Marine Corp PPE Requirement Change....

casualdreamer

Registered
I know there are quite a few Military motorcycle riders here on the org. So I thought you all would like to have some updated info. I am the VP of my battalions Motorcycle Club and I get the new updates to orders when they come out. This order change is stating the we know longer have to wear Reflective vest or colors day and night. I don't know if this is good or bad. The vest do help but every accident I have been in cause by vehicles I was wearing a vest and the same goes for my friends. The drivers all say that they didn't see us. I personal have white neons throughout my bike and frieds have some also. Some even have HIDs installed. So here is the info. The choice is up to you to wear them or not. Like know your opinion on the matter to. So I can possibly send feedback to HQ Marine Corp on the subject.

UNCLASSIFIED//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC SD//
SUBJ/CHANGE TO MOTORCYCLE PPE REQUIREMENTS// REF/A/21ST ESB 06MAY09//
REF/B/MCO/MCO 5100.19E MARINE CORPS TRAFFIC SAFETY PROGRAM // POC/GRACE
J.D./COL/CMC SD/-/TEL DSN 224-1202/COMM (703)
614-1202/EMAIL: JAMES.D.GRACE@USMC.MIL// RMRKS/1. PER REF A, ACMC HAS
DIRECTED THE ELIMINATION OF COLOR AND REFLECTIVITY REQUIREMENTS APPLICABLE
TO MOTORCYCLE OUTERWEAR AS SPECIFIED IN REFERENCE B. THIS EFFECTIVELY
ELIMINATES THE REQUIREMENT TO WEAR A "MOTORCYCLE VEST" DURING DAY OR NIGHT
AS WELL AS ANY QUANTIFICATION OF COLOR OR REFLECTIVITY REQUIREMENTS RELATED
TO MOTORCYCLE OUTERWEAR. CORRESPONDING CHANGES TO REF B ARE FORTHCOMING AND
WILL CODIFY THE FOLLOWING:

A. SECTION 2007.C(1)(F) WILL BE REWRITTEN TO STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE WEARING
OF ABRASION PROTECTIVE OUTERWEAR AND ENCOURAGE THE USE OF FLUORESCENT COLORS
AND RETRO-REFLECTIVE MATERIAL APPROPRIATE TO RIDING CONDITIONS.

B. SECTION 1002.B. WILL BE REWRITTEN TO PROMOTE STANDARDIZATION OF
MOTORCYCLE PPE REQUIREMENTS FOR MARINE RIDERS ACROSS MARINE INSTALLATIONS.
SUBORDINATE COMMANDS SHOULD REVIEW THEIR ORDERS TO ENSURE CONSISTENCY WITH
THE CHANGES TO REF B AND CONSIDER ELIMINATION OF REQUIREMENTS THAT ARE
EXCESSIVE OR UNPROVEN IN THEIR EFFECTIVENESS. LOCAL REQUIREMENT VARIANCES
SHALL NOT EXCLUDE MARINE RIDERS FROM BASE ACCESS WHEN THE RIDER'S TRAINING
AND EQUIPMENT COMPLIANCE MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF REF B (AS MODIFIED).

C. REQUIREMENTS FOR HELMETS, GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, LONG SLEEVES, LONG
TROUSERS, AND OVER ANKLE FOOTWEAR REMAIN IN EFFECT. THESE CHANGES ARE NOT
APPLICABLE TO COLOR OR REFLECTIVITY REQUIREMENTS THAT MAY APPLY TO
PEDESTRIANS, JOGGERS, BICYCLISTS, ETC.

2. ADDITIONALLY REF A TASKS ESB MEMBERS WITH REPORTING TO ACMC (VIA CMC-SD)
REGARDING A POTENTIAL CHANGE TO REF B THAT WOULD MANDATE PROTECTIVE JACKETS
FOR MOTORCYCLE RIDERS. THIS INPUT SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO CMC SD BY 07 JUNE

3. THESE CHANGES ARE THE DIRECT RESULT OF RECOGNITION OF MARINE RIDER'S
INPUT AND THE OPINIONS OF SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS ON MULTIPLE FRONTS, AND
PLACE GREATER RESPONSIBILITY ON OUR MARINE MOTORCYCLE RIDERS TO
APPROPRIATELY MANAGE RISK IN THEIR SELECTION AND WEARING OF PPE.

4. QUESTIONS CONCERNING THIS MATTER SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO CMC SD.//

Last edited:
I think most of the gear has reflective material. I know my JR Alter Ego does.

Im in the Navy and reflective vests are only required at night, but strongly reccomended during the day. I wonder if they will change ours as well. I usually receive these changes pretty fast also so I will keep my eyes open.

My Joe Rocket Rave jacket has reflective piping. A lot of guys on base are wearing the Icon Orange Mil Spec vest.

I had heard that many military personel were voicing a concern after 9/11 about the requirement to wear the reflective gear. It basically "painted a target on them" by identifying them as military. Since no other organization in this country requires their employees to wear reflective gear while riding, they felt they were easily identified. I had all ready been out a few years, but I can understand.

I wonder if this is finally a result....typical it took this long the get it done:whistle:

they were trying to implement this when i got out of the Marines. they also require a ton of paperwork and signatures for Marines to buy a motorcycle. I had a big problem with someone i dont even know telling me whether or not i can purchase a motorcycle.

LOL I just noticed you are stationed in Jacksonville. How do you like it there? I was there for 9 months and it sucks. OORAH! :thumbsup:

LOL I just noticed you are stationed in Jacksonville. How do you like it there? I was there for 9 months and it sucks. OORAH! :thumbsup:

I have been here for 4 yrs stationed but my units have been deploying left and right. I have literally been here in the states like 1 1/2 yrs in total. This place is whatever you make it. Yea its pretty boring but I live 5 miles from the drag strip so I spend alot of time there. lol...

I'm in the Army and I never saw the reasoning behind wearing reflective gear in the daytime actually, now at night I don't mind. Now that the Marines have institued this rule I'm sure the other services will follow suit. Thank you Marine Corps.:thumbsup:

Back