Help my buddy decide...

au03z71

Registered
All right,

My buddy is about to purchase his first streetbike. He wanted a GSXR 600, but he only got approved for $8k at the dealership and the 600 was 9200 out the door...but I digress...

He went to the Kawasaki dealership and found the Ninja 650R and was likened to it. He then went to a new dealership in town that carries the Korean build Hyosung 650R. I have read a couple reviews on the bike and it seems like it would be a decent ride, it just hasn't built the reputation that the Suzukis, Hondas, and Kawasakis have over the years, partly due to its recent arrival here in the US.

So, I am requesting the board's assistance in guiding my friend in his decision. Do any of you have any experience with the Hyosung and/or the Ninja 650R. I know that neither are the calibur of, say, a Hayabusa or GSXR 1000 but bear in mind that this is his first bike...

Thanks in advance

here comes the flames but I do not feel either bike is a "Great" first bike.. SV650 would be a better choice IMO.. easier to ride while he learns the ropes and reflexes needed for street life.. Perhaps if he has a lot of dirt bike time it would be safer.. but still a lot of bike to learn on..

He can ride. I've lent him my 08' Busa with no hesitation. It's not the learning curve that is the problem it's his credit...lol

our Zuke dealer sells the Hyo as well... I have no idea the quality of the bike but looks pretty much like any other sport bike.. seems there were a bit cheaper..

I've seen a couple reviews online and the only gripe is the maintenance schedule. I think the oil change is every 2700 miles...

I think the Hyosungs look pretty cool for what they are. You're obviously not going to get all the years of racing technology that goes into refining the machines of the big 3. So in that regard my opinion would be the bike may not work as well together as the Ninja. I'd also be slightly concerned in parts for service, I'm not sure what there US stock is as it being relatively new and not a huge stateside dealer network yet.

Now all that being said, I think the price is pretty competitive for what they offer. I'd try and find a dealer that would let him test ride one first before laying down the $$$. He knows what he's getting with a Zuk or Kwak, but the Hyosung may be a differnet story.

I've seen a couple reviews online and the only gripe is the maintenance schedule. I think the oil change is every 2700 miles...
I would bet only 1 in 10 even get close to "suggested schedule" but if that is the only complaint, that is pretty stellar...

I agree with Bogus...SV650

P1040521.jpg

Hyosung msrp is $6k. I would go with that bike since the reviews aren't that bad. If he is dead set on a "Street" bike. Why pay out more $$ for something that will serve the same purpose. "Learning". Chances are he is going to have a couple mishaps. Save the $2-3k worth of learning curve of mistakes he is going to make. Body repair is prob cheaper for the Hyosung basing on the price of the bike.

Whichever route he goes have him put off doing mods for while until he really knows what he is doing on bike. Exhaust $$ would sure be a wasted mod if its all scratched up from a tip-over. Drill out the stock exhaust for sound.

650R with out a doubt is the best of the two. A friend got one for a daily commuter when they first came out. 25k miles later not one problem. The only shop I knew that carried the Hayo. dropped them. Owner said they keep the shop clogged up with warranty work

I rented the Ninja before purchasing my busa, its an ok bike for what it is. If his credit is a problem and all he can do is get 8k try 06 or earlier bikes. I mean if he has ridden a busa, nothing else will compare. He will be bored with either choice before the season is over.

I have a friend who has a Hyosung 650....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE save your friend and dont let him do it! The bike only has 4,000 miles on it, already has gone through 2 sets of brake pads, it feels very cheap when riding it, and worst of all, the resale value is terrible. My buddy is trying to get rid of his, and dealerships only want to give him around $4,000 for a 2006 model with the low miles. Where are you located?

I rented the Ninja before purchasing my busa, its an ok bike for what it is.  If his credit is a problem and all he can do is get 8k try 06 or earlier bikes.  I mean if he has ridden a busa, nothing else will compare.  He will be bored with either choice before the season is over.
i agree

the Kawi is a nice scoot and a good learner but its a short term bike. the wife was on it for her first year and is now on the gixxer 600, it is a big upgrade. the kawi, is very forgiving and would make a great commuter but if performance is desired after the learning, a new ride will be in the cards. Get a pre-owned learner, save for the gixxer 600 and then trade up in a year or so. This was our expierence, hope it helps. Good luck.

the Kawi is a nice scoot and a good learner but its a short term bike. the wife was on it for her first year and is now on the gixxer 600, it is a big upgrade. the kawi, is very forgiving and would make a great commuter but if performance is desired after the learning, a new ride will be in the cards. Get a pre-owned learner, save for the gixxer 600 and then trade up in a year or so. This was our expierence, hope it helps. Good luck.
Well now, there you go! Sounds like good advice.....from experience!

Yup, if he wants a 600 he's not going to be happy with something else. Do a used 600 then trade up for a 2010 Gixxer or such.
Don't know anything about the china bike but a buddy of mine has a 650R and it's a great little bike for it's intended purpose. If your brand loyal to Suzuki you'd probably want an SV, personally I'd go with the Ninja simply because I think (note, this is an IMO call only) they look better. Both are great bikes, just depends on whether you like an S or a K on it.

I have a friend who has a Hyosung 650....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE save your friend and dont let him do it!  The bike only has 4,000 miles on it, already has gone through 2 sets of brake pads, it feels very cheap when riding it, and worst of all, the resale value is terrible.  My buddy is trying to get rid of his, and dealerships only want to give him around $4,000 for a 2006 model with the low miles.   Where are you located?
Located in Southeast Alabama. Dothan to be specific.

Back