Maybe it's time to slow down?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I’m getting older and my health isn’t that great. I can still ride the busa on 12-16 hour days, but I feel it long after the anesthesia of burning hydrocarbons wears off. I’m also getting more responsibility. The parents are getting older and need more attention than a quick phone call too. Projects at work have gone from little $5,000,000 buildings to $200,000,000 complexes with investors exposed to huge risks. Often now the playtime on the open road is tempered with a bit of guilt. What if I crash with so many people depending on me being there when they call, or when there’s a meeting in some boardroom Monday?

I love my family and would gladly do whatever is necessary to make their lives as enjoyable as possible. And I have worked 12-14 hour days for 35 years to get to where I am professionally. This makes things much harder. My family and my work aren’t burdens, they are two of the things I love so much that they define who I am.

The Hayabusa is the third thing that defines me. Never have I loved something material so much. I spend hours working on it, much more than riding it, I even talk to it. I want it perfect, better than the day I bought it 5 years ago. Nothing I have experienced has been as consistently awesome as my Busa. It is like a prized horse, there is a deep feeling of synergy when we are cutting through the corn fields of south and central Virginia at crazy speeds that is like no friendship I have ever known. Now I know there are probably 10 bikes out there that I could like too. Busa the busa fits me and like the marines say: “This is my motorcycles, there are many motorcycles but this one is mine…â€￾

So my work nourishes my mind, my family nourishes my heart, and the Busa nourishes my soul. When you get down to it, it’s really that simple. Things get complicated when you try to balance mind, heart, and soul. Which gets us to the point of all this:

I went to the AMA races at VIR some time ago and I got to talk to some of the Yoshimura/Suzuki team mechanics. I told them I had a new Hayabusa and was interested in what they thought I should modify to make the bike reach its true potential. They said first was new tires, then a 4-1 Yoshimura exhaust and dyno tune, stainless steel brake lines, radial master cylinder, Brembo calipers, upgrade the suspension, go to lighter wheels, and finally lose as much weight as possible. And that’s what I have been doing to the bike for the last 4 years.

All I have left to do are the Brembo calipers and disks, and the wheels. But now things are changing and I am wondering if maybe it’s time to move into the more “respectableâ€￾ (and safer) world of motorcycle riding with something like a BMW 1600? It’s getting harder and harder to find people to ride with. Either they are too old and slow or I’m just too mature to follow some of these sportbike kids to jail. Every time I talk to someone at a stop it’s “nice bikeâ€￾ and then “you look more like a Harley guyâ€￾. Maybe it’s time to compromise, get a BMW and slow down, feed the soul a little less raw meat.

If we have a good year this year at work, I’ll be getting the Brembo calipers, then the wheels next year. I still need to get the Busa on the track again and there is this road called the “Back of the Dragonâ€￾ I want to ride at speed …….:smileok:

In my opinion, I work to provide a certain quality of home life. Yes, I have many responsibilities, but riding is part of who I am and if I were to give that up then I feel I would be giving up part of who I am. My wife knows and understands this, dont care what work thinks.

Here's my take....You don't have to ride 12-16 hour days on the bike. Getting older has to allow for some adjustments. Congratulations on a successful career but the reality is if you are not there, someone else will be there. Fact of business. Now for family, most of them should realize and recognize your passion for riding. It should be important for them as well. Ride smart and try to leave some financial security for your dependents regardless of your passions.

For my wife and I, we made some changes after we received permanent guardianship of three granddaughters (sisters) a few years ago. I downsized professionally and we relocated from Florida to Utah. I still ride but I try to ride smarter. The entire family knows and understands our passion for riding and would not like it if I gave it up, especially still being a capable rider.

Anyway, people always have doubts and concerns as they get older. Good luck with your health and with whatever decisions you make.

I went to the AMA races at VIR some time ago and I got to talk to some of the Yoshimura/Suzuki team mechanics. I told them I had a new Hayabusa and was interested in what they thought I should modify to make the bike reach its true potential. They said first was new tires, then a 4-1 Yoshimura exhaust and dyno tune, stainless steel brake lines, radial master cylinder, Brembo calipers, upgrade the suspension, go to lighter wheels, and finally lose as much weight as possible. And that’s what I have been doing to the bike for the last 4 years.

