Anyone else have a significant other that rides?

KyleJ

Registered
My girlfriend has been ridden a few bikes that I have bought to fix and/or resell in the last few years. At the end of last season we started taking her out riding pretty regularly, enough that she was getting very comfortable and I wasn't having to coach her much anymore. Her birthday was a couple weeks ago and I decided to surprise her and buy her a bike of her own. I'll ride it here and there since it gets great mileage and is actually pretty damn fun for a 250. Today was our first day of nice weather in NE and we took it out and put a few miles on it.

2008 Yamaha WR250X. Factory Supermoto.
[

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my wife her first street bike last year. She really enjoys it and rides everywhere during the summer. She has a 750 Shadow that step has turned into a mini bagger.

Love the WR 250. I would like to get one for myself for trail riding. My track bike (CRF450R) is a birthday much in the woods. I would like something with a bit wider ratio.

My significant other is taking her drivers license for motorbike at the moment - only missing her driving test (the drivers license was my christmas present for her).
I have bought her a Honda CBR 600 F 2011, which arrived this week and now waits in the garage for her to get the license :laugh:

Honda_CBR600F_2011_Statiques_4.jpg

my girl has been asking me to teach her for the last few years so im going to get her something this year for a starter bike... maby an ex-250

The old lady and me. First time out after she got her bike (Ninja 300). I tried convincing her into getting a GSXR-600, but oh well. This was just a photo op, I wasn't riding b1tch.

My wife has her license, but wasnt comfortable with traffic. Didnt help her confidence when she got run off the road in NC because she wasnt going fast enough. We just got her a dirt bike and we will be spending lots of time in the off road parks.

Yeah, I let Omar take one of my Busas out after he finishes his chores :rofl:

Seriously, it's nice to have both of us ride our own. Omar wants me to ride on the back of his at least once, but I'm too much of a control freak to even consider it...it'll never happen, so he really needs to stop asking ;)

Can't wait for spring!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I let Omar take one of my Busas out after he finishes his chores :rofl:

Seriously, it's nice to have both of us ride our own. Omar wants me to ride on the back of his at least once, but I'm too much of a control freak to even consider it...it'll never happen, so he really needs to stop asking ;)

Can't wait for spring!!! :thumbsup:

I have to believe it's more of a trust issue then a control issue.

Do you not FLY because you are not in control?

He's asking for just one time? Giving him his wish might have long reaching benefits above and beyond what you have now. :whistle:

My wife has been riding for 9 years. Her current bike is a '97 Harley Davidson full custom, Pro-Street style. The motor was built by a old Harley drag bike guy from back east (John Sachs - also does Busas so I've heard) and runs good. The bike has a real low seat height (around 25") so it really works well for her (she's 5'2"). She also loves the power. She hasn't been riding much lately due to vision issues (cataracts). As soon as we can get that taken care of (Obamacare :angry:) she'll be back on the road.
We've been talking about selling the Harley and buying a sport bike for her. But then what to do about the old seat height issue?? She could ride a taller bike - maybe up to 30" with the right total weight (light as possible) and weight distribution (low as possible). She's very excited about riding something lighter, faster, and with better handling. When we get to that point I'll have to start a thread to query everyone for suggestions.

I have to believe it's more of a trust issue then a control issue.

Do you not FLY because you are not in control?

He's asking for just one time? Giving him his wish might have long reaching benefits above and beyond what you have now. :whistle:

I absolutely HATE flying for the same reason. I'm not in control. I'm a nervous wreck the entire flight, then wherever I am I find it hard to truly enjoy because I'm dreading the return flight. It's all a control issue. I've always been like that.

Nope, not getting on the back :laugh:

My wife has been riding for 9 years. Her current bike is a '97 Harley Davidson full custom, Pro-Street style. The motor was built by a old Harley drag bike guy from back east (John Sachs - also does Busas so I've heard) and runs good. The bike has a real low seat height (around 25") so it really works well for her (she's 5'2"). She also loves the power. She hasn't been riding much lately due to vision issues (cataracts). As soon as we can get that taken care of (Obamacare :angry:) she'll be back on the road.
We've been talking about selling the Harley and buying a sport bike for her. But then what to do about the old seat height issue?? She could ride a taller bike - maybe up to 30" with the right total weight (light as possible) and weight distribution (low as possible). She's very excited about riding something lighter, faster, and with better handling. When we get to that point I'll have to start a thread to query everyone for suggestions.

