Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale

spotrot

Registered
If any forum members want to stop by and say “Hi,â€￾ I’ll be with my car in the main (Pavilion) tent each day from Sat Jan 13 until its auction Friday the 19th.

Anyone who isn’t going but want see the action, it’s on SPEED TV Friday primetime. It’s the 2,200 mile 1959 Cadillac Eldorado #1014.

If such big-finned Detroit iron interests you, its web site 1959Cadillac.com has more pics and its history. Also YouTube has my video:

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm could have saved Johnny Cash some trouble tho!

One Piece At A Time
Well, I left Kentucky back in '49
An' went to Detroit workin' on a 'sembly line
The first year they had me puttin' wheels on cadillacs

Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black.

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

CHORUS
I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round.

So the very next day when I punched in
With my big lunchbox and with help from my friends
I left that day with a lunch box full of gears
Now, I never considered myself a thief
GM wouldn't miss just one little piece
Especially if I strung it out over several years.

The first day I got me a fuel pump
And the next day I got me an engine and a trunk
Then I got me a transmission and all of the chrome
The little things I could get in my big lunchbox
Like nuts, an' bolts, and all four shocks
But the big stuff we snuck out in my buddy's mobile home.

Now, up to now my plan went all right
'Til we tried to put it all together one night
And that's when we noticed that something was definitely wrong.

The transmission was a '53
And the motor turned out to be a '73
And when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone.

So we drilled it out so that it would fit
And with a little bit of help with an A-daptor kit
We had that engine runnin' just like a song
Now the headlight' was another sight
We had two on the left and one on the right
But when we pulled out the switch all three of 'em come on.

The back end looked kinda funny too
But we put it together and when we got thru
Well, that's when we noticed that we only had one tail-fin
About that time my wife walked out
And I could see in her eyes that she had her doubts
But she opened the door and said "Honey, take me for a spin."

So we drove up town just to get the tags
And I headed her right on down main drag
I could hear everybody laughin' for blocks around
But up there at the court house they didn't laugh
'Cause to type it up it took the whole staff
And when they got through the title weighed sixty pounds.

CHORUS
I got it one piece at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

(Spoken) Ugh! Yow, RED RYDER
This is the COTTON MOUTH
In the PSYCHO-BILLY CADILLAC Come on

Huh, This is the COTTON MOUTH
And negatory on the cost of this mow-chine there RED RYDER
You might say I went right up to the factory
And picked it up, it's cheaper that way
Ugh!, what model is it?

Well, It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile.

runeight,

No idea what it will bring. If there are two or more bidders who really want it, it could get interesting.

For just a 1959 Eldorado Seville in this general condition, I'd guess 65-75k (a local friend has a 1960 Seville with 16,000 miles that could use a few things and has turned down $50k).

How much will a bidder add for the lowest mileage 1959 Cadillac, with original full tread tires, exhaust and even original battery?

Probably more important is the car's history, it is the true story of the most famous collector car legend, the Death Car preserved through time.

If a few deep-pocket people get a fancy for the car and its history, the money could be noteable. If only muscle car guys are there at the time, it could be disappointing.

So the answer is that I just don't know, I doubt anybody does. You probably know that the 1953 Howard Hughes Buick 4 dr sedan brought over $1.5M. It's a cool car in some ways, but there are thousands of celebrity cars and that one was rather dowdy.

By comparision, I believe there's only one true example of the death car legend. In any case, it's a little more exciting to look at.

And people go crazy over the story. Out of the 1000+ cars at Barrett-Jackson, this is the one Old Cars Weekly is featuring in its show issue. Barrett-Jackson chose it for this week's press release too.

I'll be near the car most of the week and either my wife Kelly or I will drive it onto the auction block. If you go, be sure to stop by and say Hi.

John

P.S. The Nashua Telegraph did a front page story on it last Saturday, here's the link:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps....2160357

(it takes 5 seconds to load)

then click on the link at the bottom of the page for the other article:

I stopped by and took a look at the car. It is absolutely beautiful. I think the history behind this car is the crowning touch. I want to thank you for spending the time to talk with my girlfriend and me about the car. For me to be able to step beyond the barrier and actually touch this piece of history thrilled me for the rest of the evening. I couldn't stop talking about it.