If we have a good year this year at work, I’ll be getting the Brembo calipers, then the wheels next year. I still need to get the Busa on the track again and there is this road called the “Back of the Dragonâ€￾ I want to ride at speed …….:smileok:

Riding any motorcycle "Not to Crash" results in advancing skills a very, very slow process by guaranteeing one's self that the nut between the bars will never see the potential of the beast between the thighs.

Less than 10 percent of the riders in this wonderful country of ours takes any advanced training after the MSF course required to get there motorcycle endorsement. Congratulations, you are now qualified to ride a motorcycle in a controlled environment (Parking lot) at speeds of 15-18 mph. With no advanced training you will never reach the level required to master your hayabusa in bone stock form. Visiting with AMA mechanics doesn't qualify as advanced training. Spending all of your excess $$$ on advancing the ability of the bike without spending a nickel on the nut between the bars is not my idea of money well spent.

Not hammering on you Arch, just giving you a little food for thought. Upgrading to brembo brakes is not an asset, its a liability without the skills to master aggressive brakes. The money you'll spend on Marchesini wheels will buy a lot of advanced training time. Did you read DooKoo's thread on his recent crash? His Brembo brakes didn't do him any favors when he found himself in a situation where braking while leaned over became an option. An option he chose without the skills to manage traction that didn't end well.

Skills cannot be purchased, they must be earned! :beerchug:

If you are still going to ride a 1600 BMW, you will get you into as much trouble (as I came from BMW back to a Busa).

In the end, if the activity really doesnt ignite your passion, give it up.

Changing bikes to a "safer bike" is not a solution when it is a 1600/6 cylinder..

BB

No bike is safe unless you are safe. You will crash on a moped just as easy as a busa if you aren't careful. Like Tuf said experience and knowledge. Yes I get the guys (kids) at work going what ?? You ride a busa? I thought you'd be on a Harley. Yes , I don't do as many twisties as I used to but I still have fun . I work hard and enjoy my time off. Sounds like you are just going through some sort of midlife, so go get on your bike and ride safe.

Will never sell the Busa. 1600 is second bike. I am a definite believer that when it's your time it's your time whether you are on a bike or a sofa. But there is more risk to riding a country road at 100 mph than a 1600 down the interstate. Tuf still believes there are no good riders out there unless he taught and he wants me to apologize for building an awesome bike before I knew how to break the track record on a stock one. :banghead:

Hey fallenarch, if you can ride 12-16 hours a day you aren't getting old... I don't think it's about getting old. Maybe it's something else... Maybe something matured, and this requires finding a new balance... I always ride solo with rare exception. Tried group rides a long time ago, and like you pointed out it's either one thing, or another. Solo riding provides a very profound experience, and it doesn't have to be that long of a ride. It's the quality, and your state of mind that matter. It's the raw feeling of something on a deeper level - being one with the bike, one with the road, and one with yourself. You crave for something, and just need to figure out what it is.

Will never sell the Busa. 1600 is second bike. I am a definite believer that when it's your time it's your time whether you are on a bike or a sofa. But there is more risk to riding a country road at 100 mph than a 1600 down the interstate.

Yes... I have a Honda ST1300 for my 'other' bike. It's a very workman like ride, interesting but not heart-stirring like my Hayabusa. I actually ride it twice as much as the busa, though.

Will never sell the Busa. 1600 is second bike. I am a definite believer that when it's your time it's your time whether you are on a bike or a sofa. But there is more risk to riding a country road at 100 mph than a 1600 down the interstate. Tuf still believes there are no good riders out there unless he taught and he wants me to apologize for building an awesome bike before I knew how to break the track record on a stock one. :banghead:

What gave you the idea that I may "Want" something from you? I could care less what or how you upgrade your bike. My point was you wasted your money if you were in hopes that these modifications would improve your riding skill. Doesn't work that way!

