Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

ridercoach

Post ***** King & Local Safety Guru
Donating Member
Registered
You all requested it so here it is. Group Riding. As riding season approaches there will be group rides, its best that we become familiar with the basic rules.

First thing is first, there must be a leader and a tail rider. The best leader is one that is familiar with the roads traveled and the basic rules of group riding. The tail should also be aware of the route and basic group riding skills. The middle can be mixed with various skill levels. Keeping the less experienced to the rear of the group.

Group sizes vary, in this discussion most of these techniques that I will discuss will work with any size group.

Before any group ride there should be a group meet up. At the meet up there should be a discussion of the daily events, Route taken, and most importantly group riding rules. Each group that I have ridden with has there own technique, but most follow the same principals. If you are in a new group ride with riders that regularly ride together get to know there signals and riding style. Do not ride with them if you feel uncomfortable.

I will discuss what I use when I organize a group ride. Normally my rides consist of 15+ bikes. These techniques have worked for me and may work for you.

Get to know your state laws, make sure everyone is in compliance; there is nothing worse then getting the whole group pulled over because there is a squid amongst you. If someone refuses to abide then show them the way and let them leave without you. This goes for speed limits also.

Familiarize everyone with hand signals and other signals.

In most states riding side by side (two abreast) is legal. But more than that is not. When the lead rider recognizes a possibly dangerous area he/she will hold up one finger to signify one bike staggered position. (That is bikes lined up staggered, keeping at least a 2 second following distance from the bike in front looks something like this “- _ - _ - _ - _ -“) When the lead bike notices a spot that is safe he may hold up two fingers for side by side riding. Only ride side by side with someone with experience, if you do not feel comfortable do not do it.

Changing lanes, when it comes to changing lanes it is a group effort. If done properly the lane change can be a beautiful easy thing. The lead bike turns his signal on but does not change lane, the bikes behind all turn there signals on. The tail bike will turn his signal on, check for traffic then change lanes. Once the tail bike is over and blocking all traffic from the rear then starting from the rear the bikes fill in until the lead bike gets over. If done right it will look like a snake moving, nice and smooth. Just because the tail bike is holding traffic for the lane change does not dismiss anyone from checking there blind spot and making sure there is no traffic in there area.

Stopping at lights is simple, just come to a stop side by side. We have a basic rule of thumb when it comes to taking off. The bike on the right is first. So when the light turns green the bike on the right will take off then the bike on the left will go, then the next row goes, again with the bike on the right taking off first. I have seen when there is not a set rule for take off, it is not pretty and can cause disorganization.

If a group gets split up due to getting caught at a light or something. I have seen different things happen in this situation. One way of handling it is for the rear bike that was not cut off beeps the horn to notify the rest of the group of the break off and then the lead spots a turn lane or gas station where they can sit and wait. When the cut off group starts arriving they slow and allow the other group to pull out so they can resume. I have also seen groups that break up keep going, one of the reasons that everyone should be somewhat aware of the route and also why the tail should be completely aware of the route. The tail will become lead of the second group and continue to destination.

If someone breaks down or wrecks, again should be discussed before the ride, there are a few ways of handling this. If someone breaks down the rule is for at least one other bike stay with the broken down rider. I have seen whole groups stop when this happens, but all depends on the size of the group and the situation. Now if someone wrecks, there may be mayhem. Have is discussed before to see if anyone in the group is capable of any medical service like emt, paramedic, i.e.… It should never be a full on rush to the rider from everyone. Have everyone pull over and only the witness (if any) to the accident and one or two others that have some medical sense stay with the rider (the witness to inform the medics of what happened). Remember to many people around can cause mayhem and in this kind of condition it is best for just a few people around to keep the individual calm and stable until paramedics arrive. Have one person set to keep the others away, but like I said, this should be discussed before hand. Important to remember, do not remove the riders helmet or move them from the location unless there is more harm in staying there then leaving (like a fire break out)

Arriving at the destination.

Dismount and have fun, but before you do that you need to park. Try to find adjacent parking spots, 4 to a spot. Remember if it is meter parking it is one bike per spot. You can get towed if two or more bikes are in one meter spot.

The key to group riding is to get everyone on the same page. If your group has been riding for years together and you take on a new rider, take the time out and inform them of the rules. I am a mature group rider (no stunting or crazy riding when in a group). This rule is brought up many times during our pre ride discussion. If someone in our group breaks off and does wheelies or feels the need to ride at top speed, they will not be allowed to ride with us. I have seen when wheelies go bad. If im responsible for my group rides I want everyone to make it there in one piece.

If I am joining a group that I have never ridden with before, I will take the time out to learn the rules of the ride. If there are none then I have every right to ride by myself, which I much rather do at times than ride in some of these groups that I have seen.

