Making a cluncking noise when coasting down hill.

Bruce Bell

Registered
I've started hearing this clunking sound when coasting like down a hill. I took it home put it on the rear stand and let it run in gear. It's not in the motor, I'm pretty sure of that. I watched the chain and it's not always smooth, it jumps. The chain looks fine and so does the rear sprocket, I can't see the front one. So if the chain looks OK, what could it be? Is it normal when in a low rpm it chugs and makes the lashing in the transmission transfer into the drive tranny? Anybody else have this issue? Or is it normal. Is it in the clutch? I know there is that part in the clutch that slaps around, I've hear of guys welding it so that it doesn't do that. Could there be something going on with the out put shaft that holds the front sprocket, is there any of these issues with this bike? 2006 with 14,000 miles. Thank you.

My guess is that the front sprocket is shark toothed and the chain is either too loose on it and bouncing, or the wear is bad enough that the sprocket needs to be changed.

another option is if the chain has a tight spot between two links, it will cause it to clunk when under load and decelerating (such as when going down a hill)...it may look fine but you can only tell by actually trying the connection between each link

Its most likely the oem slipper clutch hub.
I would not worry about.
As for the chain run out, no sprocket are perfectly round, you are going to have some hops in the chain!

could it also be the cush drive? any play there would give you as similar sound and feedback in the chain. Easy to check, it should not have significant play top to bottom as if grabbing your sprocket at top and bottom and try to wiggle it....see how much play is there. if much it could be that? just replace the rubbers if so.think possible gang?

I would start by cleaning and lubing the chain well. I had an issue somewhat similar to yours except mine would give a clunk clunk clunk sound when accelerating in low gears. Hoping it was a binding link, I gave my chain some love just today and it seems to have taken care of it. It was overdue for service.

Back