My bike have a Tricky Leak

Hi People....

Sorry for being so quite on this topic lately. Had big issues at work first a printer corrupted then my pc crashed and that with big laser orders that i needed to export and difficult clients so yeah blah blah blah anyway :-/

So i did read all the posts and today we stripped the bike again. Cleaned the engin very well.

I did check the stator cover and that gasket was way over its expiry. Thin and in 2 pieces. Replaced the gasket, fitted the cover and yeah really thought that was the end of the leakage. Went for a 60km ride, went back to the workshop, lifted it on the paddocks just to find it leaking again. Luckily, this time (after 3rd engin clean and fairing strip attemp) we managed to spot the leak!!! Its the shifter shaft seal.

But as suggested earlier i think i will just replace the clutch pushrod seal aswell with shaft seal, then everything will be sorted forsure....
So now it would probaly take minimum a week to get a seal to me and then i will fit it with the new radiator thats on its way. (Radiator should be here by Teusday latest)

Oh i also went on a shopping spree for thicker sump plugs washers and found one twice as thick as the original one. So now i am sure everything is fine on the sump aswel :-)

Thanks so much for all your input and advice and video.... it really helped alot! I really appreciate it! Think i might still have a long journey ahead on learning the mechanical parts and fault finding and screwing up things through stupidity etc. I really regret that i have not started to work my own bike years ago!

I will check online for that kit for future use.... but here local it aint available unforgently....

Chiming in a bit late on this one but I’d be looking at your clutch slave cylinder, some of those drops look a bit thin, to be engine oil, my slave cylinder seal was leaking and it perished a water hose on the water pump, causing a split, which emptied my water system, which resulted in overheating, in the middle of nowhere, leading to a blown head gasket (don’t ask), I’d only just bought the bike.
Check your clutch fluid level, through the site glass on the left, handlebar reservoir, that’s a good indication of a leaking slave cylinder, check the couloir too, hydraulic clutches degrade fluid fast and turd the fluid black, replace the fluid, if that’s happened.
Also, the clutch pushrod seal, is sandwiched between the crankcases, in a groove, it is not possible to change this properly, without splitting the engine crankcases.

Thanks David!
I had that issue October last year. Was out on a day trip about 250km away to the west. On my way back about 130km away from home i noticed my clutch not taking properly and when we reached the next town the clutch was gone! Luckily i knew someone there and called them to bring me some tools (Forgot my tool kit at home) So there, at a service station i stripped the bike and bleeded the clutch-lol. Luckily it was a slow leak so i made it home after that and on top of that Suzuki here could not help me with the seal so it took them 2 months to get one here. So once a week i topped up that brakefluid.

Each 10-15000km i bleed out my brakes and clutch and each 20 000km i flush the radiator.

Anyway to give an update on the oil seals-I cant get hold of the guy in SA to get them seals imported. So i contacted our local Suzuki Agent and they have no clue what i am talking about! So i must build up some patience and hope and then go to them and hopefully get the seals ordered.

To give you an idea on how Suzuki is here.....
First time i went there and asked them to show me a variety of tyres they stock for my Gen2 Hayabusa- they went to the store and brought me a Motorcross nobby tyre...
Again after that when i phoned for sprockets and chain-again for the Gen2 Hayabusa they asked me what it is? I replied what do you mean and they asked me is it a Kawazaki/Triumph/Suzuki/Aprilia/Honda/Yamaha....

So about an hour ago i phoned.... They would have called me back in 10 minutes time, so i will call again at 14:00 and if they cant answer me i will be paying there shop a visit and let them understand AGAIN how dumb and useless they are...... :-)

So...... I finally got someone to get me the seals and it will be here by Wednesday or Thursday next week.....

Now i have not looked so nice at where the seal is exactly and how to get it out (noticed leak with fairings on and have not stripped after that day yet again)

Is it just basic covers that needs to be removed or must the whole engin be removed?

Which seals, have you ordered? Do you know exactly where the leak is coming from?

I got the one for the clutch where the pushrod goes into engin to engage and disengage the clutch and the one around the shifter shaft. The leak appears to come from the clutch pushrod seal. The larger seal with the metal at the back and hole in the middle for pushrod to enter.

So yesterday we stripped everything and yes, the seal enters from the inside of engin. Thats not good news cause now for engin removal i must save up plus minus 8000 N$ to fix a bloody leaking seal.
But before we do that, we are going to try something else-the plan is to let an engineering shop make me a new shaft to fit in the leaking seal (the oil appears to be leaking out of the hole in centre of seal around the pushrod-there is a little play in that hole where it have a tight fit in the new seal) so we hope that the new pushrod will stop the leak by making it a little thicker so it will fit just as tight in old seal as it would have in the new seal.

Seems its the sand and dirt that got caughtup in there that ware and tare the seal by going in and out with pushrod making that hole slightly larger.

We did replace the shiftershaft seal and also the gaskit.

I assume just ontop left of where the pushrod goes in-is the waterpump, yes?

Besides the shifter seal and clutch pushrod seal and stator cover gaskit, is there any other seals that can leak? Maybe behind the waterpump?

If the engin is getting removed and opened up for seal replacement....

