How much paint do I need?

Matte_Black

Registered
I have a quick question folks hope someone can help. I have the 09 Busa and I need to paint just the tank (or area the decal on tank covers) and the grey portion on the left and right fairing (long story removed decals) how much paint will I need? I located the color code on the color rite website. Painting the bike white.

Thanks in advance.

2009_suzuki_hayabusa_gsx_1300_white-normal.jpg

IMG_00000082.jpg

Edit: Sorry just read your post again. If you are painting the tank and grey portion of the fairings I would get a quart. But that is me. Are you sure you can match it exactly? If not, I would paint the entire left and right side so you dont have any color differences. Again, that is just me and I have never gotten paint to match exactly.

Most paints you have to reduce with a solvent ot water...so what you buy is called package weight vs spray weight...tell the shop what you are trying to paint and get some extra for an error buffer. I'd say a pint paint = a qt spray for a tank but to do touch ups and running into problems the qt order may be a more logical choice. Sand and prep is key...the painting step is only as good as what is underneath

That's funny, I just painted my track plastics with Color Rite's rattle cans and used two full cans of OEM blue. I wanted one more can for extra, but got the job done with two. Don't know how that would equate to buying just paint instead of the spray cans. That white is more complex than the blue I used....I see from your picture that you have a two step process to get the white color. (Base and top coat)

like twotonevert said, I would paint the entire left and right side so you dont have any color differences....:thumbsup:

i paint cars for a living. i also have the same bike, that is a 3 stage color. you need the base coat white, the midcoat pearl, then the clear. that is why it says you need base coat 1310 and topcoat 4310. as said before you arent going to have an exact match, especially with a 3 stage because each coat of pearl you put on the color darkens. if you are not that familiar with painting doing a 3 stage is a little tricky. you will have to blend out the fairings to get the color to match. if you need any help pm me i will try to help you the best i can over the internet.

I agree, to be sure on color match, paint all the panels as gmartin says. Panel to panel is almost impossible on any metallic, and colorite paints cost more than gold. I would go to your local automotive paint supply store and buy a good brand basecoat clearcoat system for 1/2 the price, and it will allow you to re-finish the complete bike. I was in the industry for 20 years, any questions and I will also be glad to try to answer them for you, best of luck.

Thank you Gentlemen, your help is much appreciated.

One more thing I forgot, the amount of paint that I said you would need will be a bit much, but better more than not during your painting. You will have some for future needs, or if you decide to go ahead and paint the rest of her,

Take care

Fernando

I would think that colorite has a superior match...if you have a paint code they will give you a closer match...throught the year there are many variance color codes...or formulas that drift from the standard color formula through the year..paint manufactures monitor it. You get what you pay for...in the 10 minutes you take to spray the color make it worth it.

Back