Oh and thanks again for the advice on the other topic we talked about. I will definitely be getting in touch with you as soon as you get home from your time here in Arizona. Enjoy your time here. If you happen to log on while you're here and would like to go out for dinner, my girlfriend and I would be glad to take you and your wife somewhere.

Again PHENOMENAL car!!! Take care.

Dane

Best of luck with the auction! I'm sure the auction will be watched in my home, so I'll keep a look out for it...
beerchug.gif

Wow, just read the story behind the car! Pretty amazing...aren't you worried you'll miss it? `

I would like to add that he mentioned it would go up on the block at approximately 5:00pm Arizona time on Friday the 19th.

I think the Barrett-Jackson televised auction is the worst thing to happen to us car guys and the car community.  Now we have all these uber-rich maggots that have nothing else better to do than spend a couple mil at a auction.  And they don't even drive the cars they buy! They're "investments",  BullS&*T.  It's about getting out and enjoying the ride, talking about cars, meeting people. Not golfing with your buddies and bragging about how many rare classics that are collecting dust in your private museum.

Now a normal joe can't even buy a 67-72' Chevelle or Camaro because everyone thinks their car is worth $25K when 5 years ago you coulda got the same car for $2500. Heck, even completely rusted out hulks have $3-5K asking prices now. It's a load of crap and i can't wait till the market drops out and all the rich fuggers lose their ass because they spent $1.5 mil for a hemiCuda convertible and it's now worth $90K.

(GMbusa @ Jan. 16 2007,16:09) I think the Barrett-Jackson televised auction is the worst thing to happen to us car guys and the car community.  Now we have all these uber-rich maggots that have nothing else better to do than spend a couple mil at a auction.  And they don't even drive the cars they buy! They're "investments",  BullS&*T.  It's about getting out and enjoying the ride, talking about cars, meeting people. Not golfing with your buddies and bragging about how many rare classics that are collecting dust in your private museum.

Now a normal joe can't even buy a 67-72' Chevelle or Camaro because everyone thinks their car is worth $25K when 5 years ago you coulda got the same car for $2500. Heck, even completely rusted out hulks have $3-5K asking prices now. It's a load of crap and i can't wait till the market drops out and all the rich fuggers lose their ass because they spent $1.5 mil for a hemiCuda convertible and it's now worth $90K.
well said..

wink.gif

Well if they love buying/building these cars and the auction is one of the few ways we get to see these cars, then more power to them. If you want to build or buy one of these then it's your chioce to make it happen. I met the guy and listened to the some of the story behind it and admire him for what he went through to get that car where it is today. Just be happy that he and those like him are doing what they enjoy. I can't afford one and as a matter of fact just sold my "72 RS Camaro project for a whopping $3000.00 and it already had the suspension completely redone with a complete Mark Williams spooled rear end and lots of other go fast goodies so they are still out there to be had for a decent price. You just haven't looked hard enough. Those guys will never lose their money since these cars are just as much a part of our history as anything else. They are and will always be worth something. I don't get upset or mad about all of the guys on this board that have bling'd out busas cuz mine isn't. I don't wish them to lose all their hard earned value that they put into those bikes that they may never get back out of it. I just enjoy looking at them and hopefully I'll get lucky and ride next to them one day.

Have a wonderful day everyone and it's up to you to make it that way!!!!

Dude, my Busa IS blinged out and painted.  The fact is that these Investment types ruin every market they settle into. It's not about the cars to them, it's simply the dollar figure they see. They couldn't care less about anything to do with cars.  Highend muscle cars are the current rage right now. When the market starts souring, they sell and move on to the next big thing.  Where as a die hard carcraft guy, does this leave me? It leaves me with an aftermarket full of inflated prices that's adjusted to the ridiculous prices Barret-Jackson is getting. Hence, that MSD distributor that used to cost $195 is now near the $300 mark. It trickles down.

My disgust isn't fueled by jealousy, it's fueled by my intolerance for stupid, think for themselves people.

(GMbusa @ Jan. 16 2007,20:35) Dude, my Busa IS blinged out and painted.  The fact is that these Investment types ruin every market they settle into. It's not about the cars to them, it's simply the dollar figure they see. They couldn't care less about anything to do with cars.  Highend muscle cars are the current rage right now. When the market starts souring, they sell and move on to the next big thing.  Where as a die hard carcraft does this leave me? It leaves me with an aftermarket full of inflated prices that adjusted to the ridiculous prices Barret-Jackson is getting. Hence, that MSD distributor that used to cost $195 is now near the $300 mark. It trickles down.

