Air Traffic Controllers

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
If I were to become an Air Traffic Controller, What are the requirements? What is the main cause of stress? Is there alot of paperwork? How much could I expect to make? I was wondering because I might be looking for a job (I keep my options open to good jobs), and I've always LOVED jets, and I was tossing the Idea around of pursuing this as a career. Thanks for your help.

You have to be younger than 30yrs first.   Plus it takes a couple years to get hired(at least).  So if you're 28, it'll be close.

3 ways to get in.  
1)CTI.   You enroll in a FAA certified college/tech school and complete that institution's requirements.  Some college's require 4yr degree, some 2yr, and I'm not sure about the tech school types.

2)Prior military or civillian service.  If you were an air traffic controller in military or civillian sector.  You qualify.

3)Hired off the street.  The hardest to do and rarest.  Relies on good ole boy network mostly.  But theoretically, you can take a Test and if your scores are high enough, the FAA will hire you.

The college/tech school route is much more garraunteed and objective.  I recommend that route.

Base pay for a certified controller(takes about a year for a tower/3yrs for a radar facility) differs based on the facility level.  If you are sent to a tower(much easier and practically a no-washout odds) base pay will PROBABLY be around $81640.  That's a level 7 tower like Santa Monica.  Add in night pay(after6pm), Sunday pay, locality, CIP(locality within locality), and a few holidays and you will gross around $85000-93000 depending on locality rates.  A radar facility will be much harder.  They're generally a level 11 and have a moderate washout rate(not everyone makes it).  Their base starts at $120651.  Add in the extras and its probably grossing at $125000-130000.

If you have any more questions, just PM me and I'll explain away.  Just remember its a process to be hired, takes years.  But definately worth it!!

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137607822 -->

Forgot about your other 2 questions, got carried away  
blush.gif

Getting hired there is always paperwork, but the job itself.  No paperwork.  You wear a headset(t-shirt/short/sandals in my case  
biggrin.gif
) and talk to planes.  Look out the window or at a radar screen or both.  That's it.  The job is mental.  There are airplanes are in your head, really.  

As for stress, 2 factors.  
1)  The facility, SoCal TRACON(radar facility) is the buisiest facility in the world and the most stressful.   Podunck Tower in Idaho however, is probably a country club.

2)  Your personality.  If you are flexible(don't fight change) and don't get mad easily, a lot less stress.  However if you are rigid(things only work one way) and get pissed quickly, a lot more stress.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137609868 -->

Forgot about your other 2 questions, got carried away  
blush.gif

Getting hired there is always paperwork, but the job itself.  No paperwork.  You wear a headset(t-shirt/short/sandals in my case  
biggrin.gif
) and talk to planes.  Look out the window or at a radar screen or both.  That's it.  The job is mental.  The are airplanes are in your head, really.  

As for stress, 2 factors.  
1)  The facility, SoCal TRACON(radar facility) is the buisiest facility in the country and the most stressful.   Podunck Tower in Idaho however, is probably a country club.

2)  Your personality.  If you are flexible(don't fight change) and don't get made easily, a lot less stress.  However if you are rigid(things only work one way) and get pissed quickly, a lot more stress.
Thanks!! I might have to go back to school.......

I don't know where one of those FAA certified schools are in VA. But I'll see what I can find out.

Here's for you yamahor;

Virginia
Department of Aviation
Hampton University
Hampton, VA 23668
(757) 727-5418

One other thing, I hope you speaka good english and can talk quickly.

If you're like Bubba joe always taking a moment to pause before talking or english isn't your first language, you will have a difficult time making the cut.

If you're like Bubba joe always taking a moment to pause before talking or english isn't your first language, you will have a difficult time making the cut.
Thanks!! And don't worry, I Speak engrish verwy rell. lol

Hey, that's age discrimination, young pup!

biggrin.gif

Nah, I can never understand what's being said on a radio anyhow. Even the chatterbox kills me sometimes!

--Wag--

Thanks!! And don't worry, I Speak engrish verwy rell.  lol
I'll have to make a note to NOT ever fly in Virginia
laugh.gif

Seriously tho...Good luck on your quest
cool.gif

A good calm ATC makes a world of difference when you're flying into a strange airport. Pilots are relying on your guidance to get them on the ground safely. It's a huge responsibility.

I would fly more, but my arms get tired quickly. badumph....

Get it, "fly more", arms.....fly...tired. Ugh....

Just shoot me.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137642003 -->

If I were to become an Air Traffic Controller, What are the requirements? What is the main cause of stress? Is there alot of paperwork? How much could I expect to make? I was wondering because I might be looking for a job (I keep my options open to good jobs), and I've always LOVED jets, and I was tossing the Idea around of pursuing this as a career. Thanks for your help.
Yamahor , did you get my e-mail?

Charlesbusa, you must be a controller in the California area? I'm at MN center.

Yamahor , did you get my e-mail?
no....... try sending it to yamahor@hayabusa.org, or just pm me.

Back