Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale

(GMbusa @ Jan. 17 2007,17:14) I would hate to see a world where a normal working guy can't afford a decent muscle car. The way it's going were almost there. No wonder why kids go for the import cars now. That's all that's cheap enough to buy.
You have that right . I saw some 69 Camaros go for close to 2 million . And forget about a Hemi Cuda or a 442 Cutlass .

I love this forum. If it wasn't for the members, I probably wouldn't have chosen a busa. It's great to have a place to kick around ideas.

I just returned from another 14 hour day at B-J, talking just about non-stop to people of all ages. Each was a car enthusiast.

GMbusa, to be clear I never said that you said the government should prevent companies or people from buying cars when they wanted. I was trying to make the point: What's your solution?

Leno has worked hard for his success and I'm happy he can do what he's doing. Why shouldn't he be able to buy what he wants at any price he wants?

Yesterday, a very good looking 71 Mach I sold for 17k and an equally good looking Silver Anniv. Corvette sold for 16. A very cool 35 collector car selling for about what a plane-Jane econo box sells for now? That sounds amazing.

Meanwhile we can buy a good used busa for $7k with performance that wasn't available for $100k back then.

I guess I'm offering no solutions either but all things considered it's not so bad now. You can buy a used C5 Corvette that's faster than any of the $200K 435hp big blocks, handles better, has 1/100 the pollution, is much safer, is more comfortable and is more reliable.

Just random thoughts, as they said in "Almost Famous"

"It's all good" -- well almost

good luck with the auction
beerchug.gif

The car sold for $150,000 last night at 7:15 or so. I guess I'll never be able to buy a 1959 Cadillac now. LOL. Just kidding.

Hey congratulations on the sale and I hope you find your next project to be as exciting s this one was!!

Thanks to everybody for their input and good wishes. I really screwed up, I placed the orginal battery back in and all the starting wore it down so it didn't start going up on the block. I wanted the car to be complete as in 1959 -- mistake but at least the new owner got a deal.

I'll buy an aluminum mc trailer and do a little dirt biking as a diversion now.

'met a lot of nice people there -- real car and motorcycle enthusiasts.

Time to kick back now.

I understand about cars and pricing. I watch Barret-Jackson too but i laugh when they say what a bargin a $20K muscle car is.  What kind of normal working joe can afford a $15-20K muscle car? Heck, most of us have to finance a $11K Busa.  I guess when all you see is $50-150K cars all day long on the auction block then yes, a $10-20K car would seem "affordable". That isn't real world.  
It's almost like Barret-Jackson is in their own reality mainly made up of really well off rich guys.   Come on down to the real world Barret-Jackson one day.

People can buy and sell for what they want. That's fine.
But i'm saying that there's a difference between the normal working guy world and rich guy world.

Congrats on the sale though...we watched it and it was a beautiful car!
beerchug.gif

I must admit I feel where you are coming from here Paul, we all know that the world revolves around money and investors are always looking for the next big win.

There will always be two opinions on this topic

From what I saw, most of the cars sold were bought by people who really appreciated them and wanted them. Many couldn't afford them when they were young but they've worked hard, maybe invested, and now can buy them. The vast majority of buyers wore jeans and sneakers and didn't arrive in limos.

SPEED shows prime time cars -- usually the most expensive and more of those are bought by 'investors' I would guess. Maybe they'll get burned like some Ferarri investors did a dozen years ago.

Back then I used to squawk about 'investors' who knew little about the history or details of great cars (I called those people 'wing-tipped weenies') and bought cars assumed to be the best, like Ferarri, and ignored cars I considered much more exciting and better designed, like Corvettes and special Mustangs. Well I got my wish - they now value those cars so much the best ones are not affordable. So now I'm not happy they value those cars.

In any case, there are no investors in communist countries and we see how that system works (plus their vehicles suck). Capitalism is far from perfect but it looks like the best system to me.

Thanks to members for their good wishes and I hope we meet.

(GMbusa @ Jan. 16 2007,15:09) I think the Barrett-Jackson televised auction is the worst thing to happen to us car guys and the car community. Now we have all these uber-rich maggots that have nothing else better to do than spend a couple mil at a auction. And they don't even drive the cars they buy! They're "investments", BullS&*T. It's about getting out and enjoying the ride, talking about cars, meeting people. Not golfing with your buddies and bragging about how many rare classics that are collecting dust in your private museum.

Now a normal joe can't even buy a 67-72' Chevelle or Camaro because everyone thinks their car is worth $25K when 5 years ago you coulda got the same car for $2500. Heck, even completely rusted out hulks have $3-5K asking prices now. It's a load of crap and i can't wait till the market drops out and all the rich fuggers lose their ass because they spent $1.5 mil for a hemiCuda convertible and it's now worth $90K.
What a Bunch of Crap... Nothing But Crap. The Minute you've got something you want to sell you'll be just praying that some "Rich Maggot" as you put it is there to pay way more than your Car is worth. YOU KNOW IT'S True...

Just ripping on folks that love cars and happen to have a lot of money makes no sense. May as well hate Leno cause he can have anything he wants in the Automotive world.

Hating folks that have money makes no sense, nobody gets a free ride epecially here in America. Sure there is a small percentage of old money running round, but by and large folks here have worked and earned the right to pay WAY more than what a car is worth. The industry is thriving because of this.

Just bitching because your finances or common sense prevents you from buying that overpriced piece of crap doesn't make any sense. Sound mostly like you are pissed off at folks that have done something with their lives and can now enjoy the fruits.

Back