My disgust isn't fueled by jealousy, it's fueled by my intolerance for stupid, think for themselves people.
well said........again

wink.gif

Dane,
Thanks for stopping by the car. Meeting you and your girlfriend was a highlight of this event. We're both lucky for a number of things, but having our treasures for female companionship has got to be the greatest. I may take you up on some road trips -- the areas you described are so much better than metro Pinellas. I look forward to talking with you when I return or sooner.

SPEED TV chose the car for "Life on the Block" so for better or worse I'll see the action on reruns for the rest of this year.

As to the other members' comments, I'd prefer that somethings didn't change that way but do you think the government should keep companies from having auctions or keep people from buying what they want?

I hate seeing beautiful PA and FL farmland being turned into souless acres of cookie-cutter houses, too.

At least we can afford horsepower and beauty in motorcycles, and enjoy the progress in them.

John

Give it time and the "investors" will be here. Guy's, buy up the old bikes you want NOW. Before that KZ1000 you've always wanted becomes a $10K cycle.

Spotrot, i never said anything about government intervention. I was merely saying that these "investor" types are a poison to any group they settle to.

Cost of living huh? Everything costs more today then it did five years ago, even one year ago. NOtice the price of that gallon of gas you put in your bling's busa? Or the price of that gallon of milk you buy for your childrens cereal in the morning? Everything cost more even the parts for those cars. It takes more and more money to get those parts made by the companies that have to order parts and then deliver them. Everything in this country has to be delivered and that gas or diesel price gets to you and me eventually. Fuels just plain cost more now so yes the price does trickle down. So the value of everything goes up right? Even those high dollar cars. You don't have to enjoy how those cars got to where they are just enjoy that they are still here for us to enjoy. Not all of them are bought, some are actually built up to the value they represent today. A perfect example is John's beautiful Cadillac. He put his time and his money into that car to save it. Does that mean that his time isn't worth anything?

No hard feelings here as I hope to meet many of the board members in the future. We all have our opinions and that's what makes us such a diverse country. I respect your opinion and I'm good with it.

Later

Dane

I know of the cost of living increases. But the way car prices have shot up in the last couple years isn't from the cost of living.  It's these people that move in, raise the costs up and then leave. Thereby leaving the rest of us with the high costs from the market adjusting to the big spenders and their wheeling and dealing.  I know things generally get more expensive as the years go by but this is something else all together.  

If i had the big bucks to get me hemi car or GTO Judge, i'd drive the wheels off it and have a blast. I'd use the car the way it was intended, yet keep it maintained and in great shape. Sitting in field or in someone's garage where it never moves, i see no difference. Either one is rotting away. Get all these Judge's, Cuda's and Shelby's out on the road and have alittle fun.

Definitely with ya on that one!! Drive 'em like ya stole 'em. I would love to see more of them on the road.

While I can surely understand Paul's stance as an avid car fanatic, the whole "driving up the price of cars" that in years past were within reach of the every day Joe, I do find these auctions as an avenue for many that would never otherwise even get to see some of these types of cars take a peek at them and drool a bit.

Mike's an avid car fanatic; he holds his '65 Mustang dear and there's not much he'd trade it for, even in it's current "non-driving" state, but I know he'd love to go to one of these auctions just to see the myriad of cars, some with an amazing history and great stories to go along with them...can't lump all of these guys in the same category and you have to put yourself in the shoes of that guy that's got a car that will bring in some cash. Hell, if I had a few of 'em, I'd auction 'em off too!

Demand drives that market...can't blame the guys that sell 'em for wanting to turn a profit...it's the American way...I do agree 100% that these cars should be driven and enjoyed over being parked in some museum, but you still do need a sector of society to keep these classics in pristine condition for others to enjoy down the road. You'll never stop people from trying to make a buck on 'em either...

I would hate to see a world where a normal working guy can't afford a decent muscle car. The way it's going were almost there. No wonder why kids go for the import cars now. That's all that's cheap enough to buy.

Back