Mpg?

thedudeabides

Registered
I recently bought a 2005 Hayabusa, which came with Yoshi pipes and a power commander 3 installed. The
odo read 8400 miles, so it seemed like a good deal at the time. I still think its a good deal, but I get around 180 miles to a full tank combined highway and city driving. Is this normal? I can't find anything close to a solid answer from anything with Suzuki's name on it, and I get the impression from some people I should be getting closer to 220 miles to tank.

I've had the plugs replaced, oil changed, new tires, K&N air filter and throttle tuned to idle at about 1100 RPM and I spend most of my riding time cruising a little under 90 MPH on the freeway, so does this sound like its getting bad mileage?
My only fear is that the power commander may not be mapped right, I've never dealt with one before (power commander or Busa) so I really don't know what the norm would be.

Any info would be helpful.

About normal but if I was worried about mileage I would have bought a scooter.

:welcome:

Posted at 150 mph via Tapatalk

My bike is stock and I am getting 195 miles when the fuel light comes on. I put in 4.3 gallons of fuel. Mine is a 2011 White Hayabusa she only has a little over 920 miles and mileage seems to be getting better. I had a 2003 Harley V-Rod with pipes, power commander with the map for it and the fuel mileage was worst than stock. Tuned the map and fuel mileage came back to what I was getting completely stock. I would look at the map and get it tuned.

Mileage doesn't bother me, I was only worried it might be a symptom of something wrong with the bike. I bought the bike used and I am still on the fence whether I'll ever do that again.

Does the bike have a tre or any other mods on it?
If you are unsure about the map you can download one from the website. You can save the current map in your pc or laptop and try one you get from them. See if it improves mpgs. If not or worse than you can reinstall the original map.

Sounds pretty normal for fuel mileage. There are several here that get much worse. If you relax the right wrist a little and you might get better mileage but not by much.

There is always a gearing change but it will change the way it feels down low.

My uncle always told me the larger displacement bikes are a little more thirsty. Your feeding 170 some horses, and they are hungery.

tapatalk - on my HTC ERIS rooted with cyanogen mod 7

Mileage doesn't bother me, I was only worried it might be a symptom of something wrong with the bike. I bought the bike used and I am still on the fence whether I'll ever do that again.

I didn't mean that the way it came across. I meant that I don't keep up with it. The very few times I checked was high 40s avg.

Posted at 150 mph via Tapatalk

Low fuel light comes on around 170 +/- miles for my old 08 and current 09. With the reserve on tap, you can stretch a tank to over 200 miles. BTW, CA-spec bike have a smaller tank vs. 49-state models.
P.S. I have never owned a brand new bike since I started riding 20+ years ago so I personally do not have any issues buying a previously owned bike provided that I have done my homework/research/inspection BEFORE i buy it.

Your really gonna get your feelings hurt if it doesn't have some type of a speedo healer on it, because your mpg will go down even more when the speedo is corrected with one. Just saying:whistle:

Well...I'll have a little more homework to do on this bike. I never expected it to get the same mpg as my v-strom, but the way my busa eats gas shocked me.
No hurt feelings, I'd just to be able to zap on over to Vegas sometime and not have to bite my nails praying I make it to the next gas station.
And there's nothing wrong with owning a used bike really, I just like to know that I'm the one who dropped it in the drive way...

I get around 38 mpg on my 05.Was getting better until I had it mapped but he added more fuel and if you are going 90 down the hwy, that is somewhat the issue.These things tend to drink heavily after 75 mph.

07 Kabusa I get 195 to a tank city/highway, I get 220 a tank on highway.. stock bike other then slipons and small air box mod.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

My 06 gets 31 mixed 39 highway.

I wish I could get 45 or better. But it seems like I'm chasing a dream.

Sent from my super-duper wack tmobile device using tapatalk.

you could just disconnect the power commander for a while and see if it improves

check for a tre as that will up fuel used

check you have standard gearing 17-42 for the 99-07

and how do you get the bike to 90 ? nice and steady or like me 8-9k rpm through 2-3 gears lol

i get around 140-160 before the light comes on and mines standard on the engine and exhaust side .

if you want to feel really sorry for yourself get a rc51 or a A1 zx12 as them are greedy bikes :laugh: the busa is very good i think in real terms

I also have a 2005. I have a full akr 4-2-1 exhaust, and a power commander3.

I typically get 33 mpg (See my fuelly link in sig), thats with 50/50 riding, and a lot of frequent throttle snaps.

If I am doing moderate speeds on the highway, I can easily get 45 mpg. Any rapid throttle action quickly kills fuel economy.

Back