My bike have a Tricky Leak

Tian

Registered
Good day,

So from November i noticed a oil leak. Its not leaking always and 5 or 6 drops then it stops.
So when we fitted the new fairing we cleaned everything and had it idled to hot temperature, but nothing. About a week later it started again.

I fitted a new chain and sprockets about a month or so ago, also had the complete engin clean and went for a hard ride naked, left it for a couple of hours, idled again but no leak. Rode for another 2 or 3 days and no leak.
About 2 or 3 days later after i fitted the fairings again, i found the first couple of oil spots again. When i remove the fairings then i cant see where it comes from cause my sump is wet, the left side engin covers is also wet so i really cant tell where it is originating from.

The oil drops is below the sump plug area and sometimes more to the kickstand area.
What could cause this or what seal may cause only temporary leaking?
Had 2 different mechanics looked at it but not one can tell.

When i drive to work at morning, no leak, when drive during the day or home afterwork, then it is dropping a few drops of oil. When i go for rides late night usually also no leakage. So its also when the climate is quite warmer i could say.

I am currently running Fuchs Silkolene Pro 4 10W40 oil.... That is what was suggested to me. How do you find that oil? For hot dry climate areas.

Last edited:
Did you replace the oil pan drain plug crush washer? They are listed as one time use, but you can get a few out of them. However if yours has been over torqued, and now not tighten to previous tq it will leak when oil is warm

Hi Tian , what do you mean bro about left side cover and sump wet ?

There is oil spills on the stator cover and that cover that comes over the sprocket and the sump plug is also wet... I am not sure but someone mentioned the smaller cover is the clutch cover?

Did you replace the oil pan drain plug crush washer? They are listed as one time use, but you can get a few out of them. However if yours has been over torqued, and now not tighten to previous tq it will leak when oil is warm

Yes.... I stripped the first one accidently about a year ago. So had the sump rewired also. With each oil change i replace that with a copper washer?

I just checked again, the oil spills have an appearance of engin oil mixed with chainlube...

Last edited:
There is oil spills on the stator cover and that cover that comes over the sprocket and the sump plug is also wet... I am not sure but someone mentioned the smaller cover is the clutch cover?

As in, the leak is above the stator cover??
If so, all there is above it is the cylinder block, head, and valve cover with several places oil could come from on each.
Do you have any pictures?

Clutch is on the opposite side from the stator and sprocket.

As in, the leak is above the stator cover??
If so, all there is above it is the cylinder block, head, and valve cover with several places oil could come from on each.
Do you have any pictures?

It is wet in that areas abover the cover yes. But not soaking wet. How can put this, if you wet a cloth under a tap, dry it out a little and then wipe of a counter, hope this make sense-if it does, that is how that cover feels also the inside of the fairings. its not just one spot, its basicly spread over the complete lefthand side of the engin but at the lower parts. Lol its quite difficult to explain especially me not knowing the proper names of everything and translating it too in english LOL!

I will quickly go try for some pictures with the fairings on (At work and no tools here-working late again today :()

20180227_163438.jpg
20180227_163651.jpg
20180227_163431.jpg
20180227_163408.jpg
20180227_163359.jpg

First image you can see the amount it leaks... And 4 leak spills around it....
2nd image around sump, but where sump plug thread goes in it appears to be dry.
3rd image gear shifter part
4th image a little part of the inner left hand fairing being dirty too
last image with finger pointing, now that little space just below the screw is completely dry and no signs of leakage,
but i do get the feeling that screw might be the guilty one? Is it possible?

Yes, but what about that part where the gear shifter pin inserts close to the sprocket, is there not parts of the clutch as well? Except for where the hose with brakefluid is going?

Clutch slave cylinder is in front of sprocket, in the cover. It's pushrod goes through the engine cases to engage/disengage the clutch.
It does have seal around where the pushrod goes in, as well as another seal around the shifter shaft.
I can't tell where it's leaking from the pictures, as the wind from riding has blown the oil.

Yes, that is my problem too.... The wind blowing it around. And if I clean and dry engin and let it stand and idle until fan comes on, it does not leak. even if i go for a ride like i said earlier without the fairings, its been 2-3 days with no leak. Then i fit the fairings again and a couple of days later it will start spilling again.
It does not make sense to me and its frustrating the hell out of me for not being able to get the cause.

The bike mechanics here in Namibia are useless. And the one i used to go to rellocated. So its been like from late last year that i first started to work my own bike and my knowledge is not that good. :banghead:

The clutch seal i replaced already but the one with the brakefluid in.
Maybe i must just purchase and replace all the seals then?

Hmmm... tricky one alright.
Leave lower fairings off for a while and clean the engine with brake kleen thoroughly. Ride during the day and regular checks on the engine to see the source of the leak.
Replace stator cover gasket and clutch pushrod seal and output shaft (countershaft) seal.
Secure all bolts with torque wrench to spec.
That is what I would do first.

The oil drops is below the sump plug area and sometimes more to the kickstand area.
What could cause this or what seal may cause only temporary leaking?
Sounds like it is leaking when you put the bike on the side stand. My 14 did that when the valve cover bolts loosened up and the gasket leaked (this was a fairly common issue with the Gen1 ZX-14). If this is the case with your busa, you will see oil seeping mostly from the front LH corner of the valve cover and some along the whole LH side of the valve cover. The oil will pool there when parked on the side stand. Much of the oil will run out under the front of the valve cover too but that usually burns away on the headers.

You'll have to pull the fairings off to inspect but if that's it, it will be obvious. Most of the oil film and dirt will be right at the seam of the valve cover on the front LH coner. Replace any kind of bolt head gasket or oring that seals each bolt and re-torque the valve cover bolts in the manual specified order. There is more I could tell you but it may be specific to the 14 and have nothing to do with the busa's valve cover. Let me know if you think this might be it and I can direct you to a tutorial. I slowed my 14's valve cover leak considerably but the only thing that stopped it was replacing the valve cover gasket and ring-os.

The only place my busa has leaked has been the O-rings in the oil cooler tubes which I stubornly chose to not replace after disconnecting the tubes. It was a very slow leak.

Good day,

So from November i noticed a oil leak. Its not leaking always and 5 or 6 drops then it stops.
So when we fitted the new fairing we cleaned everything and had it idled to hot temperature, but nothing. About a week later it started again.

I fitted a new chain and sprockets about a month or so ago, also had the complete engin clean and went for a hard ride naked...

hmmm maybe the leak wasn't from the bike. Have you been "looking for love in all the wrong places"...:lol:

Back