And realise it’s tiny , no where to get out of the wind

Then I go sit on a GS Adventure and I realise I don’t like the sit up position

BMW 1600 , like riding an oil tanker

So after an hour of tyre kicking and sitting on bikes

Off I ride on my trusty 105,000 mile 206hp Busa
Happy in the knowledge that my Riding style and bike of choice is Busa/ZZR

no need to sit on another bike for 2 more years

View attachment 1656342
206 HP? its tough to generate 206HP at the rear wheels with an extimated 15 percent drivetrain loss before that 195 crank HP can be transmitted to the wheel. Most modded(pipe and tune) busas make 180-190HP SAE on the HIGH side of HP levels at the rear wheel. If I was handed a 206HP dyno sheet on a stockish gen2 i would have to verify this wild claim with a different dyno pull at a different shop. respectfully... Its a wild claim. please tell me u got some heavier mods than a pipe and tune... that aside.. she still looks awesome.

Last edited:
206 HP? its tough to generate 206HP at the rear wheels with an extimated 15 percent drivetrain loss before that 195 crank HP can be transmitted to the wheel. Most modded(pipe and tune) busas make 180-190HP SAE on the HIGH side of HP levels at the rear wheel. If I was handed a 206HP dyno sheet on a stockish gen2 i would have to verify this wild claim with a different dyno pull at a different shop. respectfully... Its a wild claim. please tell me u got some heavier mods than a pipe and tune... that aside.. she still looks awesome.
Hi. I pulled 207 RWHP on a 1991 ZX 11. But it had a 1300 SBM kit with head work cams and rods. And 243 with a 50 shot on NOS.

Hi. I pulled 207 RWHP on a 1991 ZX 11. But it had a 1300 SBM kit with head work cams and rods. And 243 with a 50 shot on NOS.
i believe that... but mike... do u believe any piped and tuned stockish gen2 busa made 206HP at the rear wheel on an honest dyno? be sincere...... SAE numbers? repeatable results? This isnt the first time ive heard a wild claim like this... this isnt personal i swear.... i just like good info to be out there and when u go along with this stuff, we become complicit in promoting bad info. Im hoping the OP has had headwork done and maybe race fuel. That would at least be plausible.....

IMO, you can't evaluate a bike by throwing a leg over it. It takes a few miles to reorient yourself and your expectations. It's sort of like you need to cleanse the pallet before trying different food or wine. This can be tough because it takes a while to understand the new possibilities a bike offers.

I did the BMW thing too. Tried the S1000RR and frankly, the Ducati Multistrada is much better in most ways. The 1600 is a showroom star that faded almost as soon as it was delivered to my door. I don't know how a bike that looks like a world beater on paper could be so flawed in real use.

The GS however is a stealthy overachiever. The more you ride it the more you realize you've been missing the point of riding. It's efficiently fast even while being strangely clumsy. But you soon don't miss the power of the Busa and you ride it as often as you can because it's a crazy fun ride. You find yourself exploring places you never knew were there on roads you've been riding for years, or running errands you couldn't run on your Busa. Best of all the bike is invisible. Cops don't even notice you flying past at 80 in a 50. They don't even do the polite slow-down blip of the lights.

Most people think they hate BMWs but they actually hate BMW people. I get that and I don't really socialize with them either. But the GS is the best bike I have ever ridden.

IMO, you can't evaluate a bike by throwing a leg over it. It takes a few miles to reorient yourself and your expectations. It's sort of like you need to cleanse the pallet before trying different food or wine. This can be tough because it takes a while to understand the new possibilities a bike offers.

I did the BMW thing too. Tried the S1000RR and frankly, the Ducati Multistrada is much better in most ways. The 1600 is a showroom star that faded almost as soon as it was delivered to my door. I don't know how a bike that looks like a world beater on paper could be so flawed in real use.

The GS however is a stealthy overachiever. The more you ride it the more you realize you've been missing the point of riding. It's efficiently fast even while being strangely clumsy. But you soon don't miss the power of the Busa and you ride it as often as you can because it's a crazy fun ride. You find yourself exploring places you never knew were there on roads you've been riding for years, or running errands you couldn't run on your Busa. Best of all the bike is invisible. Cops don't even notice you flying past at 80 in a 50. They don't even do the polite slow-down blip of the lights.

Most people think they hate BMWs but they actually hate BMW people. I get that and I don't really socialize with them either. But the GS is the best bike I have ever ridden.
I saw one (GS) at the Home Depot yesterday and it was the dirtiest thing on two wheels...I talked to the owner and he said he rides it everywhere and just came from a logging road and it was muddy out there.

He said he was a long time BMW owner and has had them since the '70s and although this one isn't as tough as his older BMWs it is so much better in other ways.

Gen2 is 1406 cc
Ported head , big cams and 13.5:1 CR
206 rwhp is std stuff really with ECU tune and 4:1

When it was 1340 it was 190 hp at wheels

No wild claims here
I have only ever used this dyno
With stock exhausts pre ecu it made 180rwhp

Dynostar machine is not optimistic

Last edited:
Actually there was nothing really wrong with 1340 at 102,500 miles
Could have gone on for another 50,000

Some pitting on Ti valves , and crunched gears from QS needed replacing.
more over all suspending bearings were dry and neeeded swapping out
oh wow... not an old build then... a build thread would be nice... did u do one?

n
No not yet

I want to get the cams dialled in a bit to
improve some midrange
Lobes together less overlap

I lost some hp at 4000 rpm , makes more power > 6000
not to be a jerk... but smoothing out that air/fuel curve would improve the feel of the bike also and probably find that missing midrange. there is a dip in the torque.. i see it. an actual dip.... from 3000 to 3500 rpms... looks like u tired to get rid of that lean spike early on but ended up going pretty fat..... u were chasing the cure!!! i see it. i would target 13.1 or 13.2 early on and get it dead smooth and see what happens. The bike is talking to u..... u gotta figure out what she wants... she wont come out and just say it.. just like a real life woman.lol

Last edited:
Back