as in passing cars) and you'll be OK. The big thing is to keep the RPMs going up and down and not just sitting at 4000 mile after mile
cool.gif

Just don't run it at a steady rpm very long, with some runs up to 7,000 (as in passing cars) and you'll be OK. The big thing is to keep the RPMs going up and down and not just sitting at 4000 mile after mile
cool.gif
Check... That sounds like the best way to do it. That is exactly what the mechanic at the Suzuki shop told me.

Mostly kept it under 5000 rpm's for the first 200-300 miles. Then gradually increased it to 8000 rpm's until 600 miles. After the first service, I have been running it all over the place. Though, I didn't keep it at redline too much (kinda run out of road quick...
tounge.gif
)

until 600miles under 5500rpm sometimes the ego got the better of me went 65oo-7000, just pased 600 mile service check last weekend. they said everything looked perfict. time to have fun:D

I've owned three bikes from brand new, and all three were broke in the same way. I ride it like I stole it... I just set a mental redline - about 80% or manufacturers redline for the first 600 miles, after that it's about 90% to the 1000 mile mark, and always varying rpms.

they told me to vary rpm's and keep it under 4k so thats what i'm doing.

Brake em hard, just like they were meant to be ridden, I had a Porche mechcanic tell me the brake in for, at that time a new 97, last of the aircooled, 911 Carrera's was to just match the speedo with the tach, straight up and gettin it... i got pulled over twice for doing better then 120 and let go, sold it  a year later, not for any reason other than never fit to well in the seat in the first place, 6'3" and 235, the Busa fits perfect..

I have stayed below 6K since I got it last week. Now sitting at 731 miles, I am going to get the service done Friday at the bikini cash wash the dealership I bought it is having. I figure I have to wait for it to get done anyways..

But I kept it under 6K and have only had it up to 105 mph so far, scary for me to think that it has gone that fast and only used the lower half of the tach.

I bought mine in San Antonio. About 140 miles from home. And it's all Interstate (I37). So on the way home I stayed in 6th gear and would coast down to about 40mph in 6th and then twist it up to about 140mph. All afternoon I did this with out stopping. My wife thought i was crazy because I would go flying past her and then she would pass me as I slowed down and then I would blast by again...
The trick was to keep the engine loaded all the time...Either accelerate or decelerate, nonstop for 140 miles...Keeps the rings under pressure and helps to get 100% seated rings...
I think it worked because all the Busa's I have come across, even with the same or near the same mods, I have smoked em all without exception...
The new method in my above mentioned post is a great way to break em in...

David

Back