Illinois 2011 helmet laws going in to effect?

I disagree with helmet laws and seatbelt laws, because my own safety is of no concern to my government. I do wear mine, almost everywhere I go, but that's my decision. However, I am all in favor of denying medical care to anyone that crashes without one. That would never happen though....so it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Minnesota does not require a helmet while riding.

When I lived there (after 3 years in CA) I rode ONCE without a helmet. Made it 2 blocks and turned around to go back home and get it.

Freedom of choice. Go to your state house / senate and talk to your rep. If you can not go there in person, call them. Dont sit quiet and not let your opinion be heard by someone from your state who can do something about it. You elected them, talk to them.

Minnesota does not require a helmet while riding.

When I lived there (after 3 years in CA) I rode ONCE without a helmet. Made it 2 blocks and turned around to go back home and get it.

Freedom of choice. Go to your state house / senate and talk to your rep. If you can not go there in person, call them. Dont sit quiet and not let your opinion be heard by someone from your state who can do something about it. You elected them, talk to them.

:werd:

I am a firm believer in less government control on the free market as well as on the choices of the public. That being said, I'll also let it be known that I do wear my seat belt in my car and choose to wear a helmet when on my bikes. The reason for the push for a mandatory helmet law is the same reason our state passed it's seat belt law years ago.

Illinois is on the verge of bankruptcy and motorcycle accident victims often end up disabled and on state support for the rest of their lives after their insurance runs out. Illinois just wants to try to reduce the number of future public disability claims as other states have.

. "not required by law" is not the same as "no helmet law"
How so? In IN, IL, (at least for now...) and KY, if you are of a certain age, you do not have to wear a helmet. Hell, in IN you don't even have to wear glasses if you choose not to.

I am a firm believer in less government control on the free market as well as on the choices of the public. That being said, I'll also let it be known that I do wear my seat belt in my car and choose to wear a helmet when on my bikes. The reason for the push for a mandatory helmet law is the same reason our state passed it's seat belt law years ago.

Illinois is on the verge of bankruptcy and motorcycle accident victims often end up disabled and on state support for the rest of their lives after their insurance runs out. Illinois just wants to try to reduce the number of future public disability claims as other states have.
The reason IL and other states have/are pushing mandatory traffic laws such as seatbelts, helmets etc is to generate revenue. Not out of some concern for taxpayers future claims......

How so? In IN, IL, (at least for now...) and KY, if you are of a certain age, you do not have to wear a helmet. Hell, in IN you don't even have to wear glasses if you choose not to.

Every state, with the exception of Iowa and Illinois(for now), has a helmet law. Whether the law requires someone to wear a helmet is different. Just because a state doesn't require a helmet for someone over the age of eighteen, does not mean they do not have a helmet law. They do it's just not required for everyone. HERE is Indiana MC laws. Notice helmets and eye protection are required for riders under 18 and helmets are required for people with learner's permits regardless of age. So while you may not be required by law the state does have a helmet law.

I think it's safe to say that when we're discussing helmet laws, we're speaking in terms of how they apply to present company, which is almost exclusively 18+ as far as I am aware.

Semantics can be a real killjoy.

Then why not just change the requirements to qualify for state disability?

I think it's safe to say that when we're discussing helmet laws, we're speaking in terms of how they apply to present company, which is almost exclusively 18+ as far as I am aware.

Semantics can be a real killjoy.

Well, I know a guy who moved to Texas and was told there wasn't a helmet law and when he got pulled over after living there a year found out that he didn't meet the requirements to ride without a helmet. While they can be a killjoy they can be quite insightful, and provide information.

I'm 38, can I ride without a helmet in Florida?

While I understand that semantics can have a negative effect if not understood, I was referring to what I know to be true from experience in my state, and the surrounding ones in which I ride.
I'm not 38, nor do I ride in FL, so your question doesn't pertain to me. If I planned to do that, I would ask some board members who lived there.......

Well...for the record, yes, no 18+ helmet laws for drivers, granted that you have proper insurance.

Well...for the record, yes, no 18+ helmet laws for drivers, granted that you have proper insurance.

Then its not semantics it is information. I have seen on this board where people say that Florida doesn't require helmets by law, but they do UNLESS you have the proper insurance. That is a key piece of information that is usually left out of these conversations.

It's semantics as it pertains to the majority of our members. That's what I was trying to convey.

Also it is 21+ not 18+ in Florida
SOURCE

Meh...the helmet law was repealed not long ago, so I never paid attention to the age. Good to know.

Last edited:
i think you've come to the wrong site to gripe about new helmet laws. just my two pennies worth.

not really, there are plenty of us who don't always wear helmets...in fact, there are even a couple moderators who don't :thumbsup:

we need to get this bill stuffed back into Springfield!

who cares....if you stupid enough not to wear a helmet then go for it. In the south if you don't wear a helmet you don't have to worry about falling off an dying because the bugs hitting your face will kill you

Back