My Other Bike Is A ........

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Yesterday was my birthday and I woke up and decided today was the day. I bought a 2018 BMW K 1600 GT in black. They are getting it from somewhere in NJ so not sure when they can get it here, especially with the snow and all. Been saving for a new (additional) bike for 4 years now, still won't cover this beast though!

I looked at HDs, an Indian, Yamahas (v-twins and FRJ), Kawasaki Connie, and BMW's bagger. After some freezing test ride (not all yesterday, been looking for months), I finally decided the 1600 GT is more me. Big factor was the engine, the 1600 reminds me of the Busa. Not as strong obviously but it gives you that same "this is my road" sort of confidence.

Plan to do a lot of 2 & 3 day trips to the western part of the state (blue ridge mountains). I suppose at 56 it's time to act more like a gentleman, lol! As for the Busa I am going to strip her down and ride it like a stole it. Will do more track days. I plan to get some wheels and get her down to 450-470 lbs wet. May even get those race skins with Geritol & Preparation-H logos for sponsorship.

I'll post pictures when I get her.

You will like that bike, I miss mine. Are you going to install another exhaust? I hated the sound of mine, she needed to be woken up, but those parts are pricey.

I kinda wish you hadn't posted this. I have to sheepishly admit that I too have been looking at more touring based bikes and I came across a slightly used BMW 160o here with like 2800 miles on it and became a little drooly over it. I sorta gravitate towards a Connie in my head. Turbo it and have the Busa go with the tour show. But the Bimmer is a monster. It sort of makes me feel older and more GoldWing like when I say I think its a great bike. I don't know if I need to go all the way over to that side of touring.

But I haven't ridden my Busa in 2 seasons. My girl can't take the riding position as a passenger and I really have been hard pressed to find the time I need to ride. Then when I do, I'm sore for 2 days.

SIGH.

Sucks getting older.

I kinda wish you hadn't posted this. I have to sheepishly admit that I too have been looking at more touring based bikes and I came across a slightly used BMW 160o here with like 2800 miles on it and became a little drooly over it. I sorta gravitate towards a Connie in my head. Turbo it and have the Busa go with the tour show. But the Bimmer is a monster. It sore of makes me feel older and more GoldWing like when I say I think its a great bike. I don't know if I need to go all the way over to that side of touring.

But I haven't ridden my Busa in 2 seasons. My girl can't take the ridinhg position as a passenger and I really have been hard pressed to find the time I need to ride. Then when I do, I'm sore for 2 days.

SIGH.

Sucks getting older.

Congrats on your new bike Arch :beerchug:

What happened with the KTM SuperDuke GT?

I know you just dropped a large chunk of coin on that Beamer but you should think about getting a Remus full exhaust for it. Those stock cans on that BMW are just like the Busa. 40+ pounds of dead weight on a large bike. That Remus exhaust will give it some bark and lighten it up significantly. I’ve heard 1 with a set of Remus’s on it and they sounded damn good :race:

Congrats on your new bike Arch :beerchug:

What happened with the KTM SuperDuke GT?

I know you just dropped a large chunk of coin on that Beamer but you should think about getting a Remus full exhaust for it. Those stock cans on that BMW are just like the Busa. 40+ pounds of dead weight on a large bike. That Remus exhaust will give it some bark and lighten it up significantly. I’ve heard 1 with a set of Remus’s on it and they sounded damn good :race:

Does have a bit of a sewing machine song OEM, lol! But I need to save my extra money to finish up the busa. Maybe in a couple years I'll get back to working on the BMW. For now it's for riding, the Busa is still my statement bike and my toy.

Congratulations!! 3 of my buddies have K1600s, and love them! One of them also has a 2011 Busa, but is looking to sell it last I heard.

Great score Arch , the trip plans in future sounds like excellent recreational motorcycling joy :thumbsup:. Really like the ideas for the Busa , that track itch is sure catching ! Congrats on your Birthday . Growing old slowly and gracefully and in style bro . :beerchug:

Congrats I’m also suprised you went with the BMW. I think I rember you saying after you sat on the KTM you didn’t like it as much as you expected.

