Need Help Deciding on Purchase

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, the clock is counting down and need some quick input here. Im getting a swinging deal on either the 06 GSXR 750, or 600 from my buddies shop.

2 Decisions I need to make TODAY! I'm purchasing this bike for the girlfriend, it is her first real bike and she will have it for some length of time. I can't decide if we should go for the 600 or 750. Both are great bikes, very light, HP and Torque in the higher rpm's so even though both are great bikes, I figure for a beginner as long as the rpm's are kept below 10K all will be cool.

I know the 750 has more mid range torque, but I figure even with the 600 things could get real "F'ed" very qucik and maybe I should just pop for the 750 being that it is only setting me back another $800.00 over the 600.

She is 5'5", 145 lbs, strong, but we need to work on her self confidence...strike that...she has self confidence, but we might have to dye her hair as she acts so BLONDE....she sometimes trips over her feet while walking from the parking lot to the store door...lol....sigh.

Ok, so do I surprise her with the 750 or the 600 this week? I'm being sorta evil here as I told her we were going to get the Red 600, but my buddy called me the next day and said he made an error and it was sold...so she is bumming...but in reality I'm going to pick the bike up today or Wednesday. I have pictures of the Yellow 750 which I love and she likes, the Red 600 which was her first choice for the 600's and a Black one which she can't decide if she likes better then the Red one....she thinks she might get sick of the Red and go with the Black to be future color safe, but the Red really "Pop's" to her.....

So how about some help....750, or 600....and what color you all like the best? And I offered to sell my Busa and never ride again if she doesn't ride, but she won't have any of that...been her dream to ride for years...so it's happening if I like it or not....so lets get some input here...and sorry for the really long post.

2006_4_GSX-R750_Yel-Blk.jpg

black1.jpg

red1.jpg

wink.gif

Let her pick the color too! She will feel better if she likes the color.

runeight...

If you are set on getting her a sport bike, go with the 600. It's lighter so she'll be able to learn slow speed manuvers and move it around the garage more easily. I know you didn't ask, but if you can get the same kind of deal on an SV650, without fairings, you should go that direction. Cheaper insurance. No plastics to break in a garage tip-over. And it has decent power for the street.

You are only going as fast as you twist the throttle.

Get the 750 pull the stickers off she wont know the difference.

Then when she gets comfortable you wont have to worry about an upgrade. Just throw the stickers back on
all_coholic.gif

(BusaWhipped @ Jan. 09 2007,07:30) If you are set on getting her a sport bike, go with the 600. It's lighter so she'll be able to learn slow speed manuvers and move it around the garage more easily. I know you didn't ask, but if you can get the same kind of deal on an SV650, without fairings, you should go that direction. Cheaper insurance. No plastics to break in a garage tip-over. And it has decent power for the street.
Well I got my Insurance quote for 12 months, fll coverage on the 600 is $185.00 per year and for the 750 its $198.00...100/300/100 full coverage with $500 Deduct...so Insurance is cheap (Benefits of being over 30 I guess...aint complaining)

The gsxr 750 weighs only 4 lbs more then the 600, and both weigh less then the SV. We looked at the SV's but she stuck on the gsxr's.

You didn’t ask for this, but I’m going to throw it out here anyhow. In my opinion both of the bikes you are looking at are not suitable for a beginner.

1) Has she had any formal training? ie: MSF Basic Rider Course
2) Are you prepared to take the hit on the damage to a new bike when it is dropped? It is very common for a beginner to drop a bike. Price a new upper, lower, and a tail panel for a GSXR. A simple parking drop will usually get all three at a minimum.
3) The 600 and 750s are bad fast and can quickly get a new rider in trouble.

I strongly suggest the MSF class, before she rides her own bike. I further suggest a used bike as a first bike. If you can find one that already has cosmetic damage and is priced accordingly, you may be better off. Another small drop will not hurt the value. If you bought right, when you get ready to sell, you will recover most of your money. It won’t happen with a new bike. I train riders and get to see a lot of first rider mishaps in my travels outside of training.

The SV650 BusaWhipped is a much better choice for a beginner and can be considered a longer term bike as well. A Katana 600 or GS500 is even better for a beginner but some quickly outgrow it. The SV650 actually looks pretty good when the lower fairings are added. Leave them off the first few months though. A Honda Interceptor is comparable to the SV650.

If she is as excited as it sounds, I hope the ideal of a used bike vs a shinny new bike would not be discouraging. I just see too many horror stories about first bikes, both first hand and in print. Not all turn out that way, but a very large percentage does.

My advise (and it may be worth what you are paying for it). Find the right used starter bike and promise to let her pick a new on after she has a few months/miles under her belt. Once she is riding it she should be able to tell when she is ready to upgrade and will know more about what she wants.

Whatever you do, make the investment in gear. Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Jacket, and pants. Please don’t skip any of the gear.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I’ve really enjoyed watching my wife develop her riding skills. I’m very proud of her. She actually gets to ride more than I do now.

Professor, man I appreciate your input.

Ok, well we looked for a long time at used bikes, and on a lot of the bikes we were looking at her arms were completely locked out with no bend = very bad. So it seems like anything older then 2003 for the gsxr's cbr, etc just didn't fit her arms correctly...where the newer bikes do.

