Michelin Pilot Powers

sageronin

Donating Member
Registered
I just replaced my Diablo's with Pilot Power's today. I only got to ride from the shop to home, but it was enough to notice that this tire is much softer than the Pirelli. I'll be updating this post after putting some miles on them this weekend.

I just replaced my Diablo's with Pilot Power's today. I only got to ride from the shop to home, but it was enough to notice that this tire is much softer than the Pirelli. I'll be updating this post after putting some miles on them this weekend.
I look forward to hearing your impressions. I loved the Powers.
wink.gif

I can't wait to hear it either, but at the rate I ride there will probably be a whole new line of tires on the market. I could easily have lasted on my stockers for another year and a half or more, but changed 'em out because of the other stuff I'm having done.

I can't wait to hear it either, but at the rate I ride there will probably be a whole new line of tires on the market. I could easily have lasted on my stockers for another year and a half or more, but changed 'em out because of the other stuff I'm having done.
We're gonna work on that, though, when you get back home, bro. We're gonna chew some tires up at The Gap.
wink.gif

I'll definitely be ready. I didn't even get to do any burnouts with the stockers. That kind of bums me out!
blush.gif

I'll definitely be ready. I didn't even get to do any burnouts with the stockers. That kind of bums me out!
blush.gif
Yeah, I peeled the stock tires off and put the Powers on before I got to do the whole burnout thing, too. I done a little one when I first got 'er because I'd never done one on a bike, but no tire shreddin', gettin' a new hoop burnout.
drooling3.gif

Ahhhh, the early memories...
drooling3.gif
Ya know when I miss 'er the most?
rock.gif
When I dig through the old pics to bring back some of the oldies in threads like this...

Here are the pics from my first ever and ONLY busa (bike, for that matter) burnout. I've melted MANY hoops off of cages, but this is the only smoke show I've done on a bike.
wink.gif

Hmmm... Pre fender trim and stock can days... Doesn't even look like Train with that crap still on 'er...
biggrin.gif

35568145.jpg

Check out dem big ol' chicken strips!!!
eek2.gif
I've come a long way with my ridin' in the past 1 year +... It's been a blast learnin' to ride!!!
super.gif

35568146.jpg

35568147.jpg

And the memorial patch of rubber from the burnout. Still on my garage floor. Not quite as prominent, but it still makes me grin when I see it...

35568148.jpg

Thanks sageronin. THIS is the comparison I been waiting for. By softer you mean stickier or you mean better bump absorbsion? Remember, if you JUST replaced a pair of worn tires, ANTHING will feel smoother mounted up next
smile.gif

can anyone else imagin BT sittin in his garage drinkin a bottle of Jack Daniels listening to some country music just cryin his littl hear out

Thanks sageronin.  THIS is the comparison I been waiting for.  By softer you mean stickier or you mean better bump absorbsion?  Remember, if you JUST replaced a pair of worn tires, ANTHING will feel smoother mounted up next  
smile.gif
Softer as in stickier for sure ... but even the rubber feels softer to the touch ( no I'm not feeling up my new tires ) ... and true that about the smoother ride ... more to come this weekend or sooner if I can get off work early one day
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|sageronin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098847571 -->

smile.gif

Thanks sageronin. THIS is the comparison I been waiting for. By softer you mean stickier or you mean better bump absorbsion? Remember, if you JUST replaced a pair of worn tires, ANTHING will feel smoother mounted up next
smile.gif
Softer as in stickier for sure ... but even the rubber feels softer to the touch ( no I'm not feeling up my new tires ) ... and true that about the smoother ride ... more to come this weekend or sooner if I can get off work early one day
smile.gif
Just use a little caution bro. I've read a few comments by folks who tried Powers and said that they don't give until they're pushed really hard. Problem is, when they hit that limit they snap loose with no hopes of just slidin'. Supposedly when they break loose your ass hits the ground before you realize you're slidin'. I never had that problem because I never pushed 'em to that limit. Had the rear break traction once under full throttle on a surprise damp section of road at +/- 100 mph, but Hell they just spun like any tire would have in that case...

I have to wonder if the Powers are actually slidin' but maybe they slide in a way that is undetectable. Microsliding is a term I've read that might apply here... Not sure. The reason I say this is my bud said I was leavin' darkies comin' off of some turns but I never felt it slide or spin. It had to be doin' one of the two to leave darkies, right?
rock.gif
Again, I'm no pro so I don't know... I'm just wonderin' if the Powers' slide is so subtle that it's largely undetected by folks used to ridin' on tires that will slide predictably and in a way that you can easily feel. Maybe by the time they really break loose and REALLY slide, you've already been slidin' to some extent and you just slingshot past the traction limit by the time you realize it?