Yes, advanced skills are very important for sure and nothing beats getting the proper skills and practice that this training can provide. That being said I personally feel much safer on my Busa than I have on my cruisers or my dads Gold Wing. I can brake much faster and swerve much quicker on my maneuverable sport bike that I can on a bike top heavy bike. People see the Busa and say don't kill yourself on that thing as they hop on their 900 pound Harley. Just makes me laugh. If a deer runs out in the road I have a way better chance of slowing down, leaning in, and swerving out of the way on my machine.

Now, all of that goes out the window if I am going 100mph on the Busa and not putting along at 55mph on my Harley I suppose. That has nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with judgement and self control. It may take a while but I can get a Harley up to 100mph too and if I am going that fast I will choose my Busa.

What gave you the idea that I may "Want" something from you? I could care less what or how you upgrade your bike. My point was you wasted your money if you were in hopes that these modifications would improve your riding skill. Doesn't work that way!

There are people who love working on bikes too. When I was young I wanted to be a mechanic, not a rider. There are some of us out there who love the machine and love wrenching on the best stuff we can get our hands on. Every time someone posts on here about adding high end stuff to THEIR bike you chime in with your tired commercial for people to go to the track. You don't get that a lot of us are good enough riders and we just love the machinery. Yes, you never know when you will need more talent than you have, but it doesn't take too many trips to the track to gather more experience than you typically need on the street. So you either ride too fast on the street or start looking for a track bike.

I think you actually drive people away from track day training because you are such a jerk in your comments on the forum. Maybe you are a great ride coach but there is nothing in your personality that makes me want to pay to get your opinion about riding a motorcycle.

When it's your time it's your time - true, however we can't control anyone else.
The chance of someone hitting you on a bike is there - not so much on the sofa.
Doesn't matter what bike.
Ever heard - if I have to explain you wouldn't understand?

Do you have enough life insurance? What more can you do? You could have a
Heart attack - would that be better than dying on your bike?

Let the people that you love know it in no uncertain terms, then go ride.

Would you rather die doing what you love to do (feeding your soul) or die via cancer?
If you can ride 12 plus hours you are in great shape. Slowing down might reduce your great shape? Get soft?

In the end this seems like you wanted to vent in a good way (get it off your chest kind of) but you probably all ready
Knew what you were going to do before you posted this thread.

Get another bike if you want to, your Busa won't get jealous - and it's nice to have a choice. :whistle:

Besides can you really lose? You have used 9 of your 9 lives, right? Enjoy!

last weekend, a local guy was driving his car through the Farm and Home parking lot, had a heart attack, died, rolled right out of the parking lot, and hit a tree...i believe they said he was 62 or 63...there is no way i want to die in a cage in the Farm and Home parking lot!!! make sure your responsibilities are covered and get out and do what you like! if you want a BMW to ride too, there is nothing wrong with that at all...they are also an excellent example of a super machine :beerchug:

Riding any motorcycle "Not to Crash" results in advancing skills a very, very slow process by guaranteeing one's self that the nut between the bars will never see the potential of the beast between the thighs.

Less than 10 percent of the riders in this wonderful country of ours takes any advanced training after the MSF course required to get there motorcycle endorsement. Congratulations, you are now qualified to ride a motorcycle in a controlled environment (Parking lot) at speeds of 15-18 mph. With no advanced training you will never reach the level required to master your hayabusa in bone stock form. Visiting with AMA mechanics doesn't qualify as advanced training. Spending all of your excess $$$ on advancing the ability of the bike without spending a nickel on the nut between the bars is not my idea of money well spent.

Not hammering on you Arch, just giving you a little food for thought. Upgrading to brembo brakes is not an asset, its a liability without the skills to master aggressive brakes. The money you'll spend on Marchesini wheels will buy a lot of advanced training time. Did you read DooKoo's thread on his recent crash? His Brembo brakes didn't do him any favors when he found himself in a situation where braking while leaned over became an option. An option he chose without the skills to manage traction that didn't end well.