Can we just replace the seal and close engin again or is there other stuff that also must be replaced once engin is opened up?

To give you an idea on how Suzuki is here.....
First time i went there and asked them to show me a variety of tyres they stock for my Gen2 Hayabusa- they went to the store and brought me a Motorcross nobby tyre...
Again after that when i phoned for sprockets and chain-again for the Gen2 Hayabusa they asked me what it is? I replied what do you mean and they asked me is it a Kawazaki/Triumph/Suzuki/Aprilia/Honda/Yamaha....

So about an hour ago i phoned.... They would have called me back in 10 minutes time, so i will call again at 14:00 and if they cant answer me i will be paying there shop a visit and let them understand AGAIN how dumb and useless they are...... :-)

I ended up getting the seals from a local shop called Buddies Bikes.... Until today i have not heard a word from Suzuki but the sales person there and me ended up having words for each other about there bad service and i lost my temper a bit and yeah now my doors are closed there. I may not be their customer anymore.

I ended up getting the seals from a local shop called Buddies Bikes.... Until today i have not heard a word from Suzuki but the sales person there and me ended up having words for each other about there bad service and i lost my temper a bit and yeah now my doors are closed there. I may not be their customer anymore.
It's their loss Tian, better off not doing business with morons like that lot.
Just use the internet to order and supply parts for your pride and joy my friend. Way better.

It's their loss Tian, better off not doing business with morons like that lot.
Just use the internet to order and supply parts for your pride and joy my friend. Way better.

True that my freind.... True that....

Have a blessed weekend! Safe travels ;-)

To add something to your ‘push rod’ seal situation.
I forced my one out of my engine, without splitting the crankshafts, (I didn’t check the book, my mistake) so, I ended up with a BIG problem the new pushrod seal, is included, in the new clutch slave cylinder repair kit, so I presumed, changing the pushrod seal, would be easy, I couldn’t believe that suzuk, would use such a terrible design on their engine, for what is basically a consumable item.

I managed to trim the raised lip of the new seal down on a bench grinder, clean up the recessed hole (once I’d removed the old seal) with brake cleaner, squeeze a load of oil resistant rtv in, place the ‘modified’ seal in the hole and install a nice fitting cir clip over the seal, inside the groove, it has not leaked since doing this.
If you do decide to machine a thicker rod, I can tell you, that once the seal is out the hole that you have, is not much bigger, than the pushrod, so, it would be wise to investigate how much bigger, than the original size, you can go.

u might really seriously consider leaving the bike dripping a little and during the off season doing the work... shop around and order everything u might want to do and plan it out... might wanna try to do the engine removal yourself.. maybe a bigbore kit/headwork:)

To add something to your ‘push rod’ seal situation.
I forced my one out of my engine, without splitting the crankshafts, (I didn’t check the book, my mistake) so, I ended up with a BIG problem the new pushrod seal, is included, in the new clutch slave cylinder repair kit, so I presumed, changing the pushrod seal, would be easy, I couldn’t believe that suzuk, would use such a terrible design on their engine, for what is basically a consumable item.

I managed to trim the raised lip of the new seal down on a bench grinder, clean up the recessed hole (once I’d removed the old seal) with brake cleaner, squeeze a load of oil resistant rtv in, place the ‘modified’ seal in the hole and install a nice fitting cir clip over the seal, inside the groove, it has not leaked since doing this.
If you do decide to machine a thicker rod, I can tell you, that once the seal is out the hole that you have, is not much bigger, than the pushrod, so, it would be wise to investigate how much bigger, than the original size, you can go.

I like what you did.... I just screen shot it and send it to my freind who is helping me with all this-perhaps we could do the same.... :-)

But if not, the rod is the next best option before removing the engin.... We have measure that size real carefully.... It will basically me made with 3 size. Normal size at beginning and ending points going into the casing and into the clutch bearing thingy so it wont get stuck and 0.2mm thicker ( at only the seal part with the distance it moves forward and backwards....

u might really seriously consider leaving the bike dripping a little and during the off season doing the work... shop around and order everything u might want to do and plan it out... might wanna try to do the engine removal yourself.. maybe a bigbore kit/headwork:)

Lol we don't have off season here.... We never get snow, or rain for more than 6 hours at a time.... So bike is all i have....

What i am well consedering now if the pushrod trick wont work is 2 buy a Royal Enfield bike as a spare bike... ( cheap cheap here lol) cause then i will be sorted out transport wise and can take my time with the Busa (As me and freind will be doing it-he owns a car workshop so we do everything there where there is more than enough space, equipment and tools)

There is no off season here my freind....
And i only have this one bike.... So whenever big work needs to be done i must loan a car to get my stuff done while bike is being worked. So this is the biggest reason why i am looking for other solutions which might be quicker. But in the mean time i am also working on purchasing a 2nd bike-still busy with research and comparing options etc. Anyway- the pushrod mod will only be a temporary solution if even a solution at all. So once i get the 2nd bike sorted i will fix the Busa properly. I am consedering doing some headwork on her yes :-)

My friend have a workshop so we will be doing the engin removal at his place where all tools and equipment is available.

Back