Pilot Powers

3rdbusa

Registered
After reading about the new Michelin Pilot Powers I had to try a pair, FANTASTIC!! My Metzler sport tec's are in the garage now!!

I'm just waiting to get mine mounted here in the next week or so.

How good do they hold if there is light gravel on the road
rock.gif

How are the Powers holding up durability wise....most folks agree the grip is stellar...anyone put some long miles on them?

Pilot Powers = Single compound (Old style technology) almost as soft as a race tire? Has a race profile for better grip on the outside, less rubber on the ground in the upright position. Any soft compound tire has a short life span. I don't understand why anyone would buy a single compound tire for the streets when there are great dual compound tires out there that grip just as well at full lean, yet has a harder compound in the center for longer life? It's called a race profile for a reason, it's great on the track, and I suppose it's good for the streets if you spend more than 50% of your time on the outside 1/3 of the tire? Personally, I don't like the race profile for street use. Michelin sells lots of powers so they have to be a decent tire. I'd run them on the track!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with dual compound tires, I'd recommend researching the option of dual compound? I'm on my fourth set of BTO14's and I love the grip and mileage is at least a third better than the pilots.

I have a full set of powers that should be going on just prior to my departure for the CO cyclefest event
cool.gif
They should be fantastic in the mountains
biggrin.gif

Pilot Powers = Single compound (Old style technology) almost as soft as a race tire? Has a race profile for better grip on the outside, less rubber on the ground in the upright position. Any soft compound tire has a short life span. I don't understand why anyone would buy a single compound tire for the streets when there are great dual compound tires out there that grip just as well at full lean, yet has a harder compound in the center for longer life? It's called a race profile for a reason, it's great on the track, and I suppose it's good for the streets if you spend more than 50% of your time on the outside 1/3 of the tire? Personally, I don't like the race profile for street use. Michelin sells lots of powers so they have to be a decent tire. I'd run them on the track!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with dual compound tires, I'd recommend researching the option of dual compound? I'm on my fourth set of BTO14's and I love the grip and mileage is at least a third better than the pilots.
Funny, My BT014s on my gsxr1000 wore out in 3500 kms?

I had that much on the powers on my BUSA and they had 1/2 tread left?

You can't say they have bad tread life... Just not true.

How are the Powers holding up durability wise....most folks agree the grip is stellar...anyone put some long miles on them?
I haven't wore a set completely out yet to give you an accurate statement. But they last longer than any other soft tire Ived used. The outlast the Metzeler Sportec M-1s, Dunlop D208s, Michelin Pilot Sport HPXs, and the BT014s for sure. I sold my Busa before the Powers were completely worn out, had almost 4,000 kms on them.

The grip, warm up time, and pointier profile are all stellar, the best street tire mad in my opinion for aggresive riding... Bar None.

-Bill

Back