My Other Bike Is A ........

I have spent a great deal of time debating the BMW , and sat on all versions . My two issues with BMW is the Service / computer required to clear service messages . The other is the GTL , GT , R1200 saddle bags are not nearly as large inside as the appear on the outside . Everything that fits in my V35 bags will not fit in the current BMW bag . BMW 32 liters with some odd internal shapes that make fitting certain items a issue .
V35 is of course 35 L with a good internal shape allowing most items to fit . The seat is very nice , and leg reach to ground is great even for my five foot 1 body . Cruise control will spoil you , and did you opt for navigation ? If you didnt you should call to add it as BMW nav is the best from what I have read .

I have spent a great deal of time debating the BMW , and sat on all versions . My two issues with BMW is the Service / computer required to clear service messages . The other is the GTL , GT , R1200 saddle bags are not nearly as large inside as the appear on the outside . Everything that fits in my V35 bags will not fit in the current BMW bag . BMW 32 liters with some odd internal shapes that make fitting certain items a issue .
V35 is of course 35 L with a good internal shape allowing most items to fit . The seat is very nice , and leg reach to ground is great even for my five foot 1 body . Cruise control will spoil you , and did you opt for navigation ? If you didnt you should call to add it as BMW nav is the best from what I have read .

There is an arrogance to BMW (both Cars and bikes) C10. They believe that a qualified mechanic should maintain the product so that's a part of the deal - they are not DIY friendly. They are proven tourers though, with millions of successful miles of evolution in every model. They also move the line between form and function. I bet that BMW would say that anything you can't pack in their bags you don't really need (I'm serious). Ever ride with a BMW guy? They have a little BMW do dad for everything, it's like a cult. I'm not sure I'm keeping the Busa to have a good old fashion wild ride once in awhile or to get relief from the pompous B.S. When the salesman shook my hand he said "Welcome to the club!" I sort of threw up in my mouth a little. Anybody got odds on how soon I'm spitting four letter words at these guys? Wish me luck.....

Yeah BMW definitely a clique similar to that of HD. They believe their bikes are the best.....

I don’t think you’ll fall into that mentality but I’m sure you’ve encountered the “Dentist” in full BMW embroidered adventure touring gear head 2 toe parked @ Starbucks :p

Ducati guys too. my buddy is Ducati crazy. I finally had to ask if he has the Ducati crest tattooed on his cheek. the track day at VIR was a Ducati day. Must admit they were cool though. They were fasinated with a Busa with Ohlins and Brembos. I told them it was an "S" model, lol!

Yeah BMW definitely a clique similar to that of HD. They believe their bikes are the best.....

I don’t think you’ll fall into that mentality but I’m sure you’ve encountered the “Dentist” in full BMW embroidered adventure touring gear head 2 toe parked @ Starbucks :p

Who me? of course not! Buhaaaaahaaaahaaa!

20171230_151244[13227].jpg

Well,

Still without a BMW! When I put money down on a 2018 Black K1600 GT in December, I had been erroneously looking at the UK BMW site. In Europe, you can get the option for a black engine but all GT's in the States (except the sport) have silver engines. I don't know why, but this is a different bike to me with a silver engine. So I went back to the dealer and asked them to add the option for the black engine - only to find out it was not an option in the US. I thought about it overnight and decided I wasn't going to spend this kind of money and not get something I loved. So I terminated the deal.

The color choices for the US are a red/black with silver engine; a Black/black with silver engine; and a Blue/Black with a black engine. I always liked the Blue/black or sport edition but had originally elected to go conservative with the Black/black. The sport version is aesthetically closer to the road tools BMW is known for, sort of the 7 series of sport touring bikes. So I started looking for this bike and found one of the only 2 in the eastern half of the United States! Amazingly, there were only 8 2018 GT in the country as the US market if for the GTL, and BMW just doesn't ship many here.

So put a down payment on it. I added Navigation, engine protection, pannier protection, and heated gear plug. As soon as they get the protection parts they will build it. Should be around 2 weeks. When I bought the Busa it was love at first sight. Funny but when I ordered the Black K1600 I was not even excited about it. But I am excited about the sport version. I just think it's more in line with my personality. We'll see if this one happens, at least it is a bike in this country and i know where it is!