I'm kind of second guessin' puttin' Powers on the 10. They were so great on the busa that I hate not to, but I'd come nearer pushin' 'em harder on the 10 than I would have on the busa due to the higher corner speeds I'm carryin' on the 10. I love the "planted" feel of the Powers but I do NOT want to wad my bike if the tires hold like glue right up to the limit and then just snap loose. I grew up ridin' dirt and hangin' the ass out in the turns. I also had Train hang 'er ass out a few times in a controlled manner and was ok with that because it still felt controllable.

So, now I've gotta ask myself if I want tires that allow some controlled and predictable slidin'? Or do I want tires that grip like fuggin' stink but possibly snap loose at the limit?
rock.gif
I don't think I'm a good enough, or fast enough rider to find the limits of the Powers on clear, clean roads. I might never run into a problem with 'em. But how sure can I be as to where that limit is without bustin' it? Is it worth gamblin' on not hittin' the limit?

I dunno, man. I just knew I'd be gettin' Powers for the 10 when the stockers are toast. Now I'm not so sure... May end up tryin' Diablos after all.
drooling3.gif

Just be careful if you ride near the edge, man. Don't want to see you hurt yerself or yer busa, bro...
rock.gif

smile.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Judging from that pic with the burnout skid mark, it looks like she swayed quite a bit to one side. Did you almost lose it?
rock.gif
Either that, or it's a real close "close up."

Judging from that pic with the burnout skid mark, it looks like she swayed quite a bit to one side. Did you almost lose it?
rock.gif
Either that, or it's a real close "close up."
I was lazily rockin'er back and forth to avoid just burnin' down the very center of the tire. It was 100% controlled side to side motions, kind of like you see the guys do at the drag strip to warm more of the tire before a run.
wink.gif

Yeah, I've heard a few of those stories too about the Powers, but I don't even ride well enough to take the tires to the very edge ... not yet anyway. Thanks for the message ... I'll take it easy at first and work my way up to really getting on them. I am so looking forward to this Saturday!!

I've still have less than 200 miles on the new Powers. I haven't been able to get on them real hard yet in the twisties. There's a small mountains about 1/2 hour away that I rode yesterday, but the traffic was heavy and the leaves and deer were also plentiful. My updated observation in my amateur opinion is that the Powers are a little better tire than the Diablos. I've already mentioned that the rubber is softer and yesterday I found out that they lean/turn just a little bit quicker. So far I'm extremely pleased with them. They are stable and hold their line during a panic stop and stuck well while I was doing figure 8's in a graveled parking lot. Now I just have to get back into the mountain roads and ride in a light rain before another updated opinion.

run.jpg

Thanks, Sage. I may go for them next after a run with the Diablos.

FIGURE 8's IN A GRAVEL PARKIGN LOT? ? WHAT THE......
biggrin.gif
I won't ask

I'm still skeptica of their better feel. If you replaced some nicely worn tires, anything will steer better. hmmmm can you take those off now and put on some new Diablos for a side by side?? Yeah, thanks.
smile.gif

Also how are they at speeds above 140+? My Diablos seemed not so planted, a tad bouncey maybe attributed to their steerable profile. Let me know when you get a chance to um.... speed. Might not want to use gravel at 140 though. ;)

FIGURE 8's IN A GRAVEL PARKIGN LOT? ? WHAT THE......
biggrin.gif
I won't ask

I'm still skeptica of their better feel. If you replaced some nicely worn tires, anything will steer better. hmmmm can you take those off now and put on some new Diablos for a side by side?? Yeah, thanks.
smile.gif

Also how are they at speeds above 140+? My Diablos seemed not so planted, a tad bouncey maybe attributed to their steerable profile. Let me know when you get a chance to um.... speed. Might not want to use gravel at 140 though. ;)
I took the Powers to above 150 several times and over 160 a few times. No problems at all...

One note I've seen made was that the Power front has a bit taller profile than most other sport tires. Some folks have said they lowered the front end by slidin' the forks up in the triples a few mm to negate the change in geometry caused by the slightly taller tire. I didn't make any changes to the busa after the Power install and didn't notice anything different other than the superior grip and quicker turnin' as compared to the Battlaxes. Just my take... for what it's worth.

Yeah man I know ... see what happened was ... and then ... therefore ... whereas ... seriously though when I get new tires I've decided to go to this one parking lot after hours and scrub the in and go through the exercised from the MSF course ... the other day this lot was full of loose gravel from some recent repairs. I didn't notice until the rear slide for a brief 1/2 second and then caught before I even had a chance to react ... I was like hmmmm let's try that again ... obviously it wasn't a LOT of loose gravel and I didn't put my bike in any danger by trying to go too fast.
I totally agree that our perception of new tires will be biased more if the old ones we wore out past their wear marks. I try to factor that into my report. The only claim I'm making now is that the Powers are softer and a little bit stickier. I will include some high speed runs to the other tests I'll be doing soonest!

Back