DON\'T TRUST FUEL MILEAGE

AQUADIOSMED

Registered
EVERY TIME I GET GAS MY FUEL MILEAGE INDICATES GREATER DISTANCE THAN MY CALCULATOR.

Yesterday, I went for a 242.2 mile ride.

Fuel mileage indicator read 44.7 miles per gallon. I figured 5.8 gallons should get me 259.2 miles.

When I pulled iinto the garage I figured there was 2 tenths or more of gas.

I popped off the gas cap and shook the bike as hard as I could ... no sloshing sounds at all????

As a precaution I took a small can of gas and went to the station ... it took....

6.01 gallons!!!!

It is a 5.8 gallon tank!!!

My calculator says the gas mileage was actually

40.6 mpg

and not 44.7 as the Suzuki Fuel Mileage read-out stated!!!

DO NOT BELIEVE IN YOUR SUZUKI FUEL MILEAGE INDICATOR IT IS WRONG.

I did not run out of gas, but it must have had the last bit of fumes in the F-I unit!!!!

Happy Motoring!!

Do u have stock gearing?What altitude are you?Did you ge ripped off at the gas station?What condition are your spark plugs?All of these are conditions that will effect fuel mileage.

Yo Gixxr:

all stock, plugs have about 4,000 miles,
K & N prototype cleaned about 1,000 miles ago, at sea level, Malibu, Ca., I fill up to neck of tank each time, don't think the fuel measurement is off, but guess it could be, bike tuned only by Mike Belcher in Las Vegas, at that altitude!

have never had the "sink" done and never checked tps since delivery??

Ciao

Syncing the Throttle bodies could do it also.Also check your chain.I thought the Cali bikes had smaller fuel tanks.Is your bike running a little rich?I know you've done some dyno runs.Hehehe

Aqua man-
The mileage indicator may not be that far off. I believe it is limited, as when you first reset it to 00 it does not read correctly. Also, if you get on it real hard through the gears, it won't change, It needs to sample. Mine pegged at 50.0 in colorado,I checked twice and was at 52.0-but it was STEADY SPEED CRUISING.

Hey guys,
Fuel injected vehicles measure gas mileage by adding together all the little squirts of gas that go through the injectors. If the speedo is off, so is the odometer, but, the same wrong number will be used to calculate fuel mileage. So, the mileage times the number of gallons used will equal the trip odo reading even if the bike doesn't really know how fast it's going. Factor that out.
Also, if the bike is wasting gas -- running lean, at really high altitude, whatever. It still knows how much fuel was injected and how far the bike went. Count that stuff out too.

Here's were it gets wrong -- The ECU figures that for a given injector open duration, a given amount of fuel will go through it. The relationship isn't totally linear, so sometimes some error is intruduced here. You can't do anything about it. But, the biggest factor will be how clean the injectors are and fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure is high, you will use more fuel than the bike thinks you did, and you will run out before you expect to. If fuel pressure is low or injectors are clogged, the bike will read worse mileage than actual.

To make everything simple, just remember how far the tank will go based on experience, not what the little number says.

I don't use the trip meter on the bike, I use the odometer. I don't trust the mpg meter either. I use the trusty old calculator. Why does Susuki limit the mpg guage to 50 mpg Max?

Yo B-GEEK, NICK:

Yes, I think it is running a little rich at the bottom.

B-G, you have an interesting point!

I have believed there is a problem with fuel pump screen-filters.

Suzuki dealer made it out to be "a guy wanting something free", sort-a-like that
K & N guy, Dennis!

Before the Akrapovic exhaust and pc-2 I do not recall if the fuel mileage differed with the Suzuki Feul Mileage as much or not!

Maybe I'll take these posts to dealer and see if he'll honor "new fuel pump
screens-filters!

thanks for the input!

Nick,

I bought the bike in Oklohoma, just to eliminate all the California "crap".

Thus it is a 5.8 gallon tank that holds 6.01 gallons, but only if you are out of gas and still running.

Alan

The fuel mileage readings are a fantasy on the Busa if you compare the readings to what's really happening when you top off. Stock, mine was reading mid 45-48mpg. Not a chance in hell. Now, after adding 2 teeth in back and accurizing the speedometer with the yellow box it's reading more realistically...32mpg.

The last two days was fun....out on the local roadrace track for some tire shredding (and peg grind, fairing grind, case grinding) and the mileage indicator dropped to 18 mpg! It was sucking gas so fast it was scary! I went through 9 gallons of fuel in less than 170 miles of track time!

Jim

Back