my trip to the gap

jch364

Registered
Wow what a trip it was indeed. left last sunday and just got back today. i have some pics and a story to tell. It was good and not so good all wrapped up into one...lol Here are some random pics from different locations that I am sure most of you are familiar with. These first ones are from crot and overlook.

0807011848.jpg

0809011504.jpg

0809011504a.jpg

I only saw maybe a half dozen or so sport bikes at any one time while i was there. Kinda odd I thought. at first. explanation comes later.... here are some pics from the skyway

0809011632a.jpg

0809011623.jpg

0809011632b.jpg

0807011848.jpg

I had no idea that I would wear out the front tire so much. It had plenty of tread when I left Ohio but I wore it out. I went down 28 all the way to bridal and dusty falls. here are pics of the falls and what was left of the front tire. And it was only Wednesday.

0808011802.jpg

0808011802a.jpg

0810011326.jpg

0810011329.jpg

0810011822.jpg

When I got back from the run on 28 I discovered an oil leak! I was lucky the engine didn't blow. It must have started when I was pulling up to the hotel. So off to Wheelers in the morning. It was an oil leak from one of the oil cooler lines. plus i got a new tire. All was well after that.

0809010953.jpg

Like I said it was good and bad both. The weather was good overall although it did rain a little monday which was fine cause i needed a nap anyway. The bad part was that my room at the Phillips had fleas. Yep. Fleas. Yes they did take care of it but still. Plus I had a kodak zi 6 camera that I bought just for the purpose of putting it on the bike and recording video. I even bought a mount and put it on my right frame slider. It was perfect. Perfect until it quit working not long after I started shooting video. My guess is that the vibration is what killed it. I should have known better. So sadly there is very little video of my trip.
Now on to the odd part about no sport bikes at the dragon. Monday was horrible. It was really hot and there were about a 100 or more Harley's there.............No more than 5 sport bikes including mine. I didnt like harley riders before. and with all due respect to those who ride them, I hate them now. The reason is simple. They clog up the dragon because when they leave to go up the dragon they leave in packs of not less than 5 and up to 15 at a time and they ride so freakn slow that a guy on a bicycle could pass them. and yes I did see a guy on a bicycle pass them... no joke... Now before the flaming starts let me make it clear that I dont think that the dragon is my personal race track, nor do I think that only sport bikes should be ridden nor do I believe that harleys should be banned from the dragon. I know this is a public road and all are free to travel it. My only beef is that when they leave in packs like that it makes it impossible to pass them safely and they never give you an inch of space to go around. I dont care if they ride the dragon at 20mph or less. Thats fine, just go a cple at a time and space it out so that it makes it easier to get around. Thats all.......
Now, I asked Mr. Wheeler about the absence of sport bikes from the dragon and he believed it was in large part due to the law enforcement measures on the dragon. Every day I was there, there were there as well running radar and today when I was leaving they had an unmarked up there. I thought that was a little cheezy but thats me. I like that fact that they are up there though. I noticed that they usually came up around 10 to 12 or so and that was about it. Didnt seem heavy handed but then again me and the bicyclist were the fasted things on 2 wheels most of the week:laugh:....

Other wise it was a great trip except for the heat. It was god awful hot......

That all folks:beerchug:

Since i have a rosso corsa rear tire waiting to put on i decided to put the same on the front when i was at Wheelers. I must say that it grips very well.

I did see a blue and silver busa at the gap. The rider was 2 up and I was following them through the gap. If you are maybe a member i wanted to say hello but you had loaded it up on the trailer and was leaving before i got a chance to say hello.

I only saw one wreck while i was there. A harley rider failed to negotiate a turn a ways north of the dragon. Shocking i know... Medic passed me up on the way. He looked like he was bleeding from his head. Guess that condom helmet didnt work that well. ...anyway in all seriousness i hope he is ok. didnt look to bad but i dont think he well be riding home since it looked like the bike went straight into the side of the mountain.

when a buddy and I went to the dragon we were 2 up on HD Ultra's, never having been on the road wasn't going to go balls to the wall, and the gearing is all wrong, high revs in 2nd or low in third. We were not going 20mph, but sport riders would catch and pass us. I don't mind, if you do it safely, but if you pass me on the left, in a right hand turn and then cut in front of me, making me brake hard in a very sharp corner, i will not be happy. Some passed on the inside of a left turn, ok, but a lot passed on the outside and cut in front, not cool. :rulez:

I agree warp10. There are plenty of azzhats on sport bikes out there as well. its a give and take thing. If everyone would leave the ego at home and i mean everyone, it would be a lot easier for all of us

I did see a blue and silver busa at the gap. The rider was 2 up and I was following them through the gap. If you are maybe a member i wanted to say hello but you had loaded it up on the trailer and was leaving before i got a chance to say hello.

Probably Tim, he's always up there cheating :laugh:

It is so nice to read that members have or are having a great time. What the bike has done for me would fill a book.

Thank you for the pics.

Back