Mileage Report

Hey Scar, are those Michelin Pilot road 2s?  If so just wondering what kinda mileage you are getting out of the front/rear?   and
beerchug.gif
for all the miles, I adv. 10 to 11 K a year.  
smile.gif
They are indeed, the Road2's (good eye).  They're my first set; I've been running 2CTs and enjoying them all along.

To date, the Road2's have given me nearly 4k miles and are wearing strong.  I'm impressed with them, though the front seems to require a little more attention with the pressure gauge than I remember ever having to exercise before.

I can whole-heartedly recommend these tires for anyone who spends more time in the canyons than on the freeway, but who also rides the beast to work.  Very user-friendly.

bowdown.gif

Saturday__14JUN08.jpg

Hey Scar............I no longer have a busa (that might change when the 09s come out), but Lake Tahoe is just a 15 minute drive from my doorstep. First snow could be as early as mid october, but usually doesn't start to stick until early November but by then it's too cold to ride.
You kids look me up if you ever get up this way! I'll take you on more than one breath taking scenic and canyon carving adventure! Monitor Pass, Ebbetts Pass, Sonora Pass, to name a few. You'll never even get out of third gear on Ebbetts, what a blast! I belong to a local sportbike club and we rip it up every Sunday somewhere within the majestic Sierras and around the Tahoe Basin.
smile.gif

Hey Scar............I no longer have a busa (that might change when the 09s come out), but Lake Tahoe is just a 15 minute drive from my doorstep. First snow could be as early as mid october, but usually doesn't start to stick until early November but by then it's too cold to ride.
You kids look me up if you ever get up this way! I'll take you on more than one breath taking scenic and canyon carving adventure! Monitor Pass, Ebbetts Pass, Sonora Pass, to name a few. You'll never even get out of third gear on Ebbetts, what a blast! I belong to a local sportbike club and we rip it up every Sunday somewhere within the majestic Sierras and around the Tahoe Basin.
smile.gif
I'm sitting here at my desk, at work, a little envious of your roads...you describe them with such passion. And, I have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to be envious. We're equally blessed here in SoCal.

I'll take you up on your offer, however. We can leave the 'scenic' part to the video camera but I'll take the 'carving' part in huge doses. "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

So, if not a 'busa...what do you ride? Do you have any pix to share (especially the routes you described)? And why would you find yourself without?

Hey Scar!
OK, first off, I ain't doing without! My current ride is the mighty GSXR1000 K7.

MONITOR PASS
One of the club members sometimes rides his BMW R1200RT and was doing so when he took this video at the summit. Everything is all greened out now, was still snow on the ground back when this was taken in May. The very first part of the video is what we refer to as the saddle back, I've reached speeds in excess of 150 there. NOTE the absence of traffic.

EBBETTS PASS
Don't know these slow pokes, but you can get an idea of how it is to ride Ebbetts, 35 miles of non stop twisties. Our club pace is about twice that what you're seeing in the video.

SONORA PASS
Again, I do not know who these "snails"￾ are, but you can get the drift of the route"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦very minimal traffic!

Come on up kids! You set dial, fast, moderate or taking in the scenery pace"¦"¦"¦"¦..I'll adjust to what ever you guys choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great route is down by Placerville, Wentworth Springs Road. It's quite popular with the weekend Sacramento crowd. Unfortunately, an average of 9 sport bike riders lose their lives on this one, guys that tend to get caught up in the moment and get in over their heads. Anyway, heres a pic of a few of us taking a break on that ride. Hehe....I'm the old gray haired f##t leaning over my orange gixxer. I'm the oldest rider in our group but usually end up with the top 3 or 4 pavement shredders at the front! At 64 I should know better, huh! Ain't no way!!
laugh.gif

Ride safe.........BUT ride fast!!

pic2__Large_.jpg

OK; excellent work, bean.

I'll reply to a number of your other points in due course, but I should have been more specific when I asked...

'why do you find yourself without?'...

I should have tacked '...a busa'

onto the end of that question.

