Need some input...

werdkat

Registered
Okay so I recieved the insurance check for my damages on my 05 busa. I have a few options. Damages are left/right fairing and dents in the tank, scratched hump. Also for note, my brother is a body man so I can get work at cost and lunch ;)

Option 1:
I can replace the plastics and tank and have no money left over.

Option 2:
I can buy non-painted fairings off ebay 150 each, take the rest of the fairings off and tank, take to brother. He and I sand and primer and spray my choice of color.

Option 3:
I buy all new non painted plastics for 640, take off the tank and get them all painted my choice in color.

I am leaning toward option 2 and 3, that way I can get the muzzy 4-2-1 setup and pc3 from johnnycheese. So I guess what I am asking, what option would you guys go for? I am not wild on the color scheme anyway for 05 and it would be nice to stand out a bit.

If I go that route, I will need to decide what color...throw some color options out also!

i had the same question not long ago.. and i chose to have my buddy fix the damaged peices and he removed a dent from my tank. he then changed the scheme for me and now i really like how the bike turned out.

i didnt claim it to insurance cause i new how cheap i could get it done. so no ins claim.

have him fix it and pocket the money.
biggrin.gif

If you have the cash, I would go with option 2, keep the rashed fairings as emergency spares and paint the bike blue and silver ('01 scheme - maybe I'm a little biased
biggrin.gif
)

Option 2 is an easy choice if you have someone to do the work. I'd go for some variation on the '02 black color scheme personally.

I would say just buy some used maybe scratched up pieces on ebay pretty cheap 40-50 bucks or so, as long as they are not cracked or creased they are fine because you are gonna paint anyway. Scratch marks can be filled in. Cheaper may take a little longer to get all the pieces but will also save more money.

John

I like the 02 LE black too. It's just a tough color to keep clean. But when it is, AWESOME. There is one F/S on another board that looks very nice.

Depends on how the bike got messed up in the first place.

If you dropped it, live with the tank and look for some decent replacement lowers.(it may even be cheaper to choose an older upper and 2 lowers than to just get used 05 lowers.)

If it was a crash, its a toss up. Custom paint will be hard to next to impossible to match up if a spill happens again.

Your cash, your call.

Option 2 IMHO. You should wind up with a higher quality paint job, you'll get your pipe and PC, and you can sell your rashed plastic on E-bay as " painter pieces " and recoup some money.

It really depends on how well you want your bike to look. If it were me, I,d put OEM painted parts back on, because no matter who paints it, unless you get someone that does show quality, and that will cost more than the factory parts, it will not be as slick as factory, and after all, it is an 05. So I,d make it look like new again, no matter the cost.

Back