Horrible gas mileage?

rdx4me

Registered
Hey everyone!

My sons Busa is getting horrible gas mileage. He's telling me that it's worse than my 96 Jeep.

My 124" Harley isn't even close to being that bad...

I'm thinking perhaps the previous owner had the PC III USB adjusted for max fuel or something for the Salt Flat runs and was considering of downloading a map from PC for a stock bike.

From what I know of the bike, the only engine mods are PAIR Valve block-off's, baffles drilled out, new velocity stacks in the air box and a BMC filter.

Any guidance?

Last edited:
awww what is "bad" ? 10? 20?

how does the bike run?
does it blow smoke?

check the vacuum lines make sure they are connected (MAP sensor in particular)
unplug the PC3 and run the thing..

What type of numbers are we actually talking about here? Does the bike have the stock exhaust also? If it has an aftermarket exhaust you should probably download a map for the exhaust instead of just a stock one. You could remove the PC3 for testing purposes also.

With the mods listed, is a pc even needed? If it is needed, I suggest(as already mentioned) downloading a map for the specific items installed.

Anyway, I cringe when I see lousy mpg numbers for a Busa. My bike motor is stock and I rode to Sebring on Saturday for the Heartland Bikefest and got 47.x mpg, indicated. I rode with a group of mixed bikes in the Southern Cruisers Riding Club and did not hammer the throttle. So the capability is there.....

You want to make sure there are no codes or mods to the ECU. These are, "fail-safe" signals that run rich.

PC's are usually set to rich/power or rich/smooth. He or his g/f like porkers? Fatass flatulence Pee See that mileage drop double up?

Brakes dragging? :moon: ASSMap in play?

Hey everyone!

My sons Busa is getting horrible gas mileage. He's telling me that it's worse than my 96 Jeep.

My 124" Harley isn't even close to being that bad...

I'm thinking perhaps the previous owner had the PC III USB adjusted for max fuel or something for the Salt Flat runs and was considering of downloading a map from PC for a stock bike.

From what I know of the bike, the only engine mods are PAIR Valve block-off's, baffles drilled out, new velocity stacks in the air box and a BMC filter.

Any guidance?

well?...for most busa it goes like this...

stock: 42-44 mpg hwy

aftermarket exhaust, bmc af and a properly tuned pc3usb: 28-32 mpg

drop in some cams...short stack the airbox and retune the pc accordingly?...and there's truely no limit to "how low you can go" when it comes to busa mpg with ever increasing engine mods..and btw..you got me chucklin here comparing hd fuel consumption to that of a highly modded huge bore sportbike...no comparo per state of tune...11Krpms eats it up way faster than 5Krpms...and in a far more efficient mannor..btw...mpg will drop signifigantly pending if ya ride it like ya stole it and sumpt'in tells me your son ain't slow..has he been hitt'in ya up for excessive ga$ ? LOL!

L8R, Bill :cool:

Throttle bodies out of sync will give bad mileage.
You could try to sync them after checking the above.

Back