Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

Yeah, I miss having him around...didn't he buy a Porche and that was the end of posting here?
biggrin.gif

Yeah yeah, I bought a porsche and im back. Never really went away just got caught up with work and teaching the MSF course. And of course riding.
biggrin.gif

(PUNN1025 @ Aug. 28 2006,15:15) Hey coach!!!!
Any tips on how to conduct a proper burnout!!!!!
my tires are new and i want to smeeeeelllll the rubber!!!
Where did this dumbass find this two-year-old post?
rock.gif

post_34_53732_troll_dontfeeddd.jpg

GREAT Thread!!! Busa family I just left a Strategic Riders Course @Pope AFB NC! It was taught by two local state troopers (motorcyclist)! It was an eye opener! I reccomend it. Be safe and God Bless!!! Oooo' I'm a MSF advocate!!!

(Revlis @ May 13 2004,11:44) Thanks Coach...  Good stuff...

One point you addressed is looking far enough ahead...  This is something that has proved it's worth hundreds of times...  It is also something we can practice while driving the cage.  Instead of fiddling with the radio, put yourself mentally on your bike and practice your visual skills, you cannot avoid something if you cannot see it or see it too late.

Thanks again Coach...
biggrin.gif
+1, Thanks

One scaning technique I learned from riding at night for long is:
In construction zones, look ahead for a gap in the line of cones along the side of the road. If you see a gap in the cones, Look for a Cone in your lane! Some driver may have hit it and knocked it into your lane and it may be laying down with the bottom facing you. The bottom of the cone is black and you can't see the reflective tape.

too bad this thread stayed dormant for almost a year. good reminder to look for gaps in the cones, don't know how many close calls I've had for that very same scenario.

looks like at least 3 are interested in this... any one with experience and dedication willing to resurrect this thread? in light of a trend of accidents, this topic on a weekly basis under the original guidelines to keep to the topic true and to the point might be a good thing for us all.

Hello:

Just wanted to comment on the fine safety tips that I've read. I've been riding since 1958 and have been a pilot since 1961. I mention this because they seem to go hand in hand as far as safety is concerned. In flying you need to be at least 200% (minimum) attentive to everything going on around and underneath as well as above you. You need to always be thinking ahead far enough to give yourself a way out of any situation or at least a better than 50% chance of getting away uninjured. Even at my age, when people see me ride, I look like an 18 year old bird with my body leaned forward and deep into turns and my head and eyes constantly darting at 2 second intervals, taking in every bit of information I can to insure my own safety and that of my wife. The few newer riders that I let ride with me comment that they never see my brake light on in curves and rarely at anytime on a ride until I come to some kind of stop. If you want to be a safe rider, new pilots need to know when that light should be lit and when it shouldn't, as well as how to do it properly. These machines are deadly in the hands of novices but are things of beauty in the hands of the well trained. I constantly see no helmets, short pants, shower clogs, sleeveless shirts, temporary tags on spanking new bikes everyday. Within a few minutes of watching them ride, I estimate how long they will last because of their lack of knowledge and severe lack of experience.

Over the years, I've only had a few people that I will ride with. Many of the young people I am associated with would like to ride with me but I don't bite. Usually what I end up doing is quizing them on their experience so that I know what to expect from them if I do consent to them riging with me.

I've found that most of the young riders who swing their legs into the saddle of sport bikes have very little knowledge of the physics and dynamics of the machine they just purchased or the proper cognative/emotional/visual perspective with that particular machine. The majority have no knowledge of the components of tight curves (what's a tangent, what's an apex, what's a line or line of site, etc.), their braking gearing, speed, traction and torque (to name a few). This goes for the big cruiser community as well which can be even worse for them because of the greater weight and critical inertia as well as a lack of performance.

I always like to read about safety and have followed up on other sites over the years along with magazines etc. It was a pleasure to read the safety tips in this forum.
Even with all the years I've been piloting (that's what a motorcyclist is actually doing on a bike, especially a sport bike)I've thought of going and taking a riding course just to catch up on any new innovations in safety. I've tried over the years to drum into the heads of young friends about speed, proper braking (ah, the rear tire brake function-when to and when not to), torque, driving separation and timing etc., etc., everything you've been posting.......it's right on the money.

The application of these very principles have been the reason I've been able to continue riding for so many years (I've lost count of the unexpected situations that always come up on just about every ride and have always been thankful that these principles have kept me alive). I know that there are a lot of young maverick pilots out there that have the youth, strength and enthusiasm to be talented and safe riders. Airplane pilots that stay alive always train properly to keep the airplane in the sky when they're flying it, to keep from hitting the ground below because of unforseen occurance. It's no different with the cyclist. I heartily encourage them all to absorb all that the keepers of his sight are teaching.

I know that they are seasoned in this sport. How, well, there are few people out there whom I have ever read who understood and translate such information as the subject of braking on a sport bike as well as is presented here (with the exception of pro racers, the principles are the same but at light speed for them).

ANyway, this is a great site.

Take Care and safe riding.

windglider

Back