Need advice on new Busa purchase!

Harley2Busa206

Registered
Hey guys.

So I am looking at getting into a Busa, and I have a few options. I need some advice. I am looking at a 2006 Busa limited edition with 9000 miles on it, custom touches throughout but nothing crazy (extended swing arm, shorty exhausts, custom grips etc), and he told me I can get it for $6500 bucks. It is NOT fuel injected. It is all black (new factory fairings), and has custom chrome wheels, brand new tires, and a ton of carbon fiber parts. As far as the look, I do like it.

I can also wait for a 2019, I have a Harley worth about 15k trade in value, but then I am going to end up owing money on it, versus come out about 10k on top.

I can also go for a Gen 2 (2008+?) for probably a few thousand bucks more if that, just don’t know if it is worth it.

I know I am going to get an array of answers, I am looking for comfort, reliability, FUN, best value, and to note - this is my first Busa, so have nothing to compare it to.

I will include a picture of the 06’ for reference.

Thanks a lot!!

838A9D55-8E70-4CC4-8D70-A7DB80FED132.jpeg

4737BD00-4F3B-4E8D-B0AC-0162EBF9592E.jpeg

9497CDB1-AD4D-4245-8932-15130A405D31.jpeg

Welcome! Good year! Here’s a stock 06 LE for reference. Whaddyamean it’s not fuel injected? Yes 08s and newer are Gen2s with some improvements in 09 and 13 I believe. There is a sight performance difference stock. Looks are everyone’s own preference. Some prefer the look of the Gen1s (and) they can be made to perform on or above the level of (any) motorcycle. For any used bike, the black one pictured for example, I’d want to know why the new fairings? Crashed? Why the extended arm, drag bike? Mileage, maintenance history, number of owners? Good luck in the hunt and take your time looking, it’ll pay off, no foolin.
DCBF66B4-D103-4CDE-A496-391B5DB40BC4.jpeg

Thank you very much for the reply.

So the guy told me that he just plain and simple got tired of the orginal color scheme (black and white I think) so ordered brand new all black stock fairings, and I mean the bike has a clean title so I have no reason to think otherwise? He told me the extended arm was to make it more comfortable on his 65 mile highway commute every day, but I thought of that too... but he did specify it is only extended a small amount, and does not alter or effect handling or control at all. I wouldn’t know, but I of course do intend to ride it.

The bike definitely is NOT fuel Injected, it is carborated and has a choke and etc.... is that not right or....?

It is a 1 owner bike, the gentlemen has owned it since 2006, and has a stack of maintenance records, most recently last summer (full tune up and oil change and etc).

The mileage is 9000.

Hope this helps. Any updated thoughts?

Thanks again

All Hayabusas are fuel injected. If stock the lever on the left bar is simply a throttle, not a choke. Its used to warm up the motor with a higher idle. Don’t know how the ECU could deal with carburetors. The 06 LE is white and silver as shown not black and white. I have a black half bra on in the pic. Your black one looks like a 4-8” stretch which will definitely alter its handling in the corners. More comfy? The mono shock is pretty much under the seat. Look where the rear tire is on the stock 06 and look at the black one.
E3F2B82A-070D-4D2C-BEFA-D5A97F395129.jpeg

Ordering all new plastics, especially OEMs is a very expensive prospect and seldom done, just because. It all depends on what you (mostly) want the bike to be. They can be anything you want from a straight line boulevard cruiser to a full on touring rig. Nothing is more stable at speed. My 06 has nearly 66,000 miles so 9,000 is pretty low for a 12 year old.

All Hayabusas are fuel injected. If stock the lever on the left bar is simply a throttle, not a choke. Its used to warm up the motor with a higher idle. Don’t know how the ECU could deal with carburetors. The 06 LE is white and silver as shown not black and white. I have a black half bra on in the pic. Your black one looks like a 4-8” stretch which will definitely alter its handling in the corners. More comfy? The mono shock is pretty much under the seat. Look where the rear tire is on the stock 06 and look at the black one. View attachment 1587279

Ordering all new plastics, especially OEMs is a very expensive prospect and seldom done, just because. It all depends on what you (mostly) want the bike to be. They can be anything you want from a straight line boulevard cruiser to a full on touring rig. Nothing is more stable at speed. My 06 has nearly 66,000 miles so 9,000 is pretty low for a 12 year old.

Got it, so I am confused, are you saying that the extended arm (4”, yes), would make the bike MORE comfy, or less comfy? And yes, white and silver sounds right like what he said, I just thought maybe it was black and white.