I had my Busa seat cut down, as have many here. It dropped me down quite a bit more than I'd expected, and that was after I'd had my Busa lowered. I honestly could have gotten away with just one of those options, but with both, there are no issues flat-footing the Busa.

I'm 5'6", but there was a gal here years ago that was 5'2" and drag-raced a stock Busa. She was all legs, so that shows me that you can't go by overall height. Everyone's legs are slightly different and your wife will have to sit on various bikes, then check out options to lower it and/or cut the seat down some if possible.

I absolutely HATE flying for the same reason. I'm not in control. I'm a nervous wreck the entire flight, then wherever I am I find it hard to truly enjoy because I'm dreading the return flight. It's all a control issue. I've always been like that.

Nope, not getting on the back :laugh:

I hope you never have to have a surgery as you would not be in control of the knife.

Do you never take a taxi either? How about any vehicle do you always have to drive.
Must have been weird when a guy picked you up for a date and then you said " I'm driving or we're not going." :laugh:

Do you Never listen to radio either as you are not in control of the music or what they say?

Reading the quote above it seems you HAVE flown even though you Hated it. Yet you Love your Boyfriend, but won't do the little request that he asked for?

It's your life and you can do what you want just seems funny that you refuse, when you are a female and it's much more common for a male to refuse
to ride on the back of another guys bike and I would argue that is because of image more then control. If I didn't think they were a good rider then I wouldn't get on.
However I assume Omar is a good rider - so IF he is not trust worthy then I could see not granting his request.

I hope you never have to have a surgery as you would not be in control of the knife.

Do you never take a taxi either? How about any vehicle do you always have to drive.
Must have been weird when a guy picked you up for a date and then you said " I'm driving or we're not going." :laugh:

Do you Never listen to radio either as you are not in control of the music or what they say?

Reading the quote above it seems you HAVE flown even though you Hated it. Yet you Love your Boyfriend, but won't do the little request that he asked for?

It's your life and you can do what you want just seems funny that you refuse, when you are a female and it's much more common for a male to refuse
to ride on the back of another guys bike and I would argue that is because of image more then control. If I didn't think they were a good rider then I wouldn't get on.
However I assume Omar is a good rider - so IF he is not trust worthy then I could see not granting his request.

I've had surgeries, most were deemed necessary to either have children or to fix issues to improve my quality of life. Flying is a choice I make to get from point A to point B, and trust me, if I could, I'd rather drive ;) Your options there are apples and oranges by the way, but whatever parallels you want to draw to continue this whatever-it-is you're doing is fine by me, I'll play along...

If given the choice with most of my friends, I'll drive, simply because I love to drive, and funny thing is many of my friends love having me drive anyway because I get us there in one piece with zero issues.

I hate taxis but I also rarely ever had to use one, so it's not really an issue.

I'm a music fanatic, and for the most part, if I'm driving, it's my music playing. I try to honor Omar's tastes in music if he's driving, but even he will turn it to my music when he's driving because he knows just how much I love music, way more than he does...do I demand this? Nope, but music drives nearly everything in my life, my moods, how I cope with things, I tune in to it always, and he does not, not like I do. Do I control it? No...

Omar drives often, and I have zero issues with that, but being in a car and being on the back of a bike are very different things as well. Again, apples and oranges. The last time I checked, I didn't know it mattered that I'm a female, I still have free will. I've been on the backs of bikes and it was never a thrill. I take that back; when I was 5 and riding with my Dad in Colorado, THAT was a thrill, but that was 40 years ago. Now it feels much like flying and not nearly as enjoyable as it probably should be, so I exercise my free will and opt to ride myself, on my own Busa that I've owned for nearly 13 years. That free will thing is pretty cool, an option open to both men and women. Imagine that :rofl:

When I signed up to date Omar, it didn't come with a contract that said I had to grant him wishes involving stepping over lines that make me unhappy, just as I'm fairly certain I wouldn't ask him to do things that make him unhappy or uncomfortable "just because I ask". I'm frequently going off and doing things I love and never expecting Omar to tag along simply because "it's my thing". Being autonomous AND in a relationship has its rewards.

i have ridden on the back of girls motorcycles before and honestly enjoyed the experience a lot. I taught a few girls how to ride that way.

My wife has her license and used to ride but sold her last bike, a Harley Sportster 883 because it was too top heavy and she didn't like riding it in town, even though she loved it out on the road. That was 7 years ago and try as I might I can't get her back on a bike. I always enjoyed riding together. We took some long trips but mostly it was fun evening or weekend rides to places we'd never been or split second decisions to ride 20-30 miles to get ice cream after supper or try a new restaurant.

Back