Need some input

I'm in a funk.
Rode the Busa the other day and just wasn't feeling it. Turned around and headed home. On the way back I blasted a few of my favorite corners and it just wasn't the same. It just felt awkward. I've had her for 11500 miles and 3 years. I think I've gotten to know her pretty well. If it doesn't feel right, don't push luck.

This is my second season in the dirt after not riding for 25+ years. I was getting comfortable and starting to push. Wrecked last week, but nothing damaged on bike, or body. My son and I hit a buddies private MX track Sunday with a few guys/kids. Had a great time, until the Locust tree...

My buddy let me race his 07 CR250R(2stroke) and he rode my 07 CRF250X(4stroke). He raced pro and rides very, very well. He had passed me going over the table top(doing tricks)a few times on our own bikes and was lining up to do it again. The only way I could save face and not be humiliated by being passed on my own bike was to wreck  
rock.gif
And wreck I did. I hit the whoop section, and about half way through them, I hit the 2 stroke powerband in full force. It rocked me back, the front tire skyward and naturally the right wrist locked to the WOT position. I held onto the bike and went down fairly hard and slid into a locust tree. No damage... to the bike. Me, well, let's just say I'm not getting any younger. We kept riding though and completed the day with sunburn, about a dozen rocky mountain "waters" on board and some contusions/abrasions. I'm sure the "waters" helped with my poor judgement on the track too. They sure did taste good with dirt though...

At any rate. I took the Busa out today for a quick trip to bank. It felt good, but still not "right". I think my confidence has been shaken by going down in the dirt twice in recent rides. I will NOT mix "waters' with the pavement but just don't know how to get my confidence back. The last ride I took before switching rims/tires I pretty much scrubbed the michelin man off the PP edges, And it felt good. Guess I'll just have to take it easy for a while. Things happen for a reason and I'll gladly take a "wake up call" in the dirt over one on the pavement any day.

Anybody else ever have this happen? Am I starting to ride while subconsciously thinking "how much will this hurt" and it's clouding my judgement? 

Okay, that's enough
sad.gif
. Time for a dancing banana.  
banana.gif
I think its hard when you're used to stepping things up and pushing the envelope to step it back down. Kinda like going from more power to less...just doesn't feel the same. I've always been more of a conservative rider and don't push the envelope on the dirt or street, except in a straight line and on high speed sweepers, and never had a bad wreck. I just enjoy the act of riding tho, and the simple pleasures of it. Some guys are so addicted to the rush of extreme riding that when they can't safely do that they quit riding all together. I don't think you're getting too old, you're just realizing you can't push it forever without the inevitable accidents. If you aren't comfy or can't have fun backing down the pace it might be time for some new hobbies
winkold.gif

The only things I won't own anymore are those nasty hurtful dirt bikes.......
guns.gif

I still love borrowing one from time to time though......
firedevil.gif

Save your bones for when your 80 and are still wanting to ride your Busa trike ......
thumb_up.gif

We all feel that way from time to time, your not getting old, just smarter. Well older and smarter.
bowdown.gif
thumb_up.gif

you aren't getting too old, you have just wised up enough to not push it so hard when you aren't feeling the groove...when we are young, we don't think we can be hurt so we ride wide open all the time and thankfully we heal quickly...as we get older, we tend to become more in tune with what we are feeling as it seems to hurt more and take longer to get back to normal when we go down...pay attention to what you are feeling and ride accordingly, you will hit the road soon and without realizing it, you will be right back where you were...it just takes time to build your confidence back up and get your zen right...ride on, brother
beerchug.gif

Thanks guys. I know it's just a "funk". I haven't had that "oh S***" feeling in a long time, and I don't miss it. I have myself trained on the Busa to have the confidence block it, or not put myself in situation that warrants it.
Luckily the CR wipe out was so fast that I didn't have time to think about it. I will continue to ride on both street and dirt.(until at least Don's age  
laugh.gif
) The guys I ride with in the dirt are all younger and have raced professionally, spending time on the podium. I have no intentions of keeping up with them and have no problem when they pass me. I actually think it's pretty cool knowing that their skill level is so advanced. I just have to worry about my line. I know they are there and they will pass me going over jumps waving/smiling/etc.. It's all good. I'll kick their azzes in the pits, off the bikes.  
boxing.gif

My son is riding extremely well and will be moving up to a larger bike soon. HE will make these guys look silly in a few short years, and I'll get my revenge through him!  
cool.gif

Riding with guys from here has never been a problem. It's not a race, it's a ride. If me or someone else is behind, we'll see ya at the next stop sign/intersection/etc.. It's all good. Everyone smiles riding, and everyone goes home safe.
thumb_up.gif

It's a dangerous hobby. I just need to ride the "funk" out.  
race.gif

sounds to me like someone needs a break....
beerchug.gif

I wouldnt sweat it too much man-the fact that you went down, AND YOU'RE STILL HERE, says that you have skills; or else you'd be alot worse off from more serious injuries. a good buddy wrekd ridin dirt 3years back, after having riddin since age 6 (30's now like me) he got his foot stuck in a rut thru a turn n broke his knee-it happens to the best of us, we just have to try n roll with the punches...
I rolled over 100' when I slammed that curb on the Busa, 2 mos. after I bought tha darn thing
guns.gif

shook me up somthin fierce, but after 2 weeks I was out in the parking lot trying to roll around on my brokeback Busa with broke-off windscreen in a neck brace-took almost another 2 mos. before I was able to return to work and even longer before I could 'tuck' on the Busa right; but it was worth the wait-dunno what I woulda done if I sold the bike just cuz it gave me the willies...shoot, it does that every time I twist my wrist more than 3/4
firedevil.gif

take a timeout, wait for a nice warm sunday morning, then pull tha Beast out n hit some interstate-you'll be back at home all over again
beerchug.gif

good luck n be safe out there bruddah.

beerchug.gif

Back