Nabbed by a FL Trooper...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Earlier today, Saturday, January 17 (freezing my ass off, even in FL as of late, coming home to get to work on time on wide open section of road, not a vehicle or intersection in sight...figured I would make some quick time (freezing cold w/ the wind and the sun starting to go down) and opened her up for maybe 1/4-1/2 mile.

Well, I just start to slow down as I'm coming over a rise in the road (being safe not knowing what is on the other side) and, "Holy S**t!" A FL Trooper coming the other way. I pulled over immediately (sorry, don't want to be looking at a felony evade), I was very courteous praying for some compassion. He wrote me the ticket for 152 in a 55 and said I had to appear before the county judge on anything over 30 mph. Oh boy, was I just a hair over that!

With new, stringent FL laws against motorcyclists specifically, I wasn't sure if I was going to get arrested, bike impounded or what. He said it's common to get about a $500 fine. Of course I know of a guy who got busted doing a wheelie from a stop light and got handed a $1,150 fine! FTR, I don't wheelie or any of that crap...I'm a two wheel rider.

I know some of you see 152 (as written?) and flip out. Honestly, I don't believe I was even going close to that fast and that he likely didn't even have the radar gun ON just cruising north that time of day (he mentioned he was driving with it in his lap?). My firm belief is that he completely guesstimated, which leaves my speed up to a matter of opinion and debate for a good traffic lawyer.

From my understanding, based on hearsay at this point, is that all of a Trooper's actions including speed on the gun is recorded. If he can't provide the speed on record (which I should have asked to see...doh!) then it's an argument to be had.

I had a gentleman tonight tell me that a judge in that county (a very popular motorcycle county, btw) would tell defendants caught travelling at high rates of speed (100+) to shutp up, sit down and "not to plead guilty and get a lawyer" otherwise he would be "forced to impose THE LAW!" Kinda' giving them an out to a more reasonable fine upon their return with a lawyer.

In my own defense, for what it's worth, it's not like I was hauling the mail down an everyday, populated road. And it's not as if I don't understand some of the backlash I may receive. It was a very calculated, quick acceleration of speed with no cars in sight, no intersections in sight and with nothing but trees on either side. The biggest threat would have been to a deer that crossed the road at that particular time.

Some of you may say keep running, but possible felony evade is not what I possibily (even remotely) want to be facing. He was turning around before I even reached him.

I'm sure there are those here that have never been over 100 and that's good because some people freak out approaching that speed. If I was ever given a chance on the Salt Lake flats (right place for it), heck I'd be curious as to how fast I would go. I have jumped out of planes and repelled off cliffs, but don't tag me as the guy doing a wheelie down the freeway in traffic.

I've been riding 25 years and have yet to go down..blah, blah, I know. But, it's because I am very calculated when I ride, look at any potential problems way ahead of my ride and have my head on a swivel. Those who have really ridden with me know I am not a fool on a bike. It just happened to be the wrong time for a quick burst of throttle in a stretch that was harmful to no one but the pavement and my tires. Otherwise I never would have been "at speed."

Thanks for "any" input. Good or bad.

Last edited:
that sucks i did the same thing clocked by CHP at 104+ pulled right over when i was going over 170 right before i came around THE CORNER :whistle:. its to easy to speed on a busa. i was coming back from the store today a 25 zone some ass in a honda riding me i ripped my k8 looked down and was doing 90 in 2nd :shocked:

Last edited:
The burden of proof is on the police. He'll have to demonstrate precisely how he measured your speed. Purely an estimate based on???or radar, and if radar, what proof does he have? Its my understanding that the hand held guns require the holder to be still. Dash units work while in motion. And BTW, its hard to believe that he actually wrote a ticket for three times the speed limit w/o arresting you and impounding your bike.

90 ina 25! That;s worse than 150 in a 55. 25 is reserved for Country Club roads and neighborhoods.

90 ina 25! That;s worse than 150 in a 55. 25 is reserved for Country Club roads and neighborhoods.

i know its the road i live on and cars normally go 35-50MPH and ride my ass and he was kissing mine today and i was not having that so my right wrist went all the way to me :whistle:

You were almost 100 MPH OVER the limit and he was 65 over the limit...how was his speed WORSE ???

OOPS, wrong place wrong time. Sorry to hear this ! Hope you get all this worked out

OOPS, wrong place wrong time. Sorry to hear this ! Hope you get all this worked out

i know that me at over 100+ on my K8
IMG_0432.jpg

that sucks i did the same thing clocked by CHP at 104+ pulled right over when i was going over 170 right before i came around THE CORNER :whistle:. its to easy to speed on a busa. i was coming back from the store today a 25 zone some ass in a honda riding me i ripped my k8 looked down and was doing 90 in 2nd :shocked:

My BOOTS are getting Very Thick Right Now 170 I don't think SO. I was There :moon:

Come on John :whistle:

Remember I Passed you First...........:laugh: That Means I was going Faster than you !!!!!!! I was Smart Enough to SLOW DOWN at the Corner (That's when You Passed) :moon:

You were almost 100 MPH OVER the limit and he was 65 over the limit...how was his speed WORSE ???

Because of the "type of road." I wasn't on a neighborhood road I was on a road where there was no one, house, intersection, vehicles or person ins sight. I know you can't SEE the road. But it wasn't 55 on a populated roadway. It was on a lonesome country road, just horrible timing with what was coming the other way.

Last edited:
Because of the type of road. I wasn't on a neihborhood road I was on a road where there was no one, house, intersection, vehicles or person ins sight.

i have 1 road that i test on and its a 55 i have done many runs and see zero cars and i have hit 150+mph GPS its a good 1mile long no cars

i have 1 road that i test on and its a 55 i have done many runs and see zero cars and i have hit 150+mph GPS its a good 1mile long no cars

Not to judge, but that's my point. I've seen 35 mph country roads as long as the eye will see without a car or stop light in sight.

However, 25 MPH signs are typically reserved for private or school type roads.

Last edited:
Back