Ok, yes we first started to lookat used bikes, but seems like anything being 3 years old or less with about 15 to 20k miles on them bring about $5500 and up. The New 06 gsxr costing me 7k out the door, and don't have to worry about getting new tires, chain, etc on a used bike. Plus the 1 year warrant is nice, so cash wise it seems like the new bike is the best deal.

MSF class is a must, and she can not ride the bike until she completes the beginner course, that is the deal we made. Secondly she grew up riding dirt bikes so she has some experience. She wants a Busa, but realizes she needs a smaller first bike. As for gear, she is pretty much set with all the gear as she has been my passenger for the last 3 years, so she is covered fromhead to toe...Sidi, Alpinestars, HJC, etc....We believe in protective Gear.

The input is great folks, keep it coming...Please.

+1 on Professor.......
That GSXR is wicked fast for a beginner in my opinion.
I got my wife an 04 Gsxr 600 but she wanted a Busa
wink.gif
. She did take the rider course and has a few years of ridin Harleys and dirtbikes. I think a smaller bike would be easier for someone to learn on.

Wifes Gixxer:

DSC00615.JPG

Your insurance is CHEAP dude! WOW!

I pay $458 per year for just the PL/PD and a higher medical.

Is that quote with collision?

runeight...

get the 750 and be done with it..

(runeight @ Jan. 09 2007,08:30) Your insurance is CHEAP dude! WOW!

I pay $458 per year for just the PL/PD and a higher medical.

Is that quote with collision?

runeight...

get the 750 and be done with it..
Yah, that is full coverage for the year. My Busa costs me about $280.00 a year full coverage.

Doesnt the 750 have better resale? If your intention is to upgrade to a busa later I would check resale on both bikes. Plus it is harder to out grow the 750.

i think BusaWhipped, Professor, and guido4512 have already covered what comes to my mind first sssoooo...if you are going to get either the 600 or 750, i say the 750...she isn't going to hurt herself any more on it then she will on the 600...that way, it won't be as far of a jump up to the 'Busa when you upgrade

Well Hell, if everyone thinks a gsxr600 is too much bike for her, I want to see some major Falming
firedevil.gif
when the next Newb comes in and asks about the Busa as a first Bike...lol.

I think it all comes down to self control and some patience. Who cares id she dumps the thing in the parking lot...part of the learning experience for some people. I mean look at a few of the members here talking smack one day with their very first bike (Being a Busa) and within 24 hours you hear the sob story about how they dumped it in their driveway, or can't navigate a fricking corner to save their life. And a month later they giving out expert advice....lmao

Hell, on second thought Maybe I should call the shop when they open and see if they have a damn Busa in stock....Less wheelie prone, nice for cruising, and I have a ton of stock parts left over after mods. Decisions....decisions....just want to make her happy and if she goes out in a flame of fire it was her decision....can't stop someone from living out their dream. All I can do is be here to help make things safe, and be supportive.

Like Professor, I have concerns about beginners on powerful bikes. That being said, if the SV is out, I'd go with the 600. It's plenty powerful for her size and would fit well. Take the extra $$ and put a nice exhaust on it after a month or two once you're sure she's got a good feel for the bike and isn't as likely to tip it over. Glad to hear your feelings about the MSF course. I think it should be a requirement.

(ABP @ Jan. 09 2007,08:52) Doesnt the 750 have better resale? If your intention is to upgrade to a busa later I would check resale on both bikes. Plus it is harder to out grow the 750.
Ya know something, Im really shocked at how good both the 600 and 750 hold their value....both are excellent for resale.

(warbrown @ Jan. 09 2007,09:18) Like Professor, I have concerns about beginners on powerful bikes. That being said, if the SV is out, I'd go with the 600. It's plenty powerful for her size and would fit well. Take the extra $$ and put a nice exhaust on it after a month or two once you're sure she's got a good feel for the bike and isn't as likely to tip it over. Glad to hear your feelings about the MSF course. I think it should be a requirement.
warbrown....man I took the course a few times....awesome for anyone. Heck, I think the course is so good I put up some of their videos on my front page....can always learn something from that course.

If anyone wants to check out a few MSF videos hit up my website , and just scroll down a tad to find em.

Click to see a few MSF videos on my site

Unless she's planning on stepping up to a bigger cc bike some time in the future, I'd say 600. For her size/wt more than enough power/torque.

(Zuki @ Jan. 09 2007,10:24)
(warbrown @ Jan. 09 2007,09:18) Like Professor, I have concerns about beginners on powerful bikes.  That being said, if the SV is out, I'd go with the 600.  It's plenty powerful for her size and would fit well.  Take the extra $$ and put a nice exhaust on it after a month or two once you're sure she's got a good feel for the bike and isn't as likely to tip it over.  Glad to hear your feelings about the MSF course.  I think it should be a requirement.
warbrown....man I took the course a few times....awesome for anyone. Heck, I think the course is so good I put up some of their videos on my front page....can always learn something from that course.

If anyone wants to check out a few MSF videos hit up my website , and just scroll down a tad to find em.

Click to see a few MSF videos on my site
That's a cool site.
cool.gif

But hey - wait a second - it says she already got the red 600!
rock.gif

Guido.....She thought she was getting it, until I told her the dealer pulled the plug on the deal.....Just trying to give her a little payback for all the hell she has put me through over the last year...Bahaaaa in my most evil laugh....plus I thought it be a nice surprise...giggle
all_coholic.gif

Personaly i love the new 750, i wish i had the disposable income to buy 1 for a track bike.

Back