Maybe not...

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
I was looking over the requirements for the Air Traffic Controller course at Hampton University, and saw it requires Calculus........ I SUCK at math. I'm RELLY good at figuring stuff out, but when it comes to writing it out, I SUCK...... Maybe another career is in store for me...........

Yeah, i can understand how math is difficult. My day to day routine of Quantum physics when measuring granite counter tops is a real chore.
biggrin.gif

what one man can do another can do... get yourself together you "little" lazy boy !
biggrin.gif

Calculus is not algebra... start practicing. multiply license plate numbers in your head every time your drive. Brain could be trained...

A lot of times some courses can be subsituted for others. Have you talked to the air traffic dept. head at the college? Tutors are also a possibility.

Like Charlesbusa said, try to talk to the heads of the dept. and see what can be substituted. To be an ATC you don't need high level math at all.  Basic  addition ,subtraction, multiplication, and division, is all you need ,but you need to do them very well and very fast. Colleges are too into theory and no practical thinking. They like to think that college is the end all to making money. NOT. Hard work is.....and good genetics.

Do the calculus, man. If I could do it, you can too. Trust me on this one.

The way I got through it was a close friend who IS a rocket scientist tutored me through it. Find a guy who's an engineer or in some other field which requires the DAILY use of it and you'll get through the class just fine.

Furthermore, it's easier to understand calculus than College Algebra, in my opinion. It's just a little troublesome to do the actual calculations.

Do, it, bro. If you have a dream, don't let a little thing like a semester or two of Calculus stop you. If you do, you'll live the rest of your life thinking, "What if?" or, "I wish I had at least given it a try."

You'd rather find yourself saying, "I gave it my best shot and I have no regrets about it."

Good luck, boss.

--Wag--

I don't know that the calculus part would deter me as much as the stress those guys/gals are under as ATC...don't we have a member that's ATC here? I've always understood that it's highly stressful...

As for the calculus woes, sign up at the local community college for a refresher and see how you fair. I too hate math, but made it through calc with a 'B' many moons ago...doubt I could do that now...
laugh.gif
But, if I could do it, you can do it Ben...
cool.gif

I don't know that the calculus part would deter me as much as the stress those guys/gals are under as ATC...don't we have a member that's ATC here?  I've always understood that it's highly stressful...

As for the calculus woes, sign up at the local community college for a refresher and see how you fair.  I too hate math, but made it through calc with a 'B' many moons ago...doubt I could do that now...
laugh.gif
cool.gif
I think there are 2 or 3 of them(ATC's).

I do believe ATC's are on the top ten suicide list.

Perhaps this isn't the best career path for ol' Ben.

Depressed,Bi-Polar,high stress job,recently lost his girl....

maybe I can just walk to Hawaii...suddenly,I'm afraid to fly.

I don't know that the calculus part would deter me as much as the stress those guys/gals are under as ATC...don't we have a member that's ATC here?  I've always understood that it's highly stressful...

As for the calculus woes, sign up at the local community college for a refresher and see how you fair.  I too hate math, but made it through calc with a 'B' many moons ago...doubt I could do that now...
laugh.gif
cool.gif
I think there are 2 or 3 of them(ATC's).

I do believe ATC's  are on the top ten suicide list.

Perhaps this isn't the best career path for ol' Ben.

Depressed,Bi-Polar,high stress job,recently lost his girl....

maybe I can just walk to Hawaii...suddenly,I'm afraid to fly.
Wow...just brought up a whole new fear for me Rub...gee, thanks...I'll never fly again...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I was way off...*Imagine That*

tounge.gif

Found this list...

Attachments

• table.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 86
Cops,then the military...then...

I think thats odd that the military would have such a high rate of suicide.

Anyone care to beat Ol' Rubb with the smart stick?

...just beating you would be sufficient...the type of stick is irrelevant...
tounge.gif

Back