2017-BMW-K1600GT-beauty-black.jpg

2017-BMW-K1600GT-First-Look-Preview-10.jpg

2018-BMW-K-1600-B-Bagger-4.jpg

I didn't know they had four models in the US, the GTL, the GTL Exclusive, (their direct competition for the Gold Wing) the GT and the B model. Looks like the B model is all black. What are the differences between the GT and the B other than pipes and bag design? The B would give you the black motor and black paint. BTW, it would be just like BMW to offer a heated gear plug (only) for BMW brand heated gear.:laugh:

I didn't know they had four models in the US, the GTL, the GTL Exclusive, (their direct competition for the Gold Wing) the GT and the B model. Looks like the B model is all black. What are the differences between the GT and the B other than pipes and bag design? The B would give you the black motor and black paint. BTW, it would be just like BMW to offer a heated gear plug (only) for BMW brand heated gear.:laugh:

The Bagger has the same front end as the GT but the rear frame is lowered quite a bit. Also, the bags on the B model are permanently attached as the tail lights are on the bag. The B also has the forward foot platforms so you can ride HD style feet first. It is really a different bike in many ways.

The GT and GTL also have different rider positioning, with the GT being the most aggressive. I think I would still consider myself a sporty touring rider, so I felt the GT was my bike. I did get highway pegs added though. There is another K1600 variant, the Grand America that is basically a Bagger with a top case. There is even talk of a K1600 "hyperbike" version with a half fairing, lots more horsepower, and a trellis frame.

BMW does something Suzuki should do more of. They take a good powerplant and produce several market specific versions. Like everyone, BMW is trying to figure out how to break America's love affair with HD. They have 3 big touring variants of the K series all designed for US roads. The GT is more or less the worldly version of the K series bikes. Good luck BMW on moving into HD territory, Americans aren't looking for sophistication or performance in their HD's - they're looking for a culture.

Suzuki could do all kinds of things with the Busa engine, similar to what they did with the B-king. BMW keeps fresh products on the market without high development costs by figuring out how to re-task great engines.

Like everyone, BMW is trying to figure out how to break America's love affair with HD. They have 3 big touring variants of the K series all designed for US roads. The GT is more or less the worldly version of the K series bikes. Good luck BMW on moving into HD territory, Americans aren't looking for sophistication or performance in their HD's - they're looking for a culture.

Congrats Arch!!! I’m with you on your decision..... you drop that’s kinda coin on a “toy” it better damn well be EXACTLY what you want no compromises.

I haven’t been in the HD culture that you speak of but for a few years. There’s a few like myself who have crotch rockets and adventure bikes to compliment their HD. But most are die hard blindly loyal to the MoCo..... There’s still factions that covet and swear up & down that the carb’d bikes are still better than the EFI versions!?!? They don’t give a rats behind about ABS or traction control or any other modern feature. All they care about is it’s got a HD badge and dripping with chrome!!!

Congrats Willie, and I guess it was a good thing you had some time to reconsider options. Now you're excited about what's to come!

Can't wait to hear about the bike, see pics! I've been eyeing a BMW myself, but it'll have to wait until kids are out of college at this point ;)

Well it was a long story and it's still going on. I put a down payment on a Black/Black K1600 GT. I was looking on the web at the UK site, and in the UK you can get a Black/Black bike with a black engine. Long story short the silver engine changes the bike totally IMO, so I cancelled it. Went looking for a K1600 GT Sport, which comes in blue/black with the black engine. Well turns out there are like 5 of those in the US (according to the dealer), but there was one in Charlotte, NC. So I put down on that one and last Saturday took them a check for the bike and they are shipping it to my house Saturday. Very excited, this is an amazing bike and the blue/black version is really distinctive.

The biggest thing about the BMW is it's level of isolation is amazing. It's not like a lack of feel, it's more like that feeling of a very expensive car. The engine is awesome. It pulls really strong right off idle. Reminds me of the Busa in many ways but it is super smooth and not as aggressive, especially on top. On the bike I rode (not mine), the party was over at 8K or so. So I stand by my contention that the busa has the best engine in motorcycling. I'll give a complete ride report when I have had her for a few weeks.

I added Nav 6, Engine and pannier protection and heated gear plugs (the OEM plug is only 10 amp).

Driving Lights.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

first sight.jpg

Rear Protection Bar 2.jpg

side view.jpg

Back