Skills cannot be purchased, they must be earned! :beerchug:

I have to agree with Steve on this. Maybe doing some track days will increase your confidence. Those skills translate to the busa and the big beemer. Whats funny is I am still running stock everything on both bikes. I have not found myself exceeding what the existing mechanical devices will provide. Maybe I just found the secret to contentment?

There are people who love working on bikes too. When I was young I wanted to be a mechanic, not a rider. There are some of us out there who love the machine and love wrenching on the best stuff we can get our hands on. Every time someone posts on here about adding high end stuff to THEIR bike you chime in with your tired commercial for people to go to the track. You don't get that a lot of us are good enough riders and we just love the machinery. Yes, you never know when you will need more talent than you have, but it doesn't take too many trips to the track to gather more experience than you typically need on the street. So you either ride too fast on the street or start looking for a track bike.

I think you actually drive people away from track day training because you are such a jerk in your comments on the forum. Maybe you are a great ride coach but there is nothing in your personality that makes me want to pay to get your opinion about riding a motorcycle.

Arch, just so you know: I've been happily married five times, Viet Nam & prison. So don't you worry one little bit about me when you lower yourself to the level of name calling. I am perfectly aware that once the name calling begins it means the source has absolutely nothing of substance left to defend his position. What you think of me has absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever.

I would be tickled to death to see you advance your skills. However, your personality tells me you will most likely never reach nor pursue any sort of motorcycle control skills above just keeping it between the ditches. Apparently you have this vision that those of us who do elevate our skills are the crazy high speed nuts on the streets that we see passing 3 at a time on the double yellow line. That view is far from reality.

Personally, I restrict myself to 80 mph on the back roads. If my friends want to blaze off at triple digits into the distance, they go without me. I'll be there when I get there. Advanced training has taught me that the faster I go the less time I have to correct an error. Does this mean I'm bullet proof? No, all it means is I am better at managing the risk factors than the average bloke. Time is our greatest enemy. If I have time on my side I can correct most any life threatening situation. I also never use all the available lean angle I have at my disposal on the back roads. There is always a tidy amount left in the bag just in case it's needed.

Keith Code said it best, "The fastest rider on the streets is rarely the best rider, simply the rider willing to take the most chances".

The more skills we develop the more fun riding becomes not to mention it makes us a much safer rider. God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason Arch, use them wisely! :beerchug:

Im almost 50. not that old.. not yet anyway and i say do what you want to do. what ever makes YOU and only you happy in this matter. You have clearly done for your family and your company and that is a trait that is somewhat lost these days so for this one thing. do it for you and have fun doing it. if it makes you feel alive and young in your heart go for it.

Arch, just so you know: I've been happily married five times, Viet Nam & prison. So don't you worry one little bit about me when you lower yourself to the level of name calling. I am perfectly aware that once the name calling begins it means the source has absolutely nothing of substance left to defend his position. What you think of me has absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever.

I would be tickled to death to see you advance your skills. However, your personality tells me you will most likely never reach nor pursue any sort of motorcycle control skills above just keeping it between the ditches. Apparently you have this vision that those of us who do elevate our skills are the crazy high speed nuts on the streets that we see passing 3 at a time on the double yellow line. That view is far from reality.

Personally, I restrict myself to 80 mph on the back roads. If my friends want to blaze off at triple digits into the distance, they go without me. I'll be there when I get there. Advanced training has taught me that the faster I go the less time I have to correct an error. Does this mean I'm bullet proof? No, all it means is I am better at managing the risk factors than the average bloke. Time is our greatest enemy. If I have time on my side I can correct most any life threatening situation. I also never use all the available lean angle I have at my disposal on the back roads. There is always a tidy amount left in the bag just in case it's needed.

Keith Code said it best, "The fastest rider on the streets is rarely the best rider, simply the rider willing to take the most chances".

The more skills we develop the more fun riding becomes not to mention it makes us a much safer rider. God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason Arch, use them wisely! :beerchug:

Tuf ,
Thank you for your service. VN heroes never got their due love. Happy. 4 th a thanks for the effort in defending the country roads I ride !

Back