Remember when it is organized, it makes for a safer and sometimes more fun ride. It doesn’t have to be a well oiled machine, but it should work together.

As always, please put in your group riding experiances or tips.

Thanks,

Dave (Coach)

It is also very important to keep up with the group.  A rider who falls too far back, thus creating an unessesary break in the group endangers the entire group.  I have seen too many times when the group is riding safely and there are one or two who refuse to keep-up with the pack.  This allows cars into the ranks and disjoins the group.  Don't be that guy!  It is called a GROUP ride for a reason.  If you do not want to ride with the group... don't.
But do not say you are going to be a part of the group ride then flake out and disrupt the entegrity of the group.

Just yesterday I was running the tail of a 45 bike ride and we had two that would not keep up.
We were going 60mph on the interstate.
THere was no visible reason these two could not go 60mph on the interstate.
They kept allowing large gaps (several hundred feet) between them and the pack.
Then the cars, pick-ups and semi-trucks would break our ranks.

At one point they allowed so many cars in the between us we totally lost site of the leader and the tail group overshot the exit.

Please... Don't be that guy.

Great point Cecil, thanks for adding that..
biggrin.gif

I dont have a group around here to do a group ride, but definetly some good info to keep in mind... just in case
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
Cant wait to join up dude... Thinking of going to goa, next month with a couple of friends... you guys want to ride along
rock.gif

I hope you have some saddle bags for your busa
wink.gif

A long time ago an old guy who had ridden all of his life told me never ride with more than 4 or 5 bikes, the fewer the better. First hand expierence has proven that to be true.
Some of my friends with Harleys always go on poker runs, I went with them on a couple, nothing like a couple hundred drunken riders with marginal expierence anyway bunched together. They take all day and ride 100 miles, never again.
My other example is we went on a trip one time with 8 bikes, we always were waiting on someone who didn't make it through a light, or had to stop for whatever reason, it takes a good time and makes it a pain.
We have about 3-4 people that match up pretty good with riding skills and bikes that works the best for me.

What RC says "Do not ride with them if you feel uncomfortable."
This is so true, I went out with a group of guys that I never road with before, they road fast and I mean fast, and they passed cars every where and it just was not a comfortable day. I ended up at the back of the pack, end up with a speeding ticket, and at the end of the day getting rained on to make it complete. Know how the group rides is very important. These guys thought they where out racing, but just doing it on the streets instead of the track.

As a bit of a group ride junkie. At worse their just try to keep up with the fastest rider, find and seek
biggrin.gif
At best with formal group structure. Some with a conservative style, others decidedly squidly. From each one's perspective what is acceptable is relative.
One thing they all have in common. There's some incredable safety lapses done by riders in group rides. Forgetting anything they know from solo rides. Like pulling out in front of a speeding canary yellow white freightliner SemiTruck. Just cause front riders are moving.
Group rides like anything else is an aquired skill. One gets better at it with experience.

As a bit of a group ride junkie. At worse their just try to keep up with the fastest rider, find and seek
biggrin.gif
At best with formal group structure. Some with a conservative style, others decidedly squidly. From each one's perspective what is acceptable is relative.
One thing they all have in common. There's some incredable safety lapses done by riders in group rides. Forgetting anything they know from solo rides. Like  pulling out in front of a speeding canary yellow white freightliner SemiTruck. Just cause front riders are moving.
Group rides like anything else is an aquired skill. One gets better at it with experience.
Well made point. Thanks for the input..

Coach Dave,
Thanks for the post. I don't do group rides very often, so they can be a little uncomfortable without a thourough talk through.

I ride with a few others, and the rules we have is :
Blue flashing lights ahead = slow down to near stop and then open it up and go for it.

Blue flashing lights behind = last rider overtakes the others and we follow at the higher speed.

We do NOT stop along the route in view,we park where we cannot be seen.(in case of been reported for speeding)

Lead rider uses his mirrors to keep last rider in his view.

Lead rider hand signals any debris or potholes on the road.

No overtaking each other (only exception is when blue flashing lights appear in rear) and then the last rider will only overtake everyone at speed and we follow.

Don't fixate on the rider or riders in front of you. A lot can happen in the split second time difference between when that guy passes a point on the road and when you pass it.

All the safety rules of solo riding apply in addition to Coach's rules above. Don't let 'em fly out the window 'cause you STILL have to watch your own a$$. It isn't the responsibility of anyone else in the group to babysit you.

--Wag--

In the twisties, go the speed limit between the curves (on the straights), this lets the slower rides catch up with the group, then they can actually participate...It is a group ride..

Also stay in the riders in front of you`s mirrors..

Back