I'm going to go watch the videos and get backatcha shortly...

beerchug.gif

PS:  Gr8 lookin' bunch you got there...

Just finished Monitor Pass. OMG, I am so there...

For anyone and everyone reading this thread...do yourself a favor and watch these videos.

Next up...Ebbett's Pass...

Be right back.

lurk.gif

OK; I just watched to two remaining videos you linked previous.

Dayum. DAYUM!

Where do you live that we might meet up for a summer simmer or shred?

Well I looked at Monitor Pass from the satellite. I don't know what the speed limit on the road is, but it looks like lots of high-speed sweepers...which I think is as much fun as you should be allowed to have as a human being.

Seriously? We need to set up a Busa Stampede (run to Tahoe).

I'll spearhead the effort on this end, brother, if you'll do likewise on yours.

What say you?

Oh BTW........back to this topic, even though I don't currently own a busa. I have had the gixxer a year now and just turned over 10,000 miles. You and John (greyrocket) got me beat, big time..........unreal!
If you had your valve clearance checked at 14500 miles, did they need adjustment? I'm guessing no.  
The reason I went to the gixxer from the 05 busa is because of the weak brakes. 80% of my riding is in the twisties and on more than one occasion I almost lost the ole girl, get too hot going into a curve and wow, talk about bulging eyes and puckering up! All this was on account of trying to keep pace with one of the best riders I know (Pacemaster on this site). Now, no problem, index finger resting on the front brake is all it takes for any speed scrubing duty and I can now keep that crazy old dude within eyesight. Your Gen II busa has addressed the brake issue, a real good thing!
Hehe.........I could go on and on Scar, but I don't want you to stroke out on me, BUT, have you heard of the 'truck route' up Virginia City way? All I have to say is...........mini Deals Gap and then some! Yawn......videos of the Gap are BORING and way too much traffic for my liking! Do you have access to one of those motorcycle handbooks ( I don't but a friend does) that list all the great motorcyle rides? Yup....Monitor Pass gets the number ONE pick in that inch thick book.

super.gif
PM -->
Scar @ Jul. 07 2008 said:
1470330[/ATTACH] PM]
Hey Scar, are those Michelin Pilot road 2s?  If so just wondering what kinda mileage you are getting out of the front/rear?   and
beerchug.gif
for all the miles, I adv. 10 to 11 K a year.  
smile.gif
They are indeed, the Road2's (good eye).  They're my first set; I've been running 2CTs and enjoying them all along.

To date, the Road2's have given me nearly 4k miles and are wearing strong.  I'm impressed with them, though the front seems to require a little more attention with the pressure gauge than I remember ever having to exercise before.

I can whole-heartedly recommend these tires for anyone who spends more time in the canyons than on the freeway, but who also rides the beast to work.  Very user-friendly.

bowdown.gif
So, it turns out I was way off with my mileage estimation on the Road2's...I have nearly 7400 miles on those shoes...they're at the wear-bar.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=6;t=99506;hl=

Check it...
I launched a thread about it...

super.gif

hey scar that sick  allmost have 3k on mine  
beerchug.gif
Purchased in Nov right as the snow started... couldn't even seriously ride it until April.

I am right at 20,000 miles on my K8..... and have gone through five rear tires.....  
cool.gif
Hey Warchild ! REALLY 20 K
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
??? I find that hard to believe ! You got yours in NOV , but didn't start riding it until APR.... Let's do some math here :20.000 miles divided by 90 days ( APR , MAY , JUN,) = 222 miles a day ( every day ). So you are rich and don't have to work. You are retired and got nothing else to do. Or...... your job is 100 miles away from where you live.?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

Proof of that milage ( odometer picture ) by any chance ? Because that kind of milage deserves MEGA RESPECT !
I want to be the first one to congratulate you on that kind of road pounding. I myself have been thinking about joining the 300.000 mile club ( BMW ) but don't like to brag about it . But you....You must be right up there with me, maybe even more. So let a brother know what's up. I know we are a rare breed.

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

If you had your valve clearance checked at 14500 miles, did they need adjustment? I'm guessing no.  