So what do you think, assuming the three options above? Would you buy the ‘06?

Y'know, one thing I've noticed about buying bikes privately vs through a Dealer, is the amount of BS and disinformation the vendor spins.
Not always, but often enough.
Be careful is all I'm saying, the bike is clearly NOT carburetted, I've NEVER seen a Busa with carbs, ever.
And what else is he telling pork pies about? The reason for the fairing replacement? The replacement swing arm?
Honestly, you are better off to buy a near stock bike and build it yourself . . . . . at least that way you know exactly what you've got, and you get the satisfaction of your own finishing touches to be proud of too! Win win.

Got it, so I am confused, are you saying that the extended arm (4”, yes), would make the bike MORE comfy, or less comfy? And yes, white and silver sounds right like what he said, I just thought maybe it was black and white.

So what do you think, assuming the three options above? Would you buy the ‘06?

Well, based on what I see I wouldn’t buy (that) 06. Not sure if an extended arm would be more comfy, maybe, a stretch limo is more cushy that a Chevy.

Go to a dealers with demo Busa on showroom floor , book a ride and get an idea of what your $ can buy . Don't have to be a brand new bike from them , but ideally you would be after lowish mileage , 1 owner and in great condition . Either Gen okay , but the Gen 2 is a bit heavier , a fair bit more torque and even more chunk of hp . Comes complete with what is generally considered better updated suspension , and is more modern .

My advice, don't buy it.

Before I replied, I checked cycletrader.com for Busa's in your area. Click Link no longer works for the results.

From the results, the Busa your thinking of buying isn't the "best bang for buck" in your area. There are some awesome deals, check them out. Make some calls, go see some in person, then decide.

Like this one !

Busa - 2 $7000.jpg

It's 140 miles from Seattle, a 2014 with 27K miles for $7000.

or this one !

Busa - 1 $4400.jpg

It's 26 miles from Seattle, a 2006 (miles not listed) for $4400. Has tons of aftermarket parts. So many in fact, I'm wondering if price is a typo or if a scam.

In my option, the Gen II's (08-18) are better than the Gen I's (99-07).

Factual differences:
- Gen II's have better front suspension
- Gen II's have better electronics (better stator, fuel delivery system, power modes, gear indicator)
- Gen II's have better brakes (13 or newer have Brembo, some ABS too)
- Gen II's have bigger 1340 cc engines

The body work was also updated on the Gen II's. Clear front turn signals, bigger front air dams, rear turn signals integrated into the tail section.

I bought a used 2002 Busa. My budget was $4500, so I could only afford a Gen I (99-07) Busa.

My bike

Hayabusa - 5.JPG

If I had your budget I would get the "newest used" bike you like most ! (no payments)

My last bit of advice, if you aren't completely comfortable (year, price, miles, modifications, etc ) with any bike, don't buy it.

*i knew i would love riding a hayabusa, so getting a gen I (cheap) then upgrading to gen II is the plan

Last edited:
My advice, don't buy it.

Before I replied, I checked cycletrader.com for Busa's in your area. Click Link no longer works for the results.

From the results, the Busa your thinking of buying isn't the "best bang for buck" in your area. There are some awesome deals, check them out. Make some calls, go see some in person, then decide.

Like this one !

View attachment 1587283

It's 140 miles from Seattle, a 2014 with 27K miles for $7000.

or this one !

View attachment 1587284

It's 26 miles from Seattle, a 2006 (miles not listed) for $4400. Has tons of aftermarket parts. So many in fact, I'm wondering if price is a typo or if a scam.

In my option, the Gen II's (08-18) are better than the Gen I's (99-07).

Factual differences:
- Gen II's have better front suspension
- Gen II's have better electronics (better stator, fuel delivery system, power modes, gear indicator)
- Gen II's have better brakes (13 or newer have Brembo, some ABS too)
- Gen II's have bigger 1340 cc engines

The body work was also updated on the Gen II's. Clear front turn signals, bigger front air dams, rear turn signals integrated into the tail section.

I bought a used 2002 Busa. My budget was $4500, so I could only afford a Gen I (99-07) Busa.

My bike

View attachment 1587285

If I had your budget I would get the "newest used" bike you like most ! (no payments)

My last bit of advice, if you aren't completely comfortable (year, price, miles, modifications, etc ) with any bike, don't buy it.

*i knew i would love riding a hayabusa, so getting a gen I (cheap) then upgrading to gen II is the plan
Excellent advice and nice bike you have there @ only $4500 !

