My rider instructor went down

Good lesson for that young man, never drag your knee through a corner unless you can see through it.

Thats not road rash on his arm unless his leathers wore through? It's leather burn, caused from wearing loose leathers allowing the leather to move around enough to take the skin off. Seen that stuff on many occasions.

In case of a crash, you want your leathers to fit as tight as possible and still be somewhat comfy. However, most of us end up with the baggy pants look.

Good lesson for that young man, never drag your knee through a corner unless you can see through it.

Thats not road rash on his arm unless his leathers wore through? It's leather burn, caused from wearing loose leathers allowing the leather to move around enough to take the skin off. Seen that stuff on many occasions.

In case of a crash, you want your leathers to fit as tight as possible and still be somewhat comfy. However, most of us end up with the baggy pants look.
a bit off topic but I want to know more about how to tell if the leathers are too loose... dang, I never knew about this..

:beerchug::beerchug: glad he is ok sorry he lost his bike. Tight turns have very limited visibility,, that one there looks pretty tight, hard to get angry at the cager there. Lives to ride another day:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:beerchug::beerchug: glad he is ok sorry he lost his bike. Tight turns have very limited visibility,, that one there looks pretty tight, hard to get angry at the cager there. Lives to ride another day:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I agree. I'm glad he came out okay :thumbsup: , but knee down on blind corners with turn-outs, probably going at a pretty good clip is not the thing to be doing. I think alot of folks can learn from this :;): I have the same kind of corners in my area....I always slow down for them......you can't blame a cager if he looks, its clear, he starts to turn then BAM!! a bike comes around the corner 3 times the limit. Thats why there's speed limits :;): I've had fast vehicles come out of nowhere on me too..not always alot you, or they, can do. I'm not a big believer of knee down/track style riding on public roads anyway though.....especially when it can endanger others :eek:

Not to be a d__K, yes the van shouldn't have turned in front of him, but are public roads really the place to be putting your knee down? Both were at fault.

+1 Glad he is OK but save the kneedragging for the track. If you are already at the limit of cornering and grip, where do you go in an emergency?

Right or wrong doesn't much matter at this point, we've all done things we know we shouldn't have, just glad he came through as well as he did and hopefully we all learned from it. Without gear it would have been much much worse. Even loose fitting gear is better than no gear. Also a very good thing he was able to get away from the bike and miss the van, we all know what sudden stops can do.

I'd like to know, how fast he was when he went down?
It's again a good example, you should be always wearing your gear.

In a German busa-forum some riders have had a discussion about that topic - I couldn't understand it.

Ok, each one has too decide for himself.

Last edited:
I wonder how he got rashed there with the gear on? Glad he is obviously OK.
See, boys and girls.... AGATT:thumbsup:

Good Question, The Plastic gear is in that part of the arm too, Unless the streched inner part of the sleeve rolled on his arm and got road rash that way.
Loomis

Last edited:
a bit off topic but I want to know more about how to tell if the leathers are too loose... dang, I never knew about this..

I learned about this recently myself when I bought my gear. It felt like the Gear was way to small and tight when I got it. But the local guys I bought my SPIDI R-Course Leather Jacket and pants (zip together) from BuyMoto.com - America's #1 Source for Motorcycle Parts and Accessories here in San Diego are track dudes and they set me straight. It almost feels like you are wearing a condom or something.

Really hard to get these things one - super hard to get them off once you have been riding all day and sweaty.

But I feel safer once I take the time to get the gear on. Check out this video which explains the protection and armour inside the jacket. Also did you know that one of the best leathers for gear is Kangaroo leather?

- SPIDI R-Course Leather Jacket from Sportbiketrackgear Part 2[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that he's relatively OK. Hope the cager had insurance and that X-man will get his Aprilia replaced.

I agree. I'm glad he came out okay :thumbsup: , but knee down on blind corners with turn-outs, probably going at a pretty good clip is not the thing to be doing. I think alot of folks can learn from this :;): I have the same kind of corners in my area....I always slow down for them......you can't blame a cager if he looks, its clear, he starts to turn then BAM!! a bike comes around the corner 3 times the limit. Thats why there's speed limits :;): I've had fast vehicles come out of nowhere on me too..not always alot you, or they, can do. I'm not a big believer of knee down/track style riding on public roads anyway though.....especially when it can endanger others :eek:

The day I bought my Busa a seasoned sport bike rider told me "always remember that you can ride a lot faster than most car drivers can see." I think that is one of the best nuggets of advice I have ever received and think of it many times when I am tempted to hit the throttle in busy areas or areas with limited sight distance.

Back