Need Help Deciding on Purchase

Well it is a done deal! Tonight it was finalized, and I bring it home in the morning. Went for the 06 gsxr750

8by6+actual+bike.jpg

sweet ride she'll love it. I bought my wife a 06 gixxer 600 last june and has about 4500miles on it to bad i put them away for winter.

gib

To me it depends on how often she's going to ride! Becasue as soon as she rides something bigger than the 600 she's going to be unhappy! I would send her through the class! Watch ride the bikes in the class and make my decision after that!

(BusaWhipped @ Jan. 09 2007,05:30) If you are set on getting her a sport bike, go with the 600.  It's lighter so she'll be able to learn slow speed manuvers and move it around the garage more easily.  I know you didn't ask, but if you can get the same kind of deal on an SV650, without fairings, you should go that direction.  Cheaper insurance.  No plastics to break in a garage tip-over.  And it has decent power for the street.
600 vs. 750 seat height is the same, as well as the wheel base. The 750 weighs THREE (3) pounds more
wink.gif

sweet bike...here's to the two of you enjoying many miles riding together
beerchug.gif

Ok... couple questions (I realize you already bought the bike!) First Congratulations on your latest purchase and a shout out to all who gave the good advice offered above....
You said this bike was for your girl but it sounds like you'll be covering the payments and insurance! Will the bike be in your name, hers or both? I ask because you could be setting yourself up for a law suit in the unlikely event she's involved in any major accident. This includes her own relatives.. Nothing a little pre planning won't take care of but food for thought none the less... Personally I would have bought something smaller and used for a first time street motorcycle! Dirt bikes are nice but they ain't a street machine. Trees don't move and black top bites much harder than  a grassy noll. She could have rode for the summer and then bought anything her new riding experience would allow her to operate! Which would then be based on her newly aquired street riding skills. Point being when I got my first car sure I wanted a Corvette but Dad wasn't going to let that happen. Now, thankfully so... I'm sure I would have gotten myself hurt or killed. Do I think shes up to the task, absolutely! There are a lot of Great women drivers/stunters riding motorcycles today! Don't want to over emphesize the importance of CC's; Fact is you can be killed on "Any" motorcycle oblivious of the cc's...

Thank you to everyone for their excellent input. I really needed the members help here, and as expected I got useful well thought out advice.

Yes, I initially purchased the bike, however she will be paying for half of the bike when taxes come back, and pay off the other half next year. I called my insurance company, and we are both on the insurance policy, I'm considered the primary rider but I did tell the Insurance company the bike will be rode 50/50 me & her which is true. Both of us also carry a 1 million dollar accidental death insurance policy, and her name is also going on the title of the bike along with my name.

ks, your words are very thoughtful and I couldn't agree more with what you have stated. Everything is going to be taken in small steps with her riding this bike, and she is well aware of this. I'm starting to feel like Mr. Safety here, talking about all the things that we have to do together as a team so we can have many years of safe riding together.

Self control is a major factor here, and as already expressed a person can kill themselves on any motorcycle. We both know the risks, and both have concluded the benefits of riding together are well worth the risks. We have made this decision as a couple, and with the idea of getting the kids into motorcycle racing in the future it is a risk the whole family has to face and risk with this given activity. To us motorcycles have played a major role in this relationship, it is more then just a hobby for us, it is a lifestyle.

I don't want to make my response to lengthy, however Safety is paramount to us. We want to grow old together and share many life experiences together. Some couples focus on work, other on having a fancy house, yet we have decided as a family to have motorcycles the main activity for this family. We truly believe it is very positive for the kids, us as individuals, and our relationship. Will we ever be the Hayden family, maybe or maybe not but we are willing to put in the money, time, and love to bring this family up in a positive nature which revolves around motorcycle activities.

Thank you again everyone, Much respect to all of you.

John

Back