Do you have access to one of those motorcycle handbooks ( I don't but a friend does) that list all the great motorcyle rides? Yup....Monitor Pass gets the number ONE pick in that inch thick book.

Sorry for the omission, brother, but in answer to your question, no adjustment required.

This is the 4th 'busa I've taken through that service; none of them have required adjustment at the first major service.

hello.gif

I'm going to get that book you refer to.  Can you find out the name of it for me?

Also, how far do you live from Monitor Pass?  I love that road, already...

Thanks; yes, thanks very much.

Hey Warchild ! REALLY 20 K
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
??? I find that hard to believe ! You got yours in NOV , but didn't start riding it until APR.... Let's do some math here :20.000 miles divided by 90 days ( APR , MAY , JUN,) = 222 miles a day ( every day ). So you are rich and don't have to work.
Heh... I wish!  Nope, I have two jobs to support eight children and stay-at-home wife (who works her ass off raising 8 children!)

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
You are retired and got nothing else to do. Or...... your job is 100 miles away from where you live.?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
[/quote]

That would be nice, but sadly, round trip commute is nothing... maybe 15 miles, tops.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Proof of that milage ( odometer picture ) by any chance ? Because that kind of milage deserves  MEGA RESPECT ![/quote]

As it happens, I am departing at noon today for a little 2500-mile jaunt this weekend to see some buds down in Nevada, then southern California. I'll try to snap off a photo before I depart. IIRC, the last time I looked, I was 19,200 or 19,300... something like that.

But you....You must be right up there with me, maybe even more. So let a brother know what's up. I know we are a rare breed.[/quote]

Have you ever heard of the Iron Butt Association? Check out the third guy down this page: Iron Butt Association - Staff Roster
cool.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Sorry for the omission, brother, but in answer to your question, no adjustment required.

This is the 4th 'busa I've taken through that service; none of them have required adjustment at the first major service.
This is 50% of the reason why I am holding off doing my 14K Valve Clearance check until the snow flies here. Most valve trains that have the modern shim-under-bucket arrangement rarely need an adjustment at the first check... or even the second. The Blackbird's shim-under-bucket valve train is a perfect example.... got over 175,000 miles on two XX's, neither has required a single valve adjustment. Ever.

The remaining 50% of the reason I am holding off doing this clearance check is strictly time availability. I am not willing to have the K8 laid up long enough to me to do this job with the methodical, rigorous attention-to-detail approach that this procedure demands.

I'll probably do the valves in late October, thereabouts.

I'm going to get that book you refer to.  Can you find out the name of it for me?

Hey Scar-
The Monitor Pass turn off is approx 40 miles southwest of Carson City. Ebbetts Pass fun starts only a few miles farther south of Monitor.
I just emailed my buddy about that motorcycle road guide handbook and will pass along the info to you as soon as I get a response.

Jim

As it happens, I am departing at noon today for a little 2500-mile jaunt this weekend to see some buds down in Nevada, then southern California. I'll try to snap off a photo before I depart. IIRC, the last time I looked, I was 19,200 or 19,300... something like that.
Just curious............what route through Nevada are you taking?

Just curious............what route through Nevada are you taking?
It'd be v/c if you two could hook up for a run.

Warchild...how far into SoCal are you coming? I could easily put together a m/g for you.

In fact, Spudley arrived 'in town' last night from Vegas; we're going to g/t with him, then later in the month, a few peeps probably lead by Paderolis, (also from Vegas) are coming en masse to San Diego.

Should be a great opportunity for some pix to put up on the board.

Also, I'm still waiting to hear a reply to a PM I sent you a couple of weeks ago regarding your clutch fluid. Did you get that or ?

Look forward to hearing from you on all points.

Hey Scar-
The Monitor Pass turn off is approx 40 miles southwest of Carson City. Ebbetts Pass fun starts only a few miles farther south of Monitor.
I just emailed my buddy about that motorcycle road guide handbook and will pass along the info to you as soon as I get a response.

Jim
Jim:

Thanks very much...look forward to hearing from you on that, as well.

hello.gif
Much obliged, brother.

Back