My friends first motorcycle

So my friend has ridden dirt bikes he knows how to shift. I let him ride my ZX 6R and he fell in love. I already know what most of you are going to say but hear me out. There’s a 2003 Hayabusa really clean with 11,000 miles for $6000. I know it sounds crazy for his first bike I totally get it and as a friend I should be saying no. I did at first, I said hell no! I realized a 600 still goes 160 miles an hour pretty damn fast. I rode my 600 way more reckless and crazy than I do my Hayabusa. He would respect it. What do you guys think? Are there power modes on the 2003? There’s a kid on my street at 16 years old started on a 1000 Kawasaki ninja and he still rides to this day and that was 10 years ago.

Last edited:
No modes on an' 03. It's all about respecting the power and riding within' your limits. Test either one of those...could hurt a little bit. No one turns that throttle for you,nobody forces you. The odd qwik burst here and there to keep it interesting and he should be good. Street riding is nothing like dirt biking.Make sure he knows all the differences.
Good luck to him...
Rubb.

A Hayabusa will only go as fast as the rider makes it go. The insurance for a new rider might be a problem but the bike can be tame or a monster-it's up to the right wrist.

That being said, would I recommend such a bike to a new rider-NOPE!

A CBR600 should fit the bill but will get you into trouble in a hurry as well.

A motorcycle doesn't "care" is you "respect" it. It only "cares" if you have developed the skill set to control it properly.

No amount of respect will keep a new rider from performing a ham fisted mistake with the throttle and/or target fixating themselves into the ditch.

Those skills are more easily developed on a small bike.

Shyite happens SO MUCH FASTER on a powerful sport bike.

If you really give a rats azzs about your friend recommend something more appropriate to learn street riding skills on.

cheers
ken

@kml ...I think I'm gonna have to click that follow button on you. I see yer name up on a thread and I always give it a peek to see what wonders you have shared. I see yer name and it takes me back to a thread where you said something like "rescue a dog from a homeless shelter and your a hero"
"Date a girl from the projects and yer a fug" Something like that. Still cracks me up. Yer posts make me laugh.... :thumbsup:
Anyways...back to flaming this members buddy....dirt bike > Busa....
He should be fine right Ken... You know,show the Busa Gods some respect in regards to "The Powah" right? Nope...better give a rats azz...
rofl.gif

Rubb.

Reactions: kml
So my friend has ridden dirt bikes he knows how to shift. I let him ride my ZX 6R and he fell in love. I already know what most of you are going to say but hear me out. There’s a 2003 Hayabusa really clean with 11,000 miles for $6000. I know it sounds crazy for his first bike I totally get it and as a friend I should be saying no. I did at first, I said hell no! I realized a 600 still goes 160 miles an hour pretty damn fast. I rode my 600 way more reckless and crazy than I do my Hayabusa. He would respect it. What do you guys think? Are there power modes on the 2003? There’s a kid on my street at 16 years old started on a 1000 Kawasaki ninja and he still rides to this day and that was 10 years ago.
My first bike was an '86 ninja 1000 and I rode it around the neighborhood for a month before I was comfortable going out with traffic. As long as he takes it slow and respects it, I don't think it's an issue.
Also, my clone is for sale on Ebay with only 292 miles :cool: 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa | eBay

How old is your friend? Have they owned a bike of any kind before? If your friend has learned to ride in a dirt environment, then they're better off than most street riders ... providing they've actually learned (and practiced). The importance of balance is exaggerated in dirt, as is traction, body position and certainly braking/throttle control - riding components that, if properly applied, translate to a paved environment quite nicely.

If a person is wise enough to appreciate, understand and respect the power Hayabusas offer - if they can maintain that 'student's mind' while learning, the Hayabusa is no different than any other bike.

Back