Gotta get those pics posted soon or ya might get banned. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Congrats I’m also suprised you went with the BMW. I think I rember you saying after you sat on the KTM you didn’t like it as much as you expected.
Gotta get those pics posted soon or ya might get banned. :beerchug:

The KTM is a great bike. It's a little like the Busa was back in the day, sort of a king of the road bad boy swagger to it. But 1busa started me thinking about the fact that the KTM was a lot like the Busa, but with top shelf electronics. In the end I decided I would give Suzuki a shot at a Gen 3 Busa rather than go with the KTM. That's setting the bar pretty high for the Busa, the KTM is very impressive.

Truth is I had started riding less and less. I just don't feel like dragging my knees on public streets, risking jail at 175 mph, or burning up those rear tires before I change them out. I still love doing all that stuff, just not every chance I get. I started looking at some more age appropriate rides after 1busa's post on the KTM. So the BMW was coming across as a touring bike with a Busa mentality (engine first). That was the decision making process basically. I should add that the KTM kitted up the way I wanted it was $25K, which I thought was too much for that bike.

It'll be interesting to see if the BMW becomes the friend the Busa has (will Maria find me sitting in the garage talking to it? lol!). I really don't intend to mod the BMW (not much not on it!), and I have never had an OEM bike for long, so we'll see what happens when I get the itch.

The KTM is a great bike. It's a little like the Busa was back in the day, sort of a king of the road bad boy swagger to it. But 1busa started me thinking about the fact that the KTM was a lot like the Busa, but with top shelf electronics. In the end I decided I would give Suzuki a shot at a Gen 3 Busa rather than go with the KTM. That's setting the bar pretty high for the Busa, the KTM is very impressive.

Truth is I had started riding less and less. I just don't feel like dragging my knees on public streets, risking jail at 175 mph, or burning up those rear tires before I change them out. I still love doing all that stuff, just not every chance I get. I started looking at some more age appropriate rides after 1busa's post on the KTM. So the BMW was coming across as a touring bike with a Busa mentality (engine first). That was the decision making process basically. I should add that the KTM kitted up the way I wanted it was $25K, which I thought was too much for that bike.

It'll be interesting to see if the BMW becomes the friend the Busa has (will Maria find me sitting in the garage talking to it? lol!). I really don't intend to mod the BMW (not much not on it!), and I have never had an OEM bike for long, so we'll see what happens when I get the itch.

Gotta hand it to ya Arch for stepping outside your sportbike comfort zone :thumbsup:

You have a passion for motorcycles like I do and it’s good to add diversity to your 2wheeled portfolio.

If you would’ve told me 10 years ago that I’d be riding around on a HD Bagger while a 200+HP hayabusa is sitting in my garage I would’ve said I needed my head examined :D But different types of bikes provide different riding experiences. Some may suit you and some may not..... But it’s always a good thing to challenge yourself and gain perspective on new things.

I'm waiting for Ali123 to chime in and call me an old fart. In this case he would be right though, Lol!
I guess I’m an old fart too, because I’ve been dreaming with a Connie for years now. I would be happy if I could park a 2010 or newer Connie next to the bus and the DR650. Oh,,,, and I’m also surprised that you got a bmw instead of the KTM because I don’t even remember you talking too much about a bmw.

I guess I’m an old fart too, because I’ve been dreaming with a Connie for years now. I would be happy if I could park a 2010 or newer Connie next to the bus and the DR650. Oh,,,, and I’m also surprised that you got a bmw instead of the KTM because I don’t even remember you talking too much about a bmw.

Funny how age changes your perspective. As you probably noticed I'm into the technical stuff and the KTM is a fascinating bike. I was taken by the BMW 6 when it came out but had sort of moved that one to the back due to cost and weight. I have a lot of friends with BMWs and some with the 1600 who are actually pretty fast on rides. The BMW seems to be the hot rod of the arm chair touring bikes (700+ lbs).

Back