You have already gotten some solid advice and I agree with everything said by others so far. 2006 seller story doesn’t add up on the fairings part. Have never heard of a gen1 owner that spent $3k plus dollars on a full set of OEM fairings and that is not a factory paint on the picture either. I personally wouldn’t touch a gen1 for $6k, if I can buy gen2s for a thousand more for reasons stated by others already. Now, if I found a screaming deal on a clean gen1 in the $4k range and owner seemed like and honest person, that would be different. I also never heard of a stretched busa being more comfortable. No offense to you, but you need to read up some on hayabusas, so you can make an informed/better decision. Like they say, knowledge is power. I’m glad you came on here to ask questions and to pick everyone’s brain. Good luck on your search. :thumbsup:

One other point . The Busa is a big and heavy bike Lighter than a Harley to be sure but totally different riding position . And fast like nothing you have experienced before I have Found it definitely takes getting use to Especially at low speeds . A longer swing arm will decidedly change how it handles . Especially in corners . And not in my opinion for the better
If you think you can get 15 for your HD then I would strongly suggest getting a new one if at all possible It will have all the latest upgrades like ABS and Brembos . It will be yours to change once you decide it needs changing Up here in the great white north Suzuki is offering free 5 year warranty and a gas card on 17's and 18's . You may want to see if you can haggle an extended factory warranty FWIW
As far as modifying a stock bike I have always found those Japanese engineers are pretty clever. If you choose to change something there are better parts to be had . However not everything that is fashionable is the right part for you . The owner of the used 06 may like that bike the way he has it now . But it my be totally wrong for what you want to do
I had the one on the left. By the time i was finished with it the only things that had not been modified improved or replaced was the transmission and the bodywork . But everything was done to suit me and my riding style . You should do the same if you possibly can
aypOrmvUSqGtUz1+oFRlvQ_thumb_4b.jpg

If you want a Gen 2 with the Brembo/ABS brakes, any of them 2012 and newer have them standard. Save your thousands and find one used for half the price of a new one.

My advice is for you to take some time and learn more about these bikes before you buy one. For instance the fact that you don't know they're all factory fuel injected, or what an extended arm does concerns me. Get a little research under your belt before you commit to anything. Good news is that you're in the right place to do exactly that.
An extended arm doesn't have any appreciable effect on comfort. It makes the bike less wheelie prone and more stable. As such it's used for bikes that are raced in a straight line, or purely for looks. As stated, all busas came with FI from the factory, only time I've ever seen that changed to carbs is in heavily modified drag bikes.
You'll find us a helpful bunch, look around a bit and ask away...

Wow thanks for all the reply’s guys, I am shocked at the turnout!

Ok well here we go.

Entirely thanks to @bussassin417 , I looked on cycle trader and found that red and white 2018 ‘Busa quite close to where I live, brand ‘new’, full warranty still, and they are asking $12,990. Now yes, I can still negotiate, but fact of the matter is that if I can get out on top seeing as I own my HD outright, I will have 0 payment regardless.

I like that bike as well, color way and all. It has all the latest safety features, uprgaded brakes/engine and etc.

So, NEW question - Do I trade in the HD and go for this one (and is the $12,990 a good price for an ‘18?)

OR

Do I wait another week or two (what the dealer told me wait time was like) for the BRAND new 2019’s, that are potentially going to be a lot different, but cost way more money.... and take on a small payment?

Thoughts??

Thanks again guys!!

Ok well here we go.

Entirely thanks to @bussassin417 , I looked on cycle trader and found that red and white 2018 ‘Busa quite close to where I live, brand ‘new’, full warranty still, and they are asking $12,990. Now yes, I can still negotiate, but fact of the matter is that if I can get out on top seeing as I own my HD outright, I will have 0 payment regardless.

I like that bike as well, color way and all. It has all the latest safety features, uprgaded brakes/engine and etc.

So, NEW question - Do I trade in the HD and go for this one (and is the $12,990 a good price for an ‘18?)

OR

Do I wait another week or two (what the dealer told me wait time was like) for the BRAND new 2019’s, that are potentially going to be a lot different, but cost way more money.... and take on a small payment?

Thoughts??

Thanks again guys!!

Is that '18 actually new at a dealer or a used one? The '19 wont be any different other than two new colors.

Ok well here we go.

OR

Thoughts??

Thanks again guys!!
What kind of Harley do you currently own? Just wondering, I just sold mine as well.

Back