My fender mod...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I done it. I cut the back fender. I'm not sure if I'm happy with it yet. I may cut more. I thought this cut would please me but I don't think I like it sticking down below the tag. I was trying to leave the rubber bumper for the tag to rest on so it didn't vibrate around. Maybe I should just let it hang? :super:

Anyway, here's the initial mod. It'd be easy from here to shorten it on up if I decide to go that way. Stopping here until I'm sure about it leaves room for more cutting. Cutting too much off leaves you SCREWED if you don't like it. That's why I left it as is until I decide. Thought ya'll might enjoy the pics I took during the mod anyway. :D

IMG_0245.jpg

First three pics are just different angles of the stock fender to compare to the end result...

IMG_0246.jpg

First I cut the bottom half off to use as a template for the top cut. I figured going with the stock shape, only shorter would look pretty nice and kinda like it came from the factory that way. Oracle used this trick and I thought his turned out well. I cut just below the tag bumper because that's where I planned to cut to.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067986258 -->

IMG_0248.jpg

Then I lined the cut off piece up with where I wanted to cut and hung it with masking tape. While holding the template firmly in place I took a box cutter with a sharp blade and scored around the template edge to mark for my cut.

*Props to Oracle for the scoring with blade tip thing. I saw it in his fender mod thread and it worked great. Just have to be careful to score exactly where you want to cut.

IMG_0249.jpg

Here's a shot with the blade scoring where I cut the fender. May be a little hard to see in the pic...

IMG_0250.jpg

And here's the fender after the cut was made. I smoothed the edges with a file and then some sandpaper. Left a nice smooth edge. Note: The edge was cut but not "finished" in this shot.

For comparison...

post-6-85781-img_0247.jpg

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067986895 -->

IMG_0251.jpg

Here's the end result. Three pics from different angles...

For comparison I'll include the before pics here...

post-6-85863-img_0246.jpg

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067986691 -->

IMG_0254.jpg

I have to say that it's a HUGE improvement over the stock look. It was an easy mod, too.

I started out trying to lay out a shape I liked with masking tape. After over an hour of trying different shapes I settled on the stock shape for now. If I go shorter I will work on a better shape. Just couldn't get the creative juices flowing on this today. :sad:

BT, did you try this because you are still deciding which undertail to get or didn't have anything else to do today?

BT, did you try this because you are still deciding which undertail to get or didn't have anything else to do today?
Don't know if I'll do the undertail thing or not. I just ain't crazy about any of them. Does it look that bad BigBS? :super:

Oh, you're right about one thing. It was raining today so I couldn't go ride and had nothing else to do. :D

I cut mine off just under the "ridge" and drilled holes (make holes big enough for the blinker stock to slide into) in the remaining flat-black section (just above where blinkers used to mount) for the blinkers. This way they are supported by the hard piece of plastic inside the tail pan. Took a piece of aluminum angle painted it black and bolted right up under the taillight for the license. Need to sand the cut area smooth by hand or with a sander. Looks great.

Mike

Gettr naked Train ,cut sum more //////////////I wanna see more azz. :laugh:

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067991075 -->

Don't know if I'll do the undertail thing or not. I just ain't crazy about any of them. Does it look that bad BigBS? :super:

Oh, you're right about one thing. It was raining today so I couldn't go ride and had nothing else to do. :D
No, it looks good. Just wondered what prompted the cutting. I have thought of doing something like that, perhaps shorter, taking the rear turn signals off and buying a signal integrator.

No, it looks good.  Just wondered what prompted the cutting.  I have thought of doing something like that, perhaps shorter, taking the rear turn signals off and buying a signal integrator.
The rear fender was the main thing about the busa that I really didn't like from the factory. Just too long. It has been on my list for a while but I never thought about it when I had time. I had cleared my schedule and taken care of all my errands and chores yesterday so I could ride today and it rained so I was stuck in the house with nothing to do. That's what prompted me to do it today. ;)

Back