Fixing oil suckage in 2003 (project for a friend)

mattrat

Registered
Well, I have volunteered to sort out the oil suckage and other problems in my friend's 2003 Hayabusa. This thread will be my photo diary and tons of questions for you experts out there.

I haven't seen the bike yet - My friend jason is dropping it off tomorrow. My understanding is that the bike has been laid down twice, both at low speeds, so My initial guess is some gasket shifted... (we all know first blind guess never works out)

Anyway...I have the service manual and my first task once it gets here will be a compression test. I guess I'll just start there and see where it takes me.

Plenty of pics and words to come.
-Matt

Not sure yet. Just got here. Engine runs but sounds terrible. definitely burning oil by the smell of the exhaust. sounds like something is broken inside - metallic sound when running - Sounds like a bad valve but not as fast as valve sounds I have heard before. I guess I'll know more tomorrow or whenever I open it up.
it's raining so I didnt get good outside shots, But I promised pics along the way so here's some preliminary pics:
busa010.jpg

busa007.jpg

snug in its temporary home.

ok...first set of questions:
I cannot find the fuel tank prop stay - think it's not there, but if anyone can tell me where they might have hidden the dern thing.

The service manual points to fuel tank plugs (page 4-50), but I can't find them. I can just drain the tank, but if someone can tell me what I'm looking for that would be appreciated.

the rod should be in the compartment underneath the rear seat on the side wall in 2 white clips
hope this helps!

I just chopped a piece of PVC pipe to hold the tank up.
Airbox is out - pulled the plugs, and realized I my compression tester needs an adapter - the threads dont match. Anyone know where to find an adapter to the correctsize threads? (My compression tester is a Napa 2428 (professsional 900 series)
I'll call napa tomorrow but just in case someone here knows the part #?

More pics:
Airbox out
busa013.jpg

some ugly looking plugs
busa014.jpg

definitely sucking oil - all four have oil on the threads.

Brief update:

1) No oil on the floor after sitting for 3 days - it's just burning oit, not leaking.

2) this is fun...My compression tester does not have a 12mm adapter, and nobody sells one by itself. I'm not going to buy another compression testing kit, so here's my solution:
cut an old spark plug in half and weld the 14mm adapter into the end of the spark plug. I'll post pictures when it's done.

How to make your own 12mm adapter for compression testing:
1) Cut a spark plug in half, remove all of the ceramic bits
busa015.jpg

2)Grind the threads off of of one of the adapters you have (here using a 14mm)
busa016.jpg

3) spread some JB weld around the ground end of the adapter, slide it into the cut off spark plug, and let if set for a day or so.
busa017.jpg

This should hold fine for the pressure test. I would have welded it, but I don't have my own welder and the local machine shop was swamped with some big order...

I'll be testing tomorrow after it sets and let you guys know what's next. I may need some advice on doing a leak down test.

so I stopped by the local dealer to pick up some new plugs...and got an interesting opinion = improper mapping.

Bike is equipped with Power commander 3 and D&D pipes - how do I check if it has correct mapping? (almost all of my previous bikes were carbed, so I'm kinda new to mapping)

Compression test results:
Left to Right

105 psi
130 psi
135 psi
135 psi

Houston, we have a problem!

Engine was not fully warmed up so the lower than expected numbers don't really bother me...but that 20+ precent shortage in #1 is a problem...

I guess we'll be taking some internal pictures soon!

Ok...need a little help here because this thing doesn't look anything like the service manual...

Service manual shows 2 fuel hoses...I only see one here...is this an aftermarket fuel system or am I just dense?

SalmonalaAustin006.jpg

SalmonalaAustin005.jpg

SalmonalaAustin004.jpg

The older fuel pumps were different. If you have a downloaded manual, that's what you are seeing in it. What you have there is stock fuel system.

so I stopped by the local dealer to pick up some new plugs...and got an interesting opinion = improper mapping.

Bike is equipped with Power commander 3 and D&D pipes - how do I check if it has correct mapping? (almost all of my previous bikes were carbed, so I'm kinda new to mapping)

Only real way to know if the map is correct is to hook up an O2 sensor. A run on a dyno will take care of that if you don't have a stand alone unit.

i hope your boy is buying plenty of beer for this project. sounds like you've got your hands full. :laugh